White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr Gloria said:
Jack use the phrase....Truth doesnt make a noise ....agin...interesting...

I like it when artists use a recurring phrase or something to that effect throughout their careers. It makes me feel like there's a theme they're trying to get across.

Maybe I'm weird. I know 3 songs on Coldplay's 'X&Y' include a line similar to "If you never try, than you'll never know." That quote is from Speed of Sound, obviously, but it showing up on two other tracks makes it seem like that is a recurring theme in the album and gives it another facet to look at.

Absolutely fucking brilliant. Oh my God, the first listen was a shock but this is just great. I had been raving about X&Y, but now this is truly worth raving about. Could be better than Elephant.

bsp77 said:
Absolutely fucking brilliant. Oh my God, the first listen was a shock but this is just great. I had been raving about X&Y, but now this is truly worth raving about. Could be better than Elephant.

Yes. Yes.

Unfortunately, I think that a lot of people who like the White Stripes will be mildly disappointed. :(

NPR's review (from the guy who reviews music for the Philadelphia Inquirer) was absolutely glowing. Maybe I'll pick it up when I get paid.

pax said:
NPR's review (from the guy who reviews music for the Philadelphia Inquirer) was absolutely glowing. Maybe I'll pick it up when I get paid.

Also, check out AllMusic and Rolling Stone. Both gave 4 1/2 stars, which, if anything, is too low. :wink:

the white stripes have been hit and miss with me. blue orchid is pretty good but i don't think i'll be buying the album til i hear the whole thing first.

would really like to see them live though. :yes:

knox said:

Unfortunately, I think that a lot of people who like the White Stripes will be mildly disappointed. :(

I agree with you. After hearing the first few songs today for the first time, I personally even did a knee jerk "this isn't what I was expecting/wanting, so it's awful!!!"-type reaction. After keeping the album in and playing a little more I realized it was fan-freaking-tastic. This album really is just "weird" compared to their past albums, and it's going to be the exact opposite of what a lot of fans like or are expecting. At the same time, I personally feel that this is a far more rewarding album to listen to than some of their others. It's just a great example of doing something different yet still remaining the same band.

I've listened to it twice now today, and given some of the tracks even more listens. It's just that engaging. I recommend people listen to it with an open mind and knowing it's going to be different. :up:

EDIT: See www.allmusic.com 's review of the album for a great "feel" on what the album is like. Reading their review even helped me appreciate the album a little more, calmed my nerves to know that others had the same initial response. Check it out.

Last edited:
it's pretty meh so far, but i had the same initial reaction to elephant. maybe i'll get to like it better.

This album is incredible. Usually it takes me a few listens to get into something new, but I was blown away with this on the first listen. Genius.

I was a little worried because of all the reports of fans being disappointed in it, but when I finally did listen to it I thought it was great! Definitely one of my favorite albums of the year so far. The White Stripes are so freakin' consistent. They haven't released a bad or even mediocre album yet, IMHO.

Bono's shades said:
I was a little worried because of all the reports of fans being disappointed in it, but when I finally did listen to it I thought it was great! Definitely one of my favorite albums of the year so far. The White Stripes are so freakin' consistent. They haven't released a bad or even mediocre album yet, IMHO.

I think it took a lot of fans off guard, like U2 did with Achtung Baby, for example.

Flying FuManchu said:
Damn... I missed the interview on NPR. Just bought the album yesterday for $9.99 (ecstatci about the price). Interesting stuff. Was listening to My Doorbell and I have to say Jack White is a great singer. Remind people of someone vocally?

Who is Robert Plant.

Red Rain also has an uncanny resemblance.

Flying FuManchu said:
I was thinking Janis Joplin :wink:

Scary, but I can hear that too now.

The more I listen to the album, the more I think that it is the most 'rock' album I have heard in many years. I realize that most of the songs aren't technically rock, but the music has the rock spirit, sense of adventure, and just overall love of music that is usually missing today. Great stuff.

I listened to the "Fresh Air" interview and now I am more determined than ever to own this album. :mad:

(red, white, and black = White Stripes smiley!)

I totally take back all the neutral things I said before. It's really, really grown on me since then and I love the entire album (aside from Passive Manipulation -- sorry, Meg). It's a grower.

Back
Top Bottom