Where to start with the Allmans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I was listening to Greg Allman today on the radio which got me thinking. I don't have a single cd of the Allman Brothers... not even the hits! :ohmy:

But where do I start? Let's see, there's...

1. A Decade Of Hits 1969 - 1979: I was gonna go with the seemingly obvious choice but my roommate says they're better to get into, Live! And he recommended Fillmore instead.

2. The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East: Often called the greatest live set in history. I've heard too much praise for this one. But no Ramblin' Man, Jessica etc.

3. Eat A Peach: Probably the most popular studio album?

4. The Road Goes On Forever (live): 2 disc live set that seems to have all the essentials. Looks very interesting. :hmm:

So.... any Allman fans here? :wink:

I was just hummin a allman bros. tune this morning and thinkin I dont have any allman bros. cds

THAT IS SO WEIRD!

my sister used to have eat a peach

(This is my husband's recommendations - he's a fan!)

Beginnings includes their complete first two releases. Live at Fillmore East is what made them famous, but the songs can be lengthy, with the interplay of Dickey Betts and Duane Allman being the main focus. They both feature Duane Allman, without whom there is no Allman Bros.

But since you may prefer more familiar songs like Jessica and Ramblin Man, maybe decade of hits is a better place to start. If you like In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and Statesboro Blues from that you'll probably enjoy Fillmore East. If you like Ain't Wastin time No More and Midnight Rider, you'll like Beginnings.

In those days, for bands like the Dead and the Allman Bros., audiences expected 3 hour shows (often longer), because they needed time to come down. If you know what I mean
5427.gif

Lila64 said:

In those days, for bands like the Dead and the Allman Bros., audiences expected 3 hour shows (often longer), because they needed time to come down. If you know what I mean
5427.gif

:drool:

Why wasn't I a teenager in the 70s? :drool:

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions! I think I'll just pick up Decade for starters. I heard many of the samples and they sound great! :)

Back
Top Bottom