Whatsername

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I the only person here that loves American Idiot (the album) to death? I swear I've seen other people like bsp talk about their love for it before. As much as I liked Dookie, it was quite juvenile in parts. This is mature, ambitious and rocking Green Day at it's finest! Letterbomb and Whatsername are such perfect rock songs! But I can understand if the videos ruined this album for some of you. The videos could have been so much better!

You're definitely not the only one!...I've taken some time away from Listening to Green Day of late...but I put on American Idiot on Sunday afternoon...and its been a few months since i've played it in full..and wow...yep its such a good album!

Here's hoping for a follow up in late 07 but more likely 2008.

Nice video :up: I thought the album was really good, in fact I still think that. I overplayed it a bit and consequently haven't listened to it in a few months - but it really is fantastic, and it really irritates me, the people who refuse to like it because it bought them back into the mainstream or whatever :shrug: Meh, their loss.

Apparently they've got some huge album planned, and they're also doing the soundtrack to the new Simpsons movie, which I'm a bit dubious about :huh:

This is still one of my favorite albums from the past 5 years. People dislike Green Day mainly because of their earlier output, but American Idiot is a classic and one of the best albums of this decade - I don't care what anyone else says.

phanan said:
This is still one of my favorite albums from the past 5 years. People dislike Green Day mainly because of their earlier output, but American Idiot is a classic and one of the best albums of this decade - I don't care what anyone else says.

:yes: :up:

It's one of the only albums in the last few years that I listen from start to finish without skipping any tracks.

While I'm not sure if it's a classic just yet— simply because it still is fairly recent— I believe that this album will stand the test of time and still sound good years from now.

This will kill my credibility, but I must say that I really, really liked American Idiot as well. Whatsername is one of the worst songs, unfortunately, but it's decent. Every album they did before it just sucked, however. :yuck:

phanan said:
American Idiot is a classic and one of the best albums of this decade - I don't care what anyone else says.

I agree! :hi5:

LemonMelon said:
This will kill my credibility, but I must say that I really, really liked American Idiot as well.

:lol: Why are you seeing liking Green Day as losing credibility? Guilty pleasure? :| Different music move different people.

BonoManiac said:

:yes: :up:

It's one of the only albums in the last few years that I listen from start to finish without skipping any tracks.

While I'm not sure if it's a classic just yet— simply because it still is fairly recent— I believe that this album will stand the test of time and still sound good years from now.
Agreed!:up:

LemonMelon said:
This will kill my credibility, but I must say that I really, really liked American Idiot as well. Whatsername is one of the worst songs, unfortunately, but it's decent. Every album they did before it just sucked, however. :yuck:
I agree too that Whatsername is one of my least favourites on the album.

It's not a bad song, exactly...it's just that Homecoming is so much better, and Whatsername is a bit disappointing as a closer. :shrug:

I enjoy Jesus Of Suburbia more than Homecoming. And sometimes when I'm impatient to get to Whatsername, I skip Homecoming. :shifty: :wink:

I don't look at Whatsername as the closer - I see it more as an epilogue. Homecoming finishes the album - I consider American Idiot one long piece of music that has a beginning, a middle, and an end. Homecoming is the end.

Whatsername, to me, almost sounds like it takes place later. Kind of like looking back at the events of the album itself. So in that sense, it works well. For me, anyway.

phanan said:
I don't look at Whatsername as the closer - I see it more as an epilogue. Homecoming finishes the album - I consider American Idiot one long piece of music that has a beginning, a middle, and an end. Homecoming is the end.

Whatsername, to me, almost sounds like it takes place later. Kind of like looking back at the events of the album itself. So in that sense, it works well. For me, anyway.

You're right! Never thought of it that way! I see Whatsername like A Day In The Life or Her Majesty, something that occurs after the show comes to a close.

LemonMelon said:
It's not a bad song, exactly...it's just that Homecoming is so much better, and Whatsername is a bit disappointing as a closer. :shrug:

It's the only think I dislike in the album... the ending couple Homecoming/Whatsername. Not that theu're bad songs, but they're weaker and Jesus Of Suburbia is much better than Homecoming.

Back
Top Bottom