What's your favorite music style?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aine_hewson

Acrobat
Being in a U2 forum, we all have something in common, liking U2!
But what's your favorites music styles, besides U2???

Mine:
Some underground like: Travis, Flaming Lips, Belle & Sebastian
Electronic/Pop: Moby, Chemical Brothers, Fischerspooner, Fatboy Slim, Madonna
Rock: INXS, Talking Heads, REM, Incubus, Pearl Jam, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Velvet Underground, Extreme
Blues: Eric Clapton, BTO, BB King, Louis Amstrong, Etta James

Others: Macy Gray, Ira, Nenhum de N?s, Sombrero Luminoso

What are yours?

For lack of better descriptions:

"Garage" (White Stripes, Strokes, etc) and "Goth-y" (The Cure, Depeche Mode, Interpol, Marilyn Manson, etc), and various "alterna" rock (PJ Harvey, Radiohead, 80s, etc)

Chill out - Chicane - Enigma - orbital - A Man called adam that type of stuff..

Alternative - Coldplay, Pulp, James, Stone Roses, Supergrass, the Cure, The white stripes, Embrace

Some Dance when the mood takes me (or more likely the drink)

oyster rock. it's an interesting blend of surf rock and oi! music, with lyrics exclusivly about aquatic plants.

honestly: what skeek said (only tailored to my own description as to what sucks and what does not, of course)

Classic rock, alternative, new wave, some European pop stuff, punk, rap...basically, I've enjoyed music from pretty much every genre, the only exceptions being most country music (stuff like Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson and them is cool), religious music (i.e., music that caters specifically to one religion), and most disco (for some reason, I like remakes of disco songs better than the originals :shrug:...).

Angela

my first attempt at quoting, so apologies if i mess this up.

"Garage" (White Stripes, Strokes, etc) and "Goth-y" (The Cure, Depeche Mode, Interpol, Marilyn Manson, etc), and various "alterna" rock (PJ Harvey, Radiohead, 80s, etc)

:up:

Chill out - Chicane - Enigma - orbital - A Man called adam that type of stuff..

:yes:

allow me to add: nickodemus, wax poetic, royksopp, saint germain, and of course, moby

aine_hewson said:

There are some ppl that only like one band, and that's the one band, never another band... :eyebrow:

not trying to call anyone on it or anything, but i notice a lot of the time, a lot of those people are u2 fans. :shrug: whatever floats your boat, i guess.

Yeah, I too try not to limit myself musically speaking. I'll listen to anything, if it's good/awesome.

I tend to always dig good indie and real alternative rock though.

I hate trying to describe my taste I music. I listen to alternative or classic rock a lot. I love the blues. Classical is alright, if I'm in the right mood. I really don't care.

Not to split hairs with anyone, but this thread is called "What's Your Favorite Music Style?" and not "What Styles of Music Do You Listen to?" -- if that was the case, I would have listed rap, triphop, hiphop, jazz and on and on. :shrug:

Last edited:
I know I'm between U2 fans, I am one, but I don't know if you ever met anyone that if you said that some other band's song was cool, they would look at you like "no way, no other band's songs is cool except the one I like" -- I meant that... that no one here seems to be against other types...

HelloAngel said:
Not to split hairs with anyone, but this thread is called "What's Your Favorite Music Style?" and not "What Styles of Music Do You Listen to?" -- if that was the case, I would have listed rap, triphop, hiphop, jazz and on and on. :shrug:

which is really hard to do...

aine_hewson said:
I know I'm between U2 fans, I am one, but I don't know if you ever met anyone that if you said that some other band's song was cool, they would look at you like "no way, no other band's songs is cool except the one I like" -- I meant that... that no one here seems to be against other types...

no, but every so often someone says "hey, have you heard____, they sound like u2!!!" or "i love___ (not as much as i love u2 of course!!!!)"

i'm not trying to pick a fight. i don't even know why i'm bothering about this.

street rock n roll/punk. that's the closest i can get to picking a favorite style/genre of music. sometimes known as oi, but not as restrictive, yet not to include crust punk (because they're basically just hippies with spikey hair). that's the description (although it's hard labeling stuff) the majority of my favotire bands fit.

I guess the most common theme in my musical taste is that I seem to like 'message music', music that has political lyrics or messages in the songs. A lot of my favourite artists sing about issues that are quite important, from Xavier Rudd, Asian Dub Foundation, Paul Kelly, Michael Franti, and even U2. But I guess if I had to pick just one style, it would probaby be aoustic, singer songwriter, folk/rock, but with that said, I pretty much like everything:wink:

SkeeK said:
everything except that which sucks

I am going to modify my previous statement.

I also don't like music that is mediocre. It's gotta be a cut above the rest, ya know, otherwise 'tain't worth ma valyabull time.

I realized this when talking to a less elitist, less musically enlightened individual who was making bold statements about various bands being good. And these bands were probably pretty good, just not interesting enough to warrant interest.

God I love being right.

my favourite style is "music none of you would listen to because you just don't get it"

:up:

Back
Top Bottom