What's your best album of 2004?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Elliott Smith--From A Basement On the Hill
2. The Fiery Furnaces--Blueberry Boat
3. Tears For Fears--Everybody Loves A Happy Ending
4. The Killers--Hot Fuss
5. Mark Knopfler--Shangri-La
6. Patti Smith--Trampin'
7. Tom Waits--Real Gone
8. Brian Wilson--Smile
9. Loretta Lynn--Van Lear Rose
10. PJ Harvey--Uh Huh Her

Honorable mentions to Wilco's A Ghost Is Born and Radiohead's Absolution (I mean, uh, Muse's).

Dishonorable mentions to R.E.M.'s Around the Sun and Green Day's American Idiot. I tried, I really did.

Not crazy about How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb yet either, but I probably just owe it a few more listens.

Last edited:
I havent bought who killed the zutons yet but I really like the 3 singles ive heard! Im so glad they are supporting Muse in December!!!

Anyway I'll do a top 3 cos there have been a lot of good albums this year:

1. HTDAAB - U2
2. Hopes and Fears - Keane
3. Around The Sun - REM

Dishonorable mentions to R.E.M.'s Around the Sun and Green Day's American Idiot. I tried, I really did.

Not crazy about How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb yet either, but I probably just owe it a few more listens. [/B]

Ditto.

beau2ifulday said:
Always interesting to know the CDs that everyone else enjoyed this year!
For me, it's Regina Spektor's 'Soviet Kitsch'

:up: I was supposed to go see her in London in July, but my bag got stolen about two hours before the gig, so I wasn't in the mood to go anymore. :mad:

Actually, I take back Green Day since I really only know three songs. I do like those three songs though but I don't know if it's the best. Franz Ferndinand. I like but I got bored with it very quickly. So Killers Hot Fuss is the only one I can say FOR SURE.

I have checked out Welcome to the North- The Music. I really like it but again, I have to give it some time.

Peace Y'all.

Yay, The Zutons! They are defintely on the "albums I need to get" list.

I forgot to put Musicology by Prince on my list. I also listened to A Ghost is Born for the first time in a long time yesterday, and realized I really like it after all. Brian Wilson's Smile is also brilliant.

And I did finally break down and listen to HTDAAB. I'm trying to only listen to the download once and have it seem kind of fresh again when I actually buy it, so I haven't totally absorbed it yet, but I'm sure it will be in my Top 10, if not #1. I know "Vertigo" is single of the year for me, without a doubt.

For the first year in my life, I just can't decide for sure. It's a toss-up between The Fiery Furnaces' Blueberry Boat and The Streets' A Grand Don't Come For Free .

Honorable mentions in no particular order:

U2's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Franz Ferdinand's self-titled debut
Dizzee Rascal's Boy In Da Corner
The Arcade Fire's Funeral
Secret Machines' Now Here Is Nowhere
Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose

GRRRRRRRRR at people picking more than 1! No fair! :lol:

I would have put more.

Oh, hell, I still can't narrow it down. This has been a good year, in my opinion. :up:

Top 5 (in random order):

The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free
The Veils - The Runaway Found
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus
U2- HTDAAB

1. U2 - HTDAAB
2. Interpol - Antics
3. Franz Ferdinand
4. Wilco - A Ghost is Born
5. Modest Mouse - Good News...

I must also honorably mention Snow Patrol and The Killers. Just started listening to them, they may make the list but too early to tell.

Maybe the Best of all time?

Hey I downloaded late Saturday night cause I'm a fan and the album Rocks! but I'm still going to buy the album
I listened to the album several times and I have to say it is amazing. I'm starting to beleive when U2 said this may be there best album yet. That is way too early to say but I am really getting into the songs. It feels like I'm back in the JT days and it's only 4 days into this album. It's like a drug, I can't get enough of it. I like all 11 tracks even Vertigo sounds better and I can see why they put that one out as there first single. But another one which is becoming my favourite is "City of blinding light" Its reminscent of "where the street have no name" The way it build ups is incredible, and Edge is at is best, I love it and it definately doesn't hurt that it is the longest song on the album, I think 5:31. Alot of Songs are reminscent of JT and older stuff. I can see why Bono said this is very much Edges album as you can pretty well hear him in every song. He is just amazing and I have been waiting since AB for Edges masterfull return. Then theres "sometimes u can't make it on your own" If you have children or someone you really care about it you will definately feel this one. "Because of you" also rocks as Edge really struts it. Then there is "Original of the species" which again u can feel the the music and the words. I think I could go on and on. I recommend you buy the album as soon it come out! Hopefully there release it earlier so everyone can get.
And in the world today with all the crap , this album makes you feel there is still hope for us yet. The HTDAAB is the perfect name for this album. U2 rules! They by far are the greatest Rock band to walk the earth!

Re: Maybe the Best of all time?

messem said:
Hey I downloaded late Saturday night cause I'm a fan and the album Rocks! but I'm still going to buy the album
I listened to the album several times and I have to say it is amazing. I'm starting to beleive when U2 said this may be there best album yet. That is way too early to say but I am really getting into the songs. It feels like I'm back in the JT days and it's only 4 days into this album. It's like a drug, I can't get enough of it. I like all 11 tracks even Vertigo sounds better and I can see why they put that one out as there first single. But another one which is becoming my favourite is "City of blinding light" Its reminscent of "where the street have no name" The way it build ups is incredible, and Edge is at is best, I love it and it definately doesn't hurt that it is the longest song on the album, I think 5:31. Alot of Songs are reminscent of JT and older stuff. I can see why Bono said this is very much Edges album as you can pretty well hear him in every song. He is just amazing and I have been waiting since AB for Edges masterfull return. Then theres "sometimes u can't make it on your own" If you have children or someone you really care about it you will definately feel this one. "Because of you" also rocks as Edge really struts it. Then there is "Original of the species" which again u can feel the the music and the words. I think I could go on and on. I recommend you buy the album as soon it come out! Hopefully there release it earlier so everyone can get.
And in the world today with all the crap , this album makes you feel there is still hope for us yet. The HTDAAB is the perfect name for this album. U2 rules! They by far are the greatest Rock band to walk the earth!

RAWK!!!!!11111!!!1!!

1. Everclear-Best Of
2. Tears For Fears-Everybody Loves A Happy Ending
3. Keane-Hopes And Fears
4. Muse_Sing For Absoultion(maybe not 2004)
5. Placebo_Sleeping With Ghost(maybe not 2004)

Here are my choices...

Muse - Absolution
IQ - Dark Matter
Five For Fighting - The Battle For Everything
Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
David Bowie - Reality(not sure of the release date, but I think it was earlier this year)
Marillion - Marbles

Wilco - A Ghost is Born

I think so far I even like it better than HTDAAB but i've only listened to HTDAAB a few times, and it gets better every time.

Only a matter of time...:yes:

Back
Top Bottom