What's the best Biography/Autobiography you've ever read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Swallow

Bad Daddy Johnny
Mainly I'm looking for recomendations here.

My choice would have to be Eddie Rickenbacker's Autobio. The man could fix anything, did everything, went everywhere and was humble as could be. It's a great story, easy read and humorous as well.

I'm currently reading Gerry Spence's autobiography, "The Making of a Country Lawyer". I'm halfway through it and recommend it for the beautiful language he utilizes. He takes you from his humble beginnings in the backwoods of the Wyoming hills to his current state of being. He avoids the technical details of his profession in exchange for a vivid account of life outside the city, living off the land, helping the average Joe combat the looming corporations.

I also recommend Stanley Kubrick's biography by a guy named Vincent....? Check it out

Doesn't anyone read books anymore? You know, those paper web-pages that you find on shelves...I guess it's a lost cause.

I just read "Leap of Faith" by Queen Noor of Jordan. I really enjoyed it; she is an inspiring woman and I learned a lot about her country and the US's interaction with the Middle East.

Gilda Radner- It's Always Something
Mayor Giuliani - Leadership
Lance Armstrong - It's All About The Bike
Days Of Grace - Arthur Ashe
Just As I Am - Rev Billy Graham
Glory Days - Dave Marsh
Tis - Frank Mc Court, and of course Angela's Ashes
Lucky Man - Michael J Fox

I'd like to read Leap Of Faith..I don't read enough :eek:

Last edited:
Johnny Swallow said:
Doesn't anyone read books anymore? You know, those paper web-pages that you find on shelves...I guess it's a lost cause.

I read books a-plenty, I just have no interest in biographies.

Last edited:
It was a Bono-graphy.How he got in U2 and basically his whole life story.It's better then Unforgettable Fire by Eamonn Dunphy.The name of the book I have is Bono..Hif life,music,and passion by Laura Jackson.I recommend it to all fans.5 Stars to Bonoman!

Off with the horns..
On with the show..

~MacPhisto~

I've only read two in my life so far
one from
Leonard Nimoy :hug: - I am Spock (his second one)
and Bill Flanagans - U2 at the end of the world
I thought both where very good

AdamsPoptart said:
It was a Bono-graphy.How he got in U2 and basically his whole life story.It's better then Unforgettable Fire by Eamonn Dunphy.The name of the book I have is Bono..Hif life,music,and passion by Laura Jackson.I recommend it to all fans.5 Stars to Bonoman!

ooh i read that one too :wave: was excellent.

i bought madonnas biography too um some time ago actually but havent got round to reading it yet.

i am a huge fan of her music but not really been interested in her personal life, only whats been splashed across the papers and whatever. i bought the book cos it was 2 for ?10 :)

i will have to read it soon.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Gilda Radner- It's Always Something

Great book!!

Here are some I've enjoyed:

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt
The Killer Angels - Michael Shaara
Running with Scissors - Augusten Burroughs
King Leopold's Ghost - Adam Hochschild
Child Called "It" - Dave J. Pelzer, Dave Pelzer (so sad and chilling)
Night - Elie Wiesel (same as above book)
I May be Wrong but I Doubt It - Charles Barkley :)D)

i may be wrong but i doubt it was a great book... i dunno if i'd call it a bio/autobio though... more like just chuck giving his opinions on stuff... good read none-the-less

life on the run by bill bradley was another great read... but to be perfectly honest with you, the best autobiography i've ever read... it was #1 on the NYT list for months... i thought it would be stupid, but it was absolutely phenomenal... Blood And Sweatsocks by Mick Foley

After much thinking, I finally thought of a biography I've read that I would actually recommend to other people:

"Musui's Story: The Autobiography of a Tokugawa Samurai" By Katsu Kokichi (translated by Teruko Craig)

I found it excessively interesting, but I'm into all that kind of stuff.

Brian Wilson's autobiography, Wouldn't It Be Nice was riveting. Unfortunately, there have been legal disputes and claims from family members that it was fraudulent ever since it was released (1991) but I thought it was incredible. Plus I was working for the publisher at the time and got to meet Brian and attend a private concert at the publishing party.

Bob Geldof's Is That It? was also incredible. I don't know if either of these books are available anymore, though--maybe through online used book services.

I love this genre. Realism:up:
Impossible to name a favourite.
I have a pile a mile high in my room to read. I recently bought Nelson Mandella's one. I look forward to reading that.
Christy Moore
Paula Yates
David Bowie(numerous)
Freddie Mercury(of course)
Dalai Llama's sister
Chico Mendez
Aung San Sui Kyi
Oasis

I'm just a big sticky beak:)
there is lots to be learned
:hug:books:up:
is the bible considered a biography? I quite like that one:)

:heart:puppylove:heart:

that would be

:heart:puppylove:heart:

I am soooooooooo tired and in a hurry
sorry musiclovers:wave:

it happened again
??????
:lmao:
try again?
:heart: puppylove :heart:

:lmao: I just worked out what i did wrong
:lmao:
:reject:

"Edie" written about Edie Sedgwick, Andy Warhol's "it" girl of the 1960s....she had an amazingly privileged, tragic, psychedelic life, and died way too young. Someone who had everything but it still all went wrong. I may just have to read it again.

Back
Top Bottom