What's in a name/nickname?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My name is Robert, I usually go by Rob, and as long as people don't call me Bob, Bobby etc., I'm fine. I'm not to fond of being called Robert though, my father is the only one who calls me that and it just reminds me of him yelling at me when I was little!! BIG TROUBLE!!!!
wink.gif
At work I often go by the Nicknames Murdock or Zooropa/Zoo.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

My name is Katherine. Back home, everybody calls me Katie or Kate. Here, people either call me Katherine or Kat. Kathy is the only name I don't really go by. However, I had a job interview once, and I really wanted the job. The interview went well, and I got hired. The last question my new boss had for me was, "What name do you prefer to go by?" I said, "Oh, I get called every variation...it doesn't matter!'" She said, "Okay! We'll call you Kathy!" I was thinkin', that's the only name I DON'T get called! But I just smiled and went with it. It felt odd though to always be called Kathy!

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

Originally posted by Sicy:
I see.

Well.. my name is Christine and when people call me Chris, I dont like it.

My name is Christopher. I hate it when people call me Christine.

CK

my name is alice. i hated it when i was young, so everyone called me ally. stuck until high school- then i decided my name was cool.
wink.gif
been going by alice ever since...

one of my best friends calls me lissi, a few go by "aleece" (french pronunciation- lol!), a couple still call me ally- but most go by alice (which i prefer). only hate it when people call me "al"...
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by *Ally* (edited 05-16-2002).]

Well, my name is Anthony, but I prefer to be called Tony. When I started High School, I decided I wanted to just change my whole image, so I changed my name as well. It took a while, but most people call me Tony. I'm not the stereotypical Tony who grabs his balls every 5 seconds to rearrange them. I don't drive an I-ROC or a Camaro. I drive a Honda Civic and I fix my balls in the morning.
When I was a kid, I was called:
Ant
Antny
Antonio
Dickhead

If I intoduce myself as Tony and that person calls me Anthony,it immmediately establishes that that person is an asshole.

Gabriel is a good name. You should've been on Beverly Hills 90210. You could've fucked Kelly or Donna.

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

Originally posted by cass:

PS: not every one knew that olive. I just read a quote about that from Bono recently.Humble apologies.

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 05-16-2002).]

Sorry Cass I didn't mean to come off sounding so angry about it.. eeks! I should have understood that... really i was thinking about one person I knew and generalized- sorry
smile.gif

My name is Elizabeth and I don't really like my name but I've gotten use to it.
Lise is a nickname given by my sister and I actually don't know how she came up with this name. I don't like it when people call me Liz, Lisa or Lizzie.
Whenever someone asks me what's my name I don't pronounce it with an E but with an A.

Gabriel,

I am very sorry... I know that I am one of the people that have been shortening your name... It won't happen again, I guess that it is just here, on an internet forum, where we tend to get lazy....

As for me... my name is Kelly, and almost everyone calls me Kel. I am used to it, and it doesn't bother me
smile.gif

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

Originally posted by kobayashi:
my name is dave so, umm...yeah.

David. That's my baby daddy name. Are you my Baby daddy? Where's my check? LOL!
icon39.gif

------------------
When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

Wow I go away for a bit and lookie lookie!!

You are all too kind, and I've really enjoyed getting to know your proper names...

After reading superjoe's comment I realized that the most obvious reason some called me Gabe was the one I missed: out of affection or to be friendly.

So to those who did do that, no worries whatsoever...I guess I should just get over my old aversion!
smile.gif

To be honest it's kinda cool that people like Kelly, Whacka, etc, that I know in real life outside these forums look upon me enough as a friend to call me a nickname.

Take care you all, Im gone for the weekend!!

Gabriel

[This message has been edited by gabrielvox (edited 05-16-2002).]

Very interesting. Gabriel, I know I called you Gabe in a post recently (probably FYM) and actually paused and tried to remember if I had seen you refer to yourself as Gabe ever. I know a lot of people who either never want their full first name used, or never want it shortened. I have a good friend David, who doesn't like being called Dave, but I know two other Dave's who feel the opposite way. I can never keep up with this crap!

Anyway, don't feel to bad about your possible nicknames. It could be worse. Since second grade, everybody has called me Boobs.

i've had similar circumstances Gabriel...

My first name is Kathleen. My mother wanted to name me Maura, but my father wouldnt hear of it! When I was little, my mother made it a point that everyone call me Kathleen, and not Katie, Kathy, Kate etc like everyone did. Of course at the time I always wanted to be ANYTHING but Kathleen. Over the last 10 years or so though,I have come to prefer Kathleen, and if someone calls me something else, I politely correct them.A group of close friends and all my brothers call me K, but that's about the extent of it! I try not to let myself automatically give people nicknames unless they introduce themselves that way. I especially cringe when I'm called Kathy.

------------------

Say Goodbye, Don't Follow.

Rest in Peace Layne.

Originally posted by MrPryck2U:

Gabriel is a good name. You should've been on Beverly Hills 90210. You could've fucked Kelly or Donna.

Not Donna... she remained a virgin for a very long time....

Gabriel, are you coming to the J/G tonight?

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

well my name is Kirk but I have several nicknames.

Captain is the obvious one, and my most popular one.

I have also been known to drink really fast and so I have gained the nickname, "scotchie"

Lastly, once I spelled my name wrong - krik - so I have the nickname - Krick as well.

Sometimes people combine all of them:
Captain Scotchie Krick
at your service
-----------

BTW, kirk means "Church"....

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Back
Top Bottom