Whats all the fuss about Radiohead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pepokiss said:
well... they must do something better than the rest to be popular...

Hahaha...no. According to this logic, the Jonas Brothers are a superior rock band to Porcupine Tree. One is on the charts, and the other isn't. :wink:

Radiohead best of being released by EMI.... good set list, but EMI sucks for doing it without Radiohead's approval. :(

BTW... radiohead are known for writing challenging songs, using unusual chord voicings, strange timing and subtle hooks. Its no wonder a lot of people don't like them.... but it's easy to see why people with musical taste do :p

Gonna Run 2 U said:
Whenever U2 items are for sale they have Radiohead as related. I see no relation, they are crap. Karrrrmmmaaaa Pooollliiiceee = awful. People claim that U2 are the most over rated band - WRONG, Radiohead is definitely up there. I feel that people say they like them to feel sophisticated and have a "good taste" in music. They are experimental garbage...sorry i had to get that off my chest.

I think I love you:drool:

To me Radiohead, produces, mmh, good music, regular music, nothing extraordinaire, or special, I agree with the title of this thread, what's the fuss ?

In the past , they released good songs, great albums, The Bends and Ok computer , for example, then , since Kid-A, until now with In Rainbows, they are producing music specially directed to the snob critic , and to "very smart and informed people": I'm-more-smart-than-you-because-I'm-listening-and-digging-In-Rainbows-and-I-didn't-spend-1-cent-for-it

Oh Jebus !, zero rock, zero attitude, just some atmopsherics divagations, poor melodies, layers and layers of mumbled electro effects, with "strangcryptic chords, and "seudo-mystic" lyrics: "yeah, everybody will choke, someday !!"

Oh, but it's cool, man, they are kicking to the industrie in the ass, poor blind , you cannot see it.

Probably because, like most, you disregard everything by the person who posted it.

I was hoping this thread would die, but hey! There's another "only snobs like Radiohead" jackass to put us all in our places for liking sophisticated music made by talented individuals. Maybe you'll get it in ten years, keep trying.

I'd like to know how Bodysnatchers = "zero rock".

intedomine said:
Pretty overhyped band

OVERHYPED? by whom? Since 2000 they've made almost no singles, no promo videos, no interviews, no MTV, no Super Bowl, no Oprah, no iPod, no commercials, etc, etc. Nowhere near as the amount of canned s*** that surround every new U2 release, Bono's moneytalks, Grammys and Rolling Stones magazine included :censored:

DarkAcrobat said:
Oh Jebus !, zero rock, zero attitude, just some atmopsherics divagations, poor melodies, layers and layers of mumbled electro effects, with "strangcryptic chords, and "seudo-mystic" lyrics: "yeah, everybody will choke, someday !!"
If "attitude" and "rock" means childish and amateurish attempt at mainstream radio hits for teenagers like Vertigo and Elevation, I prefer a band with zero rock and zero attitude rather than that selling out MTV pap :yes:

ponkine said:

OVERHYPED? by whom? Since 2000 they've made almost no singles, no promo videos, no interviews, no MTV, no Super Bowl, no Oprah, no iPod, no commercials, etc, etc. Nowhere near as the amount of canned s*** that surround every new U2 release, Bono's moneytalks, Grammys and Rolling Stones magazine included :censored:

You should write one incredibly long, arrogant spiel about the music industry and just copy/paste the most applicable parts over and over when necessary. Maybe you already do.

ponkine said:

He didn't say overpromoted, he said over 'HYPED'.

I do think far far too many give Radiohead the untouchable treatment.

I don't think any band deserves the untouchable treatment; The Beatles, U2, Pink Floyd, Hanson... etc...

Hype IS promotion, whether it comes from the record company, commercials, or the mouths of the bands themselves. Radiohead's only complicity is giving interviews. It's not their fault critics and fans have put them on a pedestal, but the bottom line is, what band better deserves to be put on one? Fucking Wilco?

There are a serious lack of capital-A artists making music that is actually listenable and pleasing to the ear. We could use a lot more of them. Radiohead isn't the problem here; they're not perfect but they're still pushing the envelope. Even when they scale it back a bit they still get shit from detractors, so they really can't win here.

lazarus said:
Hype IS promotion,

Yes, but promotion isn't Hype.

lazarus said:

they're not perfect but they're still pushing the envelope.

I love Radiohead, but it's fans like yourself that help in the hype department because you honestly think they are "pushing the envelope".

RH pushed the envelope with Kid A. They slid the envelope slightly with Amnisiac, but since then they are just writing some good tunes in their style.

The pay-what-you-want download of In Rainbows was definitely a big push of the envelope.

joyfulgirl said:
The pay-what-you-want download of In Rainbows was definitely a big push of the envelope.

Yeah, I actually think this has really been blown out of proportion as well, indie bands have been giving out their music from their website for years now... And technically they were an Indie band at the time, they just happen to the biggest Indie band at the time. :shrug:

And when I say "pushing the envelope" I mean that they're still trying new things. In Rainbows may sound a bit more familiar, but there's only so far you can go before you're completely unrecognizable and lose whatever unique assets the band had in the first place.

As I said, they scaled back this time, and made something pretty accessible, and yet we still have jokers coming on here and saying they're making music for critics. What the fuck is that? Like the band cares about that stuff.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah, I actually think this has really been blown out of proportion as well, indie bands have been giving out their music from their website for years now... And technically they were an Indie band at the time, they just happen to the biggest Indie band at the time. :shrug:

Yeah, unknown bands have been giving their music away because it was sometimes the only way to be heard at all. Completely different than Radiohead giving theirs away.

But the whole concept of what's overrated has always been hard for me to wrap my brain around. The whole argument seems kind of silly.

joyfulgirl said:

Yeah, unknown bands have been giving their music away because it was sometimes the only way to be heard at all. Completely different than Radiohead giving theirs away.
Fair enough...

joyfulgirl said:

But the whole concept of what's overrated has always been hard for me to wrap my brain around. The whole argument seems kind of silly.

I agree, and I definately don't believe they are overrated...

I kinda agree with BVS to an extent. They haven't really done anything innovative since Kid A. Sure the last two albums are anything but a rehash, but they're certainly a far stretch from "pushing the envelope" so to speak. And even then, Kid A was only a real breakthrough for the type of musical circle Radiohead sort of worked in at the time. Not saying they don't deserve all (or at least most) of the praise their fans give them, but I think they're given too much credit when it comes to expanding the musical language.

I agree with you to an extent that they didn't do anything already done by U2/Eno on Passengers or Autechre, to name a couple.

Again, what I meant was that they're not writing the same thing over and over again. They continue to try new things on almost every song, and that's certainly continued since Kid A.

As I said before, there's only so far out you can go before you've strayed too far from what made you good in the first place. You may not like In Rainbows, but it's still not a "safe" album by anyone else's standards, and shouldn't be considered one by theirs, either.

He lives with his mother, but we show him respect.
He's a dangerous bigot, but we always forget.

Back
Top Bottom