Whatever happened to Farmclub.com?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel

Elvis' Naughty Angel
the website and the TV show? :scratch:

I guess it was a rather shortlived concept. I know of one band that became successful because of it, and well, hey, they had U2 perform.

Just curious, anyone?

Well, it was this TV show that aired in the States for awhile. Maybe a year? I dunno. Anyway, all I know is that they were first and foremost a website where new and independent artists could send in their demos and possibly get on the show... and then from there, possibly get a record deal. A band called "blah blah blah Trail of Dead" were on there and now have a record deal.
It was mostly garage bands and quite honestly not so good music, but U2 performed and it was an interesting concept. I am just curious what happened to the whole thing, because not only is the show gone, but so too is the website.

The hosts were really annoying. :crack:

:shocked: Well there you go. Me answer lies within that article. The show did take off yertle, but it obviously died a quick and silent death.

At its core, "Farmclub.com" is simply an extended commercial for the biggest record label in the world, presented under the guise of wholesomely unwholesome pop-culture entertainment. For starters, the show is a block of paid programming, like an infomercial, which means that "Jimmy and Doug's Farmclub.com" buys airtime from USA outright, and then sells the commercial time itself.

In return for providing some cool content, some performances and interviews, Seagram (via its record labels) receives a few enviable benefits. First, the conglomerate gets the opportunity to build an alliance with consumers, making them feel as if they are part of a faceless industry. Surfers can log on to the Farmclub.com Web site, listen to audio files by unsigned acts and cast votes for which artists will appear on upcoming programs. The band-o'-the-week winner gets a visit from Pinfield, shiny-happy mug and cameras in tow. The procedure manages to make Seagram look like it actually cares about been-nowhere garage bands. Meanwhile, the Universal A&R team gets a ready-made test market.

I feel so naive. :|

TV show used to be ok. I liked seeingn all the bands perform.

U2 performed on there, actually some of the live tracks on one of the singles, I think it was the Stuck or Elevation single, were from that show.

It was just a big commecial for the label though, but atleast you saw some cool bands play live. That was good enough for me.

yes U2 performed there. I already said that.

:eyebrow: did you read the post at all?

Angel said:
The hosts were really annoying. :crack:

:up:

Yeah, they had that guy who used to do all the rock stuff on MTV, I always thought he was a tool.

Crap, I just read someone else's post.... I guess if I had to read anyone's posts other than mine, it would be yours Angel :up:

Wow, I'm almost making friends at the same rate I'm making enemies now!!

PS - The Farmclub.com songs are on the Stuck single, I just checked

Yes. I have them. I also have their performance on tape. nicamom and U2LA (interferencers) were actually at that show. Would have been cool.

Well.................... I am hungry now.

Back
Top Bottom