what should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Give me advice.

• Disassociate yourself from them. Now.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Everyone has different tastes. Can't your friendships rise about that?

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Maybe if you weren't posting polls on interference under a really lame screenname, you'd have time t

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Shouldn't you be doing homework?

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters

VertigoGal

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I love my friends. however recent threads in the LS have prompted me to question...things. See, most of my friends love emo. They rock out to Panic! at the Disco and make collages with words like "I bleed my heart dry" for their Intro to Art journals. They make many unnecessary cutting jokes (while not actually engaging in such activity).

Also, they endlessly quote entire Dane Cook monologues and reference his standup routine in everyday speech. I actually have to force myself to laugh at his jokes because it takes too much energy to have to explain why I'm not laughing every time I'm subjected to him.

I am torn between the love for my friends who are all kind, fun people, and my insufferable elitist desire to separate myself from anyone with Bad Taste.

Please give me advice. :hyper:

Last edited:
Most of my friends had poor music taste in high school. Your job is to help them. They will come around :up:

You're just ahead of your time :love:

Disassociate yourself from them. Now.

I would do that without a doubt.

To me it sounds like you can not be you around your friends.

whoever voted for option #3 is my new hero. :love:

(and seriously speaking I don't actually bother trying to force music on people if I know they have no chance of enjoying it. that's just annoying.)

not that the rest of this poll isn't completely serious as well. :mad:

What's emo?

Is it like Elmo??

Sorry, I am old and out of the touch with today's young people. I grew up with Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, Van Halen, I want my MTV generation.

I was tempted to vote for #1. But one need friends no matter what. For dire times like when your internet is not working and you feel the need to talk to somebody offline! :lol: I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. I cannot connect with my non-bluecrack friends too much because we like totally different things. I'm crazy about music and most of my friends don't even care much about music let alone for the same bands and stuff. Thank God I met a fellow interlander here in this same town or I might have gone crazy, permanently attached to my computer so I can "hang out" virtually with you guys. :hug:

:|

Well, first I'd ask yourself why is it you are friends with them? What do you like about them that stands apart from other acquaintences?

I'm in kinda a similar situation. I waas tired with hanging out with peeople in my cohort. Different tastes, to the point where it pains me to have to listen to them talk about their shallow opinions on people's appearances and the ridiculous tv shows they keep up with.

I just stopped hanging out with them. It's hard b/c it is hard to make friends with my busy schedule, I hardly have time for myself. But at least I know a little piece of me isn't dying anymore on Friday nights when I wasted my time hanging out with them.

You're still in school? Don't worry about it. PLENTY of opportunities to meet new people there.

Good luck! :up:

i have the same problem at my school:sigh:, so what i do is i keep those friends, and make some new ones at the same time.

then you would have more in common with the new friends and you and your old friends just don't hang out as much but are still friends:shrug: it worked for me

first i would maybe see if you and your friends could agree to disagree. just maybe say something like "i don't like that kind of music, etc. but i respect that you do." you know, don't make them all upset and uppity about it.

but if they still act like you have to have everything in common with them, then maybe you do have to sever the ties :(

:hmm:

my friends are all into the crap they call "new music"....like rap and pop and stuff like emo....i let them go listen to what ever crap they want to...i listen to my ipod when they do that...cause i don't do new music:lol:

i also can't stand mcr or fall out guy or Panic! at bleh bleh..all crap pshhh

Whoever said that you were ahead of your time is right. Probably more like ahead of your age even better.

My advice, keep the friends, but surely don't be afraid to meet new people.

That way you don't end up alone right? Because then you might end up sitting at home writing EMO songs...AAHHH!!! :yikes:

But seriously, like I voted, get back to your homework young lady...:mad:

Make new friends and stop polling...

but also keep the emo friends:wink:

Wait,

I like Panic! At The Disco, and I always make fun of cutting yourself jokes... Does that mean I'm emo?

:ohmy: cant be

Windmilllane said:

Sorry, I am old and out of the touch with today's young people. I grew up with Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, Van Halen, I want my MTV generation.

me too.

I agree with keeping the friends but also making new friends.

However, now I've got that song stuck in my head:

make new friends
but keep the old
one is silver
but the other's gold

Windmilllane said:
What's emo?

Is it like Elmo??

Emo is the new Goth, except with more emotional expression and hopelessness. And shittier music.

bono_212 said:
I agree with keeping the friends but also making new friends.

However, now I've got that song stuck in my head:

make new friends
but keep the old
one is silver
but the other's gold
PLAY THE BLUES, EDGE!

[completely unbluesy solo]

:uhoh:

:(

I can't remember most of the names of the people I went to school with nevermind what music they liked.

Tell them that showtunes are the new emo. Then subject them to listening to the soundtracks of "The Music Man", "Westside Story", "Bye-Bye Birdy", and "Oklahoma". After that you won't have to ditch them...they'll ditch you and then your job is easy.

OK, now get back to your homework, you lame usernamed lass!!

:ohmy:

tpsreports2424 said:

Wait,

I like Panic! At The Disco, and I always make fun of cutting yourself jokes... Does that mean I'm emo?

:ohmy: cant be

:lol: let's be friends

well guyz, the poll results are in and it appears that I should keep my friends. I guess I won't be severing all ties with them after all- what a waste of expensive stationary. :(

would it be ruining the humorous effect a little if I revealed that I would never actually consider ditching my friends for differences in music taste?

:uhoh:

Dalton said:
Greatest.Poll.Ever.

Seriously though. Friends are a lot more important than the right music. Give'em a brake - they'll come around.

Same. :yes: My friend is into Country, but I'm able to get around it. Almost. :eyebrow: I have no emo friends, thank Heavens, nor would I be able to, considering I wouldn't touch that crowd with a 700 foot pole. :huh:

Option 3 rocks :rockon:

either way, EMO will go away... and in 10 years your friends'll look back and say "WTF??... My tears are for your wound?... what kind of pansy was I"

it'll be like looking back at the 80's, but NO ONE would want to live EMO again...

the 80's :drool:

Lose the friends. Start over. Conduct interviews from prospective friends to find out if they are compatible. That might work.

Back
Top Bottom