what non-U2 music inspires creativity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It all depends on my mood and wheteher I'm drawing, painting, or what I'm writing..

music that has previously triggered my creativity :
billie holiday
miles davis
fela kuti
wilco
ryan adams
dylan
springsteen
neil young
costello
rjd2
aimee mann
jeff buckley
arcade fire
beck [mutations]
devendra banhart
hank williams
nick drake
radiohead
sufjan
velvet underground
leonard cohen
tom waits :love:

These are the five things I go to musically for creativity.

1. Kate Bush songs like This Woman's Work, Under The Ivy, Moments Of Pleasure, The Man With A Child In His Eyes, The Saxaphone Song and so on.
2. The music of Julee Cruise specifically Floating In The Night & Voice Of Love
3. The television and movie soundtracks for Twin Peaks
4. Tales Of 1001 Nights Vol. One by Renaissance
5. The band Focus

Kiss-Rock N Roll All Night (live version
Queen (obvious reasons)
Led Zeppelin-Stairway To Heaven/Rock n Roll
AC/DC-Highway to Hell, Hells Bells
GN'R-Welcome To The Jungle/Paradise City
Rolling Stones-Start Me Up
Poison-Unskinny Bop
Motley Crue-Wild Side/Dr.Feelgood

I always go straight to Pure Reason Revolution's album The Dark Third. It really kicks my creative side into gear. The album contains some truly amaaaazing stuff. :drool:

Some other good albums:
- Russian Circles' Enter
- Gordian Knot's Emergent
- The Edge's Captive soundtrack
- The Shadows' Final Collection

The only thing that inspires my creativity is classical music. Popular music doesn't do much for me in terms of creativity. Lyrics and non-traditional instruments are a little too intrusive for me. Feeling angry? Put on some Stravinsky or Beethoven. Feeling lovey-dovey? Put on Vivaldi. Feeling nuts? Put on Schoenberg. They all yield fantastic results, trust me.

And no, Nube Gris, Bon Jovi aren't good at all.

Beatles
Doors
Zeppelin
Floyd(DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall, Momentary Lapse Of Reason)
Metallica(Kill'Em'All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, The Black Album)
Radiohead(The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail To The Thief)
Red Hot Chili Peppers(BloodSugarSexMagik, One Hot Minute, Californication, By The Way, Stadium Arcadium)
Nirvana
Alice In Chains

ah, this is old! and now I have arguments to say that Sigur Ros isn't post-rock, or they are, but believe me, every post-rock fan I know hates Sigur Ros

right now I'm writing a novel/tale based on real events and people I know... I'm listening Eluvium a lot, that guy knows how to make beautiful music

Zoomerang96 said:
let's hear those arguements.

they're more shoegaze probably, or newgaze like many people are calling these new bands with that ethereal style, than post-rock, still, post-rock and shoegaze are like musical brothers

post-rock it's a stupid label anyway, bands like Red Sparowes or Russian Circles have nothing in common with Friends of Dean Matinez or Hungry Ghosts, it's too wide, but all of them have some constant elements like textures, repetition, quality of making landscapes...

I love Sigur Ros, but I don't know if I agree with the people of After the Post-Rock forum, they say that Sigur Ros kind of ruined the genre

Back
Top Bottom