What music publications do you read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
I read Q. I am fully aware that, like most British music magazines, they can and tend to overhype bands. But I've learnt a lot about artistes that are popular or upcoming in the UK, and quite a few of these are good (the first name to spring to mind happened to be the Libertines actually). Plus I like Q's glossy style better than the NME.

i more or less stay away from music magazines. used to read guitar world occasionally, and i've read some old rollling stone articles...iv'e read articles in various magazines, i just don't read any of them regularly...

i wouldn't call RS a music pblication though...it's not really fit for reading cos it's such garbage

they need a warning telling people that it contains nothing but crap. people would still buy it...

I subscribe to Spin and Magnet. I enjoy both of them.

My subscription to Guitar World just ran out. I dont think I'll miss it.

NME is basically a tabloid weekly. I don't think it even pretends to be quality anything. Q, like all UK mags has a very tongue-in-cheek hypey style that is interesting in so far as you would just never see something like that in Rolling Stone or any similar US publication. That's neither good nor bad, just something one notices.

I'm not really a fan of any of the above mentioned mags, though I do give Q a flick through occasionally. Interesting that they don't seem to like Nick Cave much, on the evidence of this month's reviews.

Mojo is a waste of time unless you're looking for a permanent trip down memory lane.

Rolling Stone is so far up its own ass that it no longer sees daylight.

For the rare Australian reader here, I've got quite a bit of time for Juice, though it's always open to improvement.

As is Spin. Is that Aussie too? I could never remember. That and Juice were mine, back when I had time to read the woman's day of music.

I'll buy Q, no matter what articles are featured -- but I'll only buy other magazines (Spin, RS) if U2 or someone I really like is featured somewhere, because they usually aren't worth buying on a regular basis.

i don't actually buy magazines unless i like the cover article and at least one other thing in it

Mostly Q..its probably the best all round music magazine for me personally even when the cover or articles suggest that you won't enjoy reading..occasionally NME, especially with the Original Series they've been releasing of late..and used to read Select which is no longer being printed

Q is the only music magazine I read on a regular basis because it seems to be more directed at real fans, not just top 40 followers (like Rolling Stone and Spin) and not High Fidelity-esque fans (like Mojo). The interviews are interesting and original, they give equal coverage to legends and up and comers, they realize that music does have a past that should be acknowledged, and they have really great writers working for them. I've never really read Blender, only that little number thing Edge was interviewed for. I am very excited about what Alan Light's (former Spin editor) new music magazine is going to be like, the US is in desperate need of a smart yet accessible music magazine written by people who are actually fans.
Hot Press is also great, but it's more general pop culture/society than just music.

I prefer Q to anything else; I really like its tongue-in-cheek humour and the wide coverage they give to all sorts of artists.

Rolling Stone is mostly rubbish these days, but I still find something worth reading in nearly every issue.

NME makes Rolling Stone look like a Holy Temple of Credibility.

I tried out Classic Rock once or twice because they had cover stories on the old bands I love, but this magazine is so obviously aimed at the male audience that I felt as if I was gatecrashing a bucks' night or something while reading it.

Oh, and Nick Cave's latest received quite a lot of average reviews, so I don't think Q have anything against him.

I've taken to buying Hot Press (Rock Cupboard ;)) on a fairly regular basis, its one of the few worth reading really

NME is just crap

I visit the Rolling Stone website once in a while to see if they have any decent articles. They do sometimes, but I usually end up wanting to punch a hole through the wall when I see what no-talent flavor-of-the-week they put on the cover of their current issue. Their reviews are ridiculous, too. It seems like they give three stars to anything these days.

I used to read Q and Spin all the time, also an occasional guitar based magazine but now I pretty much can read what I want online so I rarely buy a magazine unless U2 is on the cover.

Blender. Maxim bought this magazine a few years back and has turned it into quite a nice publication. It has a bit of humor and other things you'd find in Maxim, but it sticks to the music....

Nate Dogg said:
Blender. Maxim bought this magazine a few years back and has turned it into quite a nice publication. It has a bit of humor and other things you'd find in Maxim, but it sticks to the music....

Forgot about that one...I really like that mag as well.

elevatedmole said:
I'll buy Q, no matter what articles are featured -- but I'll only buy other magazines (Spin, RS) if U2 or someone I really like is featured somewhere, because they usually aren't worth buying on a regular basis.

aya same here, Q has some very intelligent and really well written stuff but i don like reading their oasis stuff they dont seem to like them:( :madspit:

hotpress is quite cool

Back
Top Bottom