What is your "go to" CD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
I know when I'm feeling low I use music to comfort and soothe me. And I also notice that when I need comfort there are some songs and CDs that seem to always work for me.

For example After Everything Now This has such a lovely pensive, yet oddly uplifting feel to it that it always seems to work for me. I don't get all giddily happy listening to it, but I always feel more settled when I hear it. Actually, most of The Church's albums have a similar vibe, so there are songs on every album of theirs that are help me, and I have a couple of Church (and occasionally Kilbey solo) mix cds just for when I need my "comfort" fix. But AENT is one of the few full cds that is just perfect for me when I'm down.

So what are some songs or CDs that help you through the hard times?

this will probably seem pretty lame -

the joshua tree.

seriously though, by the end of streets i'm smiling almost no matter what. followed it up with ishfwilf and it's a great one-two punch to brighten anyone's day. always works for me.

entire cds:

the unforgettable fire, without fail

tori amos - little earthquakes
the cure - disintegration (great wallowing music)

random songs:

muse - butterflies and hurricanes
natacha atlas and jah wobble - soledad
belle and sebastian - is it wicked not to care
snow patrol - run
beethoven - moonlight sonata
pj harvey - the river
astrud gilberto - girl from ipanema

I'm also going to be very unoriginal and say The Joshua Tree. I'm not sure why I find it so comforting - a lot of it is very dark (Bullet, Exit, With or Without You, Mothers of the Disappeared).

Bono's shades said:
I'm also going to be very unoriginal and say The Joshua Tree. I'm not sure why I find it so comforting - a lot of it is very dark (Bullet, Exit, With or Without You, Mothers of the Disappeared).

I find it's not really happy music I want to hear when I'm down...the stuff that lets me explore my sorrows seems much more rewarding to me.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
When The Pawn... - Fiona Apple

:love:

tidal - fiona apple
inxs - best of or listen like thieves
rem - automatic for the people

those were the first three that came to mind

Zooropa and Pop have been my "go to" albums for a long, long time :up:

Sgt. Pepper's - The Beatles -- especially Within You Without You

Donovan - Fairytale

Sinead O'Connor - Faith and Courage

As far as songs...

Patti Smith - Gloria, Rock n' Roll ******

Bob Dylan - The Times They Are a Changin', Like a Rolling Stone

Coldplay - Yellow, Don't Panic, A Rush of Blood to the Head, Spies

Jet - Move On

And I'll stop now... music is my refuge, so I have a lot of "go to" songs and albums :D

Elvis Presley said:
Radiohead- The Bends
:up: and ok computer. listening to 'let down' over and over again really helps drown my sorrows.

i have to say, i can't listen to really uplifting music if i'm feeling down, as it can grate on my nerves.

i'll sometimes listen to the hives, sahara hotnights, or the distillers to get me back into fighting form.

when i feel sad , after hard day at work , i put 'music for airports ' by brian eno ( relaxation ) or to lift me up -
//wrong way up ( with john cale )

Like a trusted old blankie, Joshua Tree always soothes me. :heart:
I also have a compilation disk "Pickin' on U2", which - strange as it may seem - is a bluegrass instrumental tribute that always settles me.

For the few times when I don't feel like listening to U2, I usually go for an oldie but goodie, "City to City" by Gerry Rafferty. 'Baker Street'.... :drool: :drool:

Albums:

Blood on the Tracks-Bob Dylan

Darkness on the Edge of Town/The Wild, Innocent, E-Street Shuffle-Bruce Springsteen

Velvet Underground-Velvet Underground

Songs:

Joe the Lion/Hereos-David Bowie

Positively 4th Street-Bob Dylan

For You/Backstreets/-Bruce Springsteen

Sunday Morning-Velvet Underground

Ambulance Blues/Old Man-Neil Young

There could be many for me, but this one surpasses them all.

August and Everything After - Counting Crows

The Cure - Disintegration
The Replacements - Tim / Let It Be
U2 - Achtung Baby / The Joshua Tree
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
Robyn Hitchcock - Fegmania!

Familiar stuff, you know? Albums I've already listened to a thousand times.

Last edited:
definitely definitely radiohead - the bends. feeling bitter, feeling upset, feeling gutted, wrenched, or spitted.. this one always gives me exactly what I want to hear and in some weird way manages to make me feel better.

(nice to see some others pick this as well)

If I had to pick a song it would be
Talib Kweli - Get By
or
Of Montreal - Climb the Ladder

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden.

most of you guys here must not have discovered it yet. no doubt there would be 10 threads about it a day otherwise. it is just that good, and feels inspired in much the same way as The Joshua Tree. though it's better.

the Smiths.. anything of theirs but I have this special mix cd of my favorites tunes by them on it and it brightens me up inside :)
but to be honest I always turn to U2's Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire when I feel low/contemplative/depressed.

U2 - War
The Cure - Disintegration
The Police - Ghost In The Machine
Rush - Permanent Waves
Queensryche - Empire
Depeche Mode - Violator
Journey - Infinity
Puddle Of Mudd - Come Clean
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

bread n' whine said:
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden.

most of you guys here must not have discovered it yet. no doubt there would be 10 threads about it a day otherwise. it is just that good, and feels inspired in much the same way as The Joshua Tree. though it's better.

Brilliant Album! Probably could easily become my go-to album in time. I chose the Bends because it's been with me through thick and thin.. I discovered Spirit of Eden late last year and it's now in my top 5 albums of all time.

This has got to be the most unoriginal uplifting song I could choose, but I can't help it. "Beautiful Day" always makes me feel better.
But besides that, there's also
Shine- Collective Soul
Interstate Love Song- Stone Temple Pilots
All Over You- Live
The Song Remains the Same- Led Zeppelin

Most uplifting U2 album altogether would have to be War. A lot of the songs have these upbeats that could make anyone happy. :)

This is going to echo the sentiments of a few people who posted before, but Disintegration by The Cure is the ultimate wallow-in-your-sadness record.

Damien Rice's O is also good for this, too. He's my fifth favorite Irishman.

ah yes, damien rice's O is good.

my "go to" music would be:
coldplay - parachutes
radiohead - the bends
the garden state soundtrack
the smiths
bjork

however, i find that i'm always listening to music all the time, regardless of my mood, that i'll be pretty much listening to anything so i never really have to "go to" my comfort music, i'm already probably listening to something.

and there's some music that i can't really listen to when i'm sad cuz i'll become even more depressed. for example, all radiohead after ok computer, inclusive. i love radiohead but i always feel crappier after listening to them. nirvana's quite depressing too.

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
U2 - October
Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Back
Top Bottom