What is the point to boxing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
I dont see any point. Stupid damn sport.
If any of you are a fan, can you please explain it to me?

------------------
I don't think you're ready for this jelly

Because people will always beat the living shit out of each other, so it is better for the majority of it to be a professional sport with expert medical teams on hand, rather than go underground and be littered with deaths and bad injuries.

*Agrees with Angela*

Too bad brettig has his statement right, boxing is here to stay.

About the medical experience, the sadest part is that what is less important are the boxers but the people handling their lives to earn a bunch of bad money.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

Boxing, IMO, is best at the lighter weight classes where its not about beating a guy until he falls down, Speed, agility, stamina are far more important. Me like it!

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Originally posted by zooropa16:
Boxing, IMO, is best at the lighter weight classes where its not about beating a guy until he falls down, Speed, agility, stamina are far more important. Me like it!

I agree. I'm not a boxing at all, but I do watch it when my bros are wathing. And the light weight division is much more exciting!

------------------
Looking for the one
But you know you're
somewhere else instead..
I want to be the song
Be the song that you hear in your head .....

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
I dont see any point. Stupid damn sport.
If any of you are a fan, can you please explain it to me?

It is a competition, man against man, to see whose skills and abilities are better. No different to most other sports.

They use their fists to inflict damage, and their speed/reflexes to try to avoid damage. The winner is usually the one who inflicts the most damage on the other.

Is this the sort of explanation you were looking for?

My mother believes amatuer boxing led to her first husband's death at a very young age, so that is a powerful reason not to like it.

My friend, who doesn't approve of the money that goes into professional sport and thinks the time I spend driving my boys to soccer is decadent, says boxing is the true, honest sport.I never quite understood her point.Something along the lines of what rufus said I think. Two opponents toe to toe.

A case of to each his own, but I'm glad my boys use their feet not their fists.

The point of boxing is that it is the oldest and most basic sport. Two men, fighting to see who is the best. Sounds barabric, but it is here to stay. People want to see the Tysons and the Alis and the Foremans and they want to see if the new young guns can knock these guys off. Tyson/ Lewis is going to be the biggest money making sports event in history. Bank on it.

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

Thanks Rufus for the clue in. I understood speed and agility are key factors to it, but what I guess I essentially dont like is that it is plain and simply organised violence. The skills you need in a boxing ring are also what you need for many other sports, whereas with most others there is another aim as well as these.

Cass your reply was interesting, like you said each to their own, but I am not ashamed to say that no child of mine will ever be allowed to learn boxing. If its all about combat or defence, then I see martial arts as a better activity to be learning.

Back
Top Bottom