What is the greatest innovation for tv sports?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Sports on tv has been a mainstay of our society for years.

What was the best thing they did besides broadcasting the games?

Instant replay? Slo-motion? Super slo-motion? LIVE from ....? Multiple camera angles? High definition? Microphones on players? In game player interviews? Play by play? Sideline reporters? In car cameras? That freaky field cam in the NFL? Networks dedicated to a single sport? The FOX puck?

Or do you think some of those sucked and don't help?

What innovation would you like to see to enhance your viewing pleasure?

Controlling the camera angles? Isolated player cams on command? First person cams? Matrix cams?

Instant replay is my vote. Though, it has lead to having instant replay being part of games, which I dislike. But, instant replay totally changed the way games are presented, and has basically helped make football such a titan amongst televised sports. HD is a close 2nd. The newest X-Mo cameras that provide amazing slow motion capture are amazing, but work best if not overused.

Controlling the camera angles seems cool and all, but, makes watching a game work. I'd prefer to trust the producer and director to give me a pleasurable viewing experience.

I'd like to see more and more innovative camera placements, though, we're seeing that already. I'd like to see less graphical clutter on the air.

Good point about instant replay, it's become a tool for officials during gameplay.

I like the slo-mo which allows to see the skill of athletes up-close and truly appreciate their abilities. The boxing super slo-mos are just sick when you see the guy's face just morph after getting slugged.

trevster2k said:
Good point about instant replay, it's become a tool for officials during gameplay.

I like the slo-mo which allows to see the skill of athletes up-close and truly appreciate their abilities. The boxing super slo-mos are just sick when you see the guy's face just morph after getting slugged.

Yeah, that's the Xmo camera I was talking about...so many frames per second, you get amazing images.

As far as baseball goes, I'm a big fan of K Zone.

Basketball is tougher, but I'm ultimately going to go with play by play. Good play by play for a basketball game can make it that much better. By the same token, bad play by play can make it that much worse. Still, the worst TV related basketball innovation has to be that horrendous hanging camera ABC insists on using way too often that is suspended above the court. That and TV timeouts (especially in the playoffs), but fortunately I have to deal with those less since the Mavs decided to lay a big fat goose egg.

definitely the fox glow puck

also i like the first down line shown for football games

The scoreboard in the corner of the screen. At least while it was in the corner of the screen, now it seems to be taking up half the screen and showing everything from scores, and stats of my neighbors birthdays

As far as things that make the game worse, those super slow motion replays are almost always really irritating and I find they show barely anything of interest. The only time they are useful are in the following circumstances:

1. Cricket: determining whether a batsman has been run out.
2. Rugby: determining whether a player has grounded the ball with control and thus scored a try.

Cricket desperately needs on-demand statistics to become the norm. After all, it's the king of stats-heavy sports, and it's really irritating when it takes forever for the TV to put up the stat you'd like to see. This is why I love following cricinfo.com's live commentary: if you need a stat, e.g. required run rate, current partnership score, fall of wickets, etc., it's almost certainly right in front of your face. Nowadays, I always watch cricket on TV while keeping tabs on Cricinfo online.

I think the biggest thing is how easy it is to put lots of stats on the screen. Watching older games (early to mid 90's) I was really bothered by not knowing certain statistical things. So I think the addition of more stats has been the best innovation in TV sports.

Chizip said:
definitely the fox glow puck

I agree. I have a hard time watching Hockey since they took it away, actually. I find myself spending half the game going, "Where's the fucking puck? WHERE'S THE FUCKING PUCK?" It really takes the enjoyment out of the game.

The Telestrator, of course.

madden99playstationcoveav9.jpg

BOOM

Axver said:
As far as things that make the game worse, those super slow motion replays are almost always really irritating and I find they show barely anything of interest. The only time they are useful are in the following circumstances:

1. Cricket: determining whether a batsman has been run out.
2. Rugby: determining whether a player has grounded the ball with control and thus scored a try.

Cricket desperately needs on-demand statistics to become the norm. After all, it's the king of stats-heavy sports, and it's really irritating when it takes forever for the TV to put up the stat you'd like to see. This is why I love following cricinfo.com's live commentary: if you need a stat, e.g. required run rate, current partnership score, fall of wickets, etc., it's almost certainly right in front of your face. Nowadays, I always watch cricket on TV while keeping tabs on Cricinfo online.

Channel Nine aren't bad with that though, especially in one-dayers. Once it gets to a certain stage the score changes from score and overs to runs needed and balls left, and the run rate's always flicking around.

Personally, Cricket-wise, I thnik the Hot Spot was a great innovation, the slow-mo has helped immensley, the ball trakcer and the extreme slow-mo cameras are terrific.

In footy the instant replay is good.

I'm not really a fan of NASCAR (never seen a complete race). However I do think the innovative camera angles are interesting. They even have cable packages where you can watch your favorite driver the whole way through if you so desire.

I am not really a fan of how much advertising there is. If there is a blank spot on a uniform, playing field, equipment, etc... they'll sell it.

Back
Top Bottom