What do you think of the Goo Goo Dolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The New Radical

The Fly
What are everyone here's opinions of the band the Goo Goo Dolls? I really like the 'A Boy Named Goo' record and I also enjoy the 'Dizzy Up The Girl' album. 'Name' and 'Iris' are quite good songs....

I have a local musician friend who was nuts about them in the early days. Still likes em for old times sake, I guess, but he is always telling me how they used to be so much better. For myself, I like their sound and they do write good tunes. But I could do with a little less of the polished poppy sound they have now. Ah well, a band that plays their own guitars and writes music is rare enough these days, I suppose, so I shan't complain too loudly.
wink.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I have a local musician friend who was nuts about them in the early days. Still likes em for old times sake, I guess, but he is always telling me how they used to be so much better. For myself, I like their sound and they do write good tunes. But I could do with a little less of the polished poppy sound they have now. Ah well, a band that plays their own guitars and writes music is rare enough these days, I suppose, so I shan't complain too loudly.
wink.gif

Exactly.. Too polished; miss their old punk days, and Johnny's long non-GQ hair.

------------------
Music, when soft voices die,
Vibrates in the memory;
Odours, when sweet violets sicken,
Live within the sense they quicken.

~P.B. Shelley

I like them very much, and Johnny is extremely hot and I love his hair! I can harldy control myself when I watch the "Iris" video, and their latest one!

That aside, I LOVE "Dizzy up the Girl"- there are only about 2 bad songs on that CD. Their mid- 90s stuff was okay too.

we could. *shrugs* And your point would be?

That we rip on other bands for releasing music that appeals to the "pop" crowd while we applaude U2 for moving up the charts.

BTW, I saw GooGooDolls front row in 1999. Great show!

lol. ummm, I was just bein' honest. I LIKE the Goos which I believe I said. They're talented guys. I just think they could do better. Not sure what that has to do with U2 because the two bands are totally unrelated in my mind.

lol. ummm, I was just bein' honest. I LIKE the Goos which I believe I said. They're talented guys. I just think they could do better. Not sure what that has to do with U2 because the two bands are totally unrelated in my mind.

I was just saying that in general. Don't worry. I wasn't trying to single you out.

Don't you think U2's sound is more poppy and polished compared to the past? I'm just thinking based on that statement you shouldn't like ATYCLB as much as U2's previous work. The statement just appeared a bit arrogant to me.

They are from buffalo...thusly..I demand that everyone on this forum like them!

Originally posted by qball7200:
Don't you think U2's sound is more poppy and polished compared to the past? I'm just thinking based on that statement you shouldn't like ATYCLB as much as U2's previous work. The statement just appeared a bit arrogant to me.

I fail to see how the question is relevant but I'll humour you. My problem with the Goos is not so much that they have polished up their sound, so much as to MY ears (do please note that we're talking about personal preference here) much of their newer works sounds homogeneic. Ie. it sounds the same. Do I think the same of U2? No. ATYCLB is definitely more produced than some of their earlier work, but I personally do NOT find that all of the songs sound the same or that originality is compromised. Lastly, who the hell are you to tell me what I should or shouldn't like? Talk about arrogant statements.
rolleyes.gif

I agree with sula
there's a huge difference between releasing a well produced album and releasing bland stuff just because it sounds more radio friendly

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Lastly, who the hell are you to tell me what I should or shouldn't like? Talk about arrogant statements.
rolleyes.gif

easy sula...I was just making a joke

Originally posted by Arun V:
easy sula...I was just making a joke

I wasn't addressing you, Arun, that was directed towards qball. And yeah, I'm sorry that I'm a bit irritable today. A coworker of mine died this weekend in a car crash and I just got back from the funeral.
frown.gif

Lastly, who the hell are you to tell me what I should or shouldn't like? Talk about arrogant statements.
rolleyes.gif

Um..... I'm sorry about your coworker.

Remember though, you kind of did give him attitude first with your "And you point is?" comment.

So I don't blame qball7200 one bit.

Sorry. Just an observation.

Originally posted by mikal:
Um..... I'm sorry about your coworker.

Remember though, you kind of did give him attitude first with your "And you point is?" comment.

So I don't blame qball7200 one bit.

Sorry. Just an observation.

Perhaps I still fail to see why a discussion on the merits of the Goos should reflect on U2. It seemed a total non sequiter. Thus my initial comment.

Perhaps I still fail to see why a discussion on the merits of the Goos should reflect on U2. It seemed a total non sequiter. Thus my initial comment.

Good point. Yet, IMO, being at a U2 forum kind of makes everything reflect on U2.

Originally posted by The New Radical:
What are everyone here's opinions of the band the Goo Goo Dolls? I really like the 'A Boy Named Goo' record and I also enjoy the 'Dizzy Up The Girl' album. 'Name' and 'Iris' are quite good songs....

There ok, I guess. I think that they are a bad Matchbox 20 and I think they both wanna be U2....but that just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom