What do you do for a living?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is such a fascinating thread! :up: The sheer variety of what everybody does is just amazing.

I am a charity fundraiser. I have been doing this for 10 years now, in various positions from part of the team to the department head. I have worked mostly in the arts, but also for a hospital and a humane society.

Pros:

Get to help make a difference in the world.

Work with people (coworkers and donors) who are passionate about an important cause.

There is a never ending supply of charities and causes, so employment and advancement opportunities are bountiful.

For the most part, hours are reasonable.

Relaxed atmosphere...not much need to dress up unless you are dealing with the public.

Cons:

Pay is not exactly spectacular.

Sometimes you have to work evenings/weekends at special events and such, or if you have a huge deadline.

The biggest con is the stress of having a goal to raise money and worrying about meeting the goal. If you don't raise $X by June 31, the charity can't do xy and z. Then you have to explain yourself to the Board. It's stressful!

At the moment however, I am taking a leave from work as I pursue immigration options in the US. I LOVE NOT WORKING!!!! :up: :D

Last edited:
I'm a merchandiser for a beer distributor. I go to grocery stores (in Michigan, grocery stores can sell beer, wine, liquor, fireworks) and stock shelves and set up fabulous beer displays.

pros include:

1. relatively flexible schedule around my school schedule (i'm at michigan state)

2. whenever you see people struggling for life working in retail, you finish up your work and get to *leave!* the store. it's the best feeling in the world.

3. the goofy people i get to interact with on a daily basis.

4. i've learned alot towards my degree, and it's helped me build my sales skills.

5. tasty beers! we carry the following things...

Miller Brewing Co.
- Miller Lite, Lite Ice, Genuine Draft and Genuine Draft Light
- Miller High Life, High Life Light, Red Dog and Ice House
- Milwaukee's Best, Best Light and Best Ice
- Sharp's NA
- Leinenkugel's
- Magnum, Steel Reserve, Sparks
- Foster's, Pilsner Urquell

Pabst Brewing/Stroh Brewing/Heileman
- Pabst Blue Ribbon
- Stroh's, Stroh's Light
- Carling Black Label
- Schlitz
- Old Milwaukee, OM Light, OM NA
- Colt 45, Olde English 800, Mickey's, St. Ides

Molson Coors Brewing Co
- Molson Canadian, Canadian Light, Golden, Ice, Export, XXX, Exel NA
- Coors Original, Light, NA
- Killian's Irish Red
- Blue Moon White Ale
- Keystone Light
- Zima XXX

Labatt USA/InBev (formerly Interbrew)
- Labatt Blue, Blue Light, Ice, Canadian Ale, Select LC
- Beck's
- Lowenbrau
- Spaten
- Boddington's Pub Ale
- Stella Artois
- Hoegaarden
- Bass Ale
- Franzikaner
- Rolling Rock
- St. Pauli Girl

Heineken USA
- Heineken
- Heineken Dark
- Amstel Light
- Buckler
- Murphy's Stout, Amber

Barton Beers/Grupo Modelo
- Corona, Corona Light
- Pacifico Clara
- Modelo Especial, Negra Modelo
- Beck's, St. Pauli Girl

Scottish and Newcastle
- Newcastle Brown Ale
- McEwan's Gross Nasty beer

Guinness-Diageo PLC
- Guinness
- Harp
- Kaliber NA
- Smithwick's
- Red Stripe
- Smirnoff Ice

Warsteiner USA

Hacker-Pschorr

Asahi

Tsingtao

Anchor Steam

Sierra Nevada

Goose Island

Boston Beer Co./Samuel Adams

Clausthaler NA

Cons

1. my boss. the guy that's the head of the company hates my guts. he hates how i work, my demeanor and everything else. the only thing he doesn't hate is my zeal for the job and the compliments everyone gives me on my work. he can't stand that i succeed.

2. holidays. basically, any holiday or excuse to drink heavily means that i'm working long hours. july 4th, chirstmas, new year's.

3. driving. i have to drive to different stores, and that means a lot of wear and tear on my vehicle. that and with rising gas prices, mileage doesn't cover as much on the wear and tear as it used to.

overall, it's a good job. i get a lot of free schwag such as mirrors, signs, shirts, hats, samples and i've learned more than any average person should know about the international brewing system, brand marketing and portfolios and the three-tier distribution system.

anyone else work in the (alcoholic) beverage industry?

I'm a waitress and a student. I eventually want to do pharmaceutical research. I can't wait.

CampbellMSU said:
Miller Brewing Co.
- Sharp's NA
- Leinenkugel's

- Pabst Blue Ribbon
- Stroh's, Stroh's Light
- Carling Black Label
- Schlitz

Molson Coors Brewing Co
- Killian's Irish Red
- Blue Moon White Ale
- Keystone Light
- Zima XXX

- Beck's
- Lowenbrau
- Spaten
- Boddington's Pub Ale
- Stella Artois
- Hoegaarden
- Bass Ale
- Franzikaner
- Rolling Rock
- St. Pauli Girl

Heineken USA
- Heineken
- Heineken Dark
- Amstel Light
- Buckler
- Murphy's Stout, Amber

- Corona, Corona Light
- Pacifico Clara
- Beck's, St. Pauli Girl

Scottish and Newcastle
- Newcastle Brown Ale

Guinness-Diageo PLC
- Guinness
- Harp
- Kaliber NA
- Smithwick's
- Red Stripe
- Smirnoff Ice

Warsteiner USA

Hacker-Pschorr

Asahi

Tsingtao

Anchor Steam

Sierra Nevada

Goose Island

Clausthaler NA

I'm a Beer-drinker; see above-resume...:drunk:

CampbellMSU said:
I'm a merchandiser for a beer distributor. I go to grocery stores (in Michigan, grocery stores can sell beer, wine, liquor, fireworks) and stock shelves and set up fabulous beer displays.

pros include:

1. relatively flexible schedule around my school schedule (i'm at michigan state)

2. whenever you see people struggling for life working in retail, you finish up your work and get to *leave!* the store. it's the best feeling in the world.

3. the goofy people i get to interact with on a daily basis.

4. i've learned alot towards my degree, and it's helped me build my sales skills.

5. tasty beers! we carry the following things...

Miller Brewing Co.
- Sharp's NA
- Leinenkugel's

- Pabst Blue Ribbon
- Stroh's, Stroh's Light
- Carling Black Label
- Schlitz

Molson Coors Brewing Co
- Killian's Irish Red
- Blue Moon White Ale
- Keystone Light
- Zima XXX

- Beck's
- Lowenbrau
- Spaten
- Boddington's Pub Ale
- Stella Artois
- Hoegaarden
- Bass Ale
- Franzikaner
- Rolling Rock
- St. Pauli Girl

Heineken USA
- Heineken
- Heineken Dark
- Amstel Light
- Buckler
- Murphy's Stout, Amber

- Corona, Corona Light
- Pacifico Clara
- Beck's, St. Pauli Girl

Scottish and Newcastle
- Newcastle Brown Ale

Guinness-Diageo PLC
- Guinness
- Harp
- Kaliber NA
- Smithwick's
- Red Stripe
- Smirnoff Ice

Warsteiner USA

Hacker-Pschorr

Asahi

Tsingtao

Anchor Steam

Sierra Nevada

Goose Island

Clausthaler NA

Cons

1. my boss. the guy that's the head of the company hates my guts. he hates how i work, my demeanor and everything else. the only thing he doesn't hate is my zeal for the job and the compliments everyone gives me on my work. he can't stand that i succeed.

2. holidays. basically, any holiday or excuse to drink heavily means that i'm working long hours. july 4th, chirstmas, new year's.

3. driving. i have to drive to different stores, and that means a lot of wear and tear on my vehicle. that and with rising gas prices, mileage doesn't cover as much on the wear and tear as it used to.

overall, it's a good job. i get a lot of free schwag such as mirrors, signs, shirts, hats, samples and i've learned more than any average person should know about the international brewing system, brand marketing and portfolios and the three-tier distribution system.

anyone else work in the (alcoholic) beverage industry?

i love you.

I'm an Assistang Goods Flow Manager at IKEA (hooo that sounds impressive :slant: )

Pros:
I have the world's greatest boss. :D
It's a good social job - you get to interact with a lot of people from different backgrounds
Managing both the business needs and a large group of people is a nice challenge
IKEA discount. :D
IKEA has great benefits and actually supports coworkers well.

Cons:
It's retail, aka, "what weekends?"
I don't work the same shift everyday. Some days I work from 7:30-4pm, some days from 2:30-11pm.
Dealing with some of the bureacracy that comes with management can be a pain in the ass.
It's not my ideal career...(I've yet to meet someone who wanted to be a retail manager all their lives. ;))

I'm a university library assistant.

Pros: I have good borrowing privileges.

Cons: It pays 1/4 of what I made in my last job. :|
It's not at all challenging or intellectually stimulating.
Rude students. :mad:

I work at a supermarket stacking shelves

Pro's - I like the people on my section and a few of them are roughly my age (i'm 19) so i can go out with them at night and get drunk :wink:

Con's - i hate it, pay is not good, i start at 7 most mornings which means getting up before 6 as i have to get the bus, whenever i meet new people i hate it when they ask me what i do for a living

i'm going to university in september however so i can't wait to leave :wink:

Middle School English Teacher.... 8th grade. ;)

Usually, when I'm asked what grade I teach and I tell them, I get two types of answers:

"WHY?!"

or the ever popular: "oh... I'm so sorry" <--- this is followed by the usual grimace.

LOL

I love my middle school kids. They rock. It really does take a special kind of person to teach... and it takes a special kind of person to teach each individual grade. I couldn't teach grade school - they would drive me nuts, just as high school students would drive me nuts, too. ;)

Moonie :D

Film Post Production

Pros: i get my name in movies!
and its cool to say you work in film. plus famous people stop in every now and then.
and when things are slow i can pretty much do what i like, like be on interference all day!

Cons: hours are stupid most of the time - 60 hour week average and once i worked 37 hours STRAIGHT, went home got 6 hours sleep and came back to work another 14 hours. plus i once went a whole week - sunday to saturday - with a total of 11 hours sleep)
pay is shit - everyone wants to work in film therefore if you wont do it for peanuts, someone else will.
and its not as glamorous as it sounds - even staring at Jonny Depp in slow motion gets boring after a while. VERY boring

still, i count myself lucky, there are loads of people who want to do what i do and can't get in and my boss is really really really good to me. she knows we work hard so is lenient and flexible with holidays and days off when she can be.

diamond said:
c3_06.jpg

:wink:
LOOKS SIMILAR TO THIS.....

Attachments

• db.jpg
    db.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 25
I'm a college student right now at Pace University in New York City. I'm taking classes in family law. I have 2 years left, then i must decide on a good law school. I want to stay in new york though, because i LOVE my apartment that i have now. I got a great sky line veiw with a balcony, so i don't wanna give that up! Plus New York City is the BEST place to practice law. The wages are very high, and almost everyone in New York these days needs a good lawyer!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom