What do you do for a living?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IWasBored said:
i'm a student right now, but i work security in the dorms here. i sit at a desk and check people's ID cards, register their guests, and tell drunk people to fuck off.

pros: i can do homework while i'm sitting at the desk. uh...i make money.

cons: i hate college kids. the majority of them are spoiled bratty rich kids. and they like to use the emergency exit doors, thus setting off the alarms.

I soooo know how you feel. To pay the bills while I finish my Math Ed. degree, I work security in an art museum, which happens to be on the campus of the University of Georgia. The students come in and lean on or touch everything including the art which they don't believe is real. :huh:
The worse part of my job, besides standing all day, is working during football games when people only come in to use the bathrooms and are drunk off their asses.

The Best Damn Public Elementary School Teacher your kids will ever have.

Right now, fourth and fifth grade combined.

Pros: I get to work with ten-year-olds all day. :D
I spend the day in an academic environment.
I get summers and major holidays off.
I have enviable benefits.

Cons: I work 9 to 10 hours a day almost every single schoolday, and I usually have schoolwork to do on weekends. ( I graded math tests and science tests in the Phoenix GA line.)
I get up very early in the morning.
I can't do jack on school nights.

Last edited:
Nurse

Pros: I work for a really great company and they are listed in the top 100 companies to work for.
Great health plan.
Great benefits, retirement and co-workers are like family.
Great locale, no commute even though I do have a great car.
I get to help people directly with matters that impact their life with health education and supporting my Doc, (who is also a top Doc by the way), making up for that wanting to make a difference with my life- though I do it on a smaller global scale than Bono.
Cons: I did go to college after ten years of supervision and secretarial work thinking I was defying my dad (who wanted me to go to business college) by getting out of the office and changing my major to Nursing from CIS...lmao...now I literally spend all day on a pc since we are on a ‘paperless’ system (paperless…lol) and can probably type as fast as the most adept secretary...though my accuracy isn’t as good as a legal secretary….lol. Not only that but I can build a good pc from scratch...format...install etc. hmm….but then again as a hobby not much of that is a 'con' is it?

Mechanical Design Engineer

Pros: Get to create things (I call it "uterus envy" :wink: ). Work with technology and different disciplines. Most days simple common logic prevails. Pay provides for a pretty comfortable living...though I could always use some more!

Cons: Usually an office environment. Ever see the movie "Office Space"?? Sometimes I feel like Milton on there! It can also seem like doing your taxes everyday which is not my idea of fun! Limited travel. Can NEVER please everybody. And, of course, I am not working directly with U2! :sad:

"It's your world, you can change it"

Personal Lines Insurance Agent w/Nationwide Insurance

Pros: Plenty of job security, no weekends or late evenings, and I meet all kinds of people. :up:

Cons: Usually more work than work hours, I'm only paid for 35 hrs a week, and I meet all kinds of people. :down:

I feel like I help people navigate what can be a very confusing product and give them a better understanding of what insurance can & can't, should & shouldn't be for. It's rewarding, but I'm burned out by poor management and lack of organization in our agency -- which is why I may be soon switching to a job with the Dept. of Social Services. Definately a change, but actually quite a few similarities, too. :yes:

Last edited:
U2dork said:

I soooo know how you feel. To pay the bills while I finish my Math Ed. degree, I work security in an art museum, which happens to be on the campus of the University of Georgia. The students come in and lean on or touch everything including the art which they don't believe is real. :huh:
The worse part of my job, besides standing all day, is working during football games when people only come in to use the bathrooms and are drunk off their asses.

i've suggested on numerous occasions that the RAs should get shot guns, and instead of going on rounds or sitting in the office, they should sit on top of the roof above the emergency exits and shoot the people using those doors while the alarms are on, thus eleminating some of the problem.

i guess i'd still have morons throwing computer moniters out windows, trying to bribe me (once i had a guy try to give me 5 bucks to let him not sign in some friends, another time a guy offered to sing some dropkick murphys songs - i was wearing a dkm shirt - if i'd let him by without showing ID), or telling me that it must suck to have to work til 3am on a saturday night/sunday morning.

College student. and I work in the bedding department at Sears stocking, cleaning and helping customers. No cash register. I am graduating in June though so I shouldn't be working there much longer thank god.

Pros - ummmm......i get exercize, have lost a few pounds from working there. I like some of my coworkers.

Cons - pretty much everything, I could go on for hours, crappy pay, crappy customers, crappy mangers, standing on your feet for hours, always getting scrapes and bruises from stocking.......etc etc etc.

Police Dispatcher/911 Operator

Pros:
interesting work
sometimes I make the difference in helping someone
good pay and benefits
I work with some great people

Cons:
long hours (12 hours shifts) that includes nights, weekends and holidays
sometimes I have to deal with very ugly crimes
the people I am talking to on the phone are generally not happy and it isn't always easy dealing with people who are upset and angry

Editor in educational and technical publishing.

PROS: I work with a bunch of other cranky English majors, I can spend most of the day on Interference, my boss is pretty laid-back, the pay is all right, and I'm actually working in my field.

CONS: The material I work with can be incomprehensible/boring at times, the online publishing software I work with is very new and hence still bug-y, and my division is in a constant state of flux/overhaul, so I could be doing something one way one week and have to completely do it over next week.

Secondary school / High school English teacher

Pros : I love teaching and the relationship I have with the students. I love teaching a language because I think you can teach it through various ways and I love the fact that it can help the young people communicate. I think being quite young myself (25) can help when your students are from 15 to 20 :wink: At first I thought it'd be a con but eventually, it really helps because you can still understand them !

Cons : I've been teaching since September so I haven't faced too many cons yet, however I know the big problem in schools is violence. I work in a high school where most students have real social problems and their answer to it is often violence. Actually, sometimes our job is more one of social work than of teaching really. But I don't mind so far... I'll prolly think of many cons later :huh:

A manager at a major telecommunications company

Pros: pay is decent and benefits are good
Cons: subject matter is boring

Formerly, I was a fraud investigator with a bank.

These days, I spend most of my time talking crap on the Internet. :wink:

I work at a Public Relations Agency

Pros: Good pay, fun work, free beer (from our beer clients :wink:), great bosses and co-workers

Cons: Dealing with crazy clients who change their minds every two minutes

Consultant to agricultural and veterinary companies.

Pros: Work for myself, set own hours, can work in my PJs if I feel like it, work is varied and mainly interesting.

Cons: Work for myself, not much social interaction. The work that is not varied and mainly interesting is mind numbingly boring.

Commercial Lines Account Manager for a local insurance agency.

Pros-I am the owner's assistant, make great $, have a very nice office, travel some.

Cons-my work can be stressful some times.

All of you people are so interesting!

ICU RN
Pro's
1. Scrubs and sneakers everyday:D
2. "training" new residents
3. Every once in awhile you actually get to save someone's life/make a profound difference everyday
Con's
1. Scrubs and sneakers everyday
2. "training" new residents
3. Long hours/overtime/holidays/weekends/split shifts/20 hour days/bodily fluids/abuse/huge nursing shortage etc.....

but number 3 on the pro list can always trump any of the cons:D

Last edited:
I'm an RN too... used to do Neonatal ICU until the burnout got me. Now I'm a Clinical Resourse Nurse in Pediatrics - I work at a specialty hospital in Boston that treats problems with the head and neck (eyes, ears, brain, throat, nose... there's a lot more than you think). Basically my job is a fancy name for taking patients, orienting new nurses, doing education with hospital staff, and a lot of paperwork. A "resource" if you see what I mean... :) I was asked to take the position which was nice, so I really shouldnt complain.

Pros: The kids are a lot of fun, for the most part the people I work with are great, I make decent money (although I could make more), and we have some really great doctors, and yes, scrubs to work everyday!

Cons: Long hours sometimes, holidays, sad cases, taking the train to work. Arrogant doctors and snot-nosed residents that think they know everything after one day in pediatrics. And one another nurse who drives everyone else crazy too!

I work at an ice-cream company, we have trucks that drive around the neighbourhoods!
Pros: free ice-cream, casual environment
cons: too much down time

Back
Top Bottom