What did you get for a Christmas bonus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Times are still tough, particularly in publishing, my industry, which hasn't quite bounced back from the ad slumps thanks to the dotcom bust and lagging economy. I've been working here for four years, the first year for Christmas we got an actual cash bonus, then the shine was off and our bonuses became more "interesting." The second year everyone in the company got a watch, not different watches, not cute watches, not funky watches, just the same clunky gold and silver watch that was about two sizes too big for my (and most everyone else's here) wrist. Last year through some type of barter arrangement we got $200 gift certificates to RadioShack, which I guess is okay but I'm not really a gadget person and RS stores don't have as wide an electronics selection as like a Best Buy or something so it's not really that great to try and buy a stereo from them because they usually have just the one. I was able to trade it to my hairdresser for $200 worth of services so at least I got some use out of it (and she got a new phone and remote-control car for her son).

Okay, so we were bracing ourselves for this year, wondering what type of barter had been arranged, and then briefly thinking that things were slightly improving, no one has been laid off in ages (tap wood) so maybe, just maybe, we would get cash. Boy were we wasting our time with that hope. On Tuesday my editor came around (mind you, she doesn't pick out this gift, it's something selected by the higher ups for everyone in the company) to give us our bonuses, something in a very large envelope. We all opened it, pulled out the little brochure (huh) and learned that this year our company gave us all $200 worth of beef!!! Yes, I got meat for Christmas!!

I don't really eat meat. I'm not a vegetarian but I'm not a big fan of steak, ribs and all that, so basically this gift is useless to me. The even better part is that we have several vegetarians on staff and one girl who's Hindu and can't eat beef ever.

So yeah, meat, wow. The workers at the SAS shoe factory got $1,000 for every year they've been with the company. I think I may be in the wrong business. I am going to try to donate this "gift" (which we can't even start using until January 15, a very sucky point for some people who thought they could use this for their Christmas meals) to a soup kitchen or something, create some good energy out of this very empty gesture.

What have the rest of you gotten for Christmas bonuses? Is it something you can actually use or enjoy? Are any companies actually handing out cash? Whatever you get, hopefully it's not worse than what I got.

Last edited:
A subscription to the "Jelly of the Month Club."
As my boss said "It's the gift that keeps on giving all year round".
Fucking Tool.

I got a $50.00 american express gift check, a christmas ornament, and taken to a steak and chop house for lunch....I don't celebrate Christmas and I've been a vegetarian most of my life. :|

:shrug: The $50 will come in handy when I go on vacation next month :D

1 out of 3 isn't too bad.

No soup for me.

I got Blockbuster gift cards for a couple of my employees and a year's subscription to Pro Football Weekly to one employee who is an NFL fan.

I feel bad :( My co workers (2) both gave me a present just now and I dont have anything for them. This year has been shit.. we all got a pay cut and times are tough! I dont remember exchanging presents with them last year either.. :sigh:

My boss gave me a big box wrapped but I'm not allowed to open it yet :angry:

My first year here I got a $1000 bonus :|
Next year.. $500
Next year .. $300

etc..

Wonder if I'll get one at all this year :crack:

We don't get Christmas bonuses but our office closes for 2 weeks over the holidays and 2 weeks during the summer plus our regular 2 weeks vacation, and we all got extremely generous raises this year. Our President hates Christmas (as do I and most of my coworkers) so he makes it up to us throughout the year instead. I :heart: my job.

We close for two weeks too. I LOVE that. Today is my last day of work until Jan 5 :drool:

yeah, i'd be ticked if i got meat too. i don't eat red meat. now, if the place had chicken, i'd be stoked. or even seafood. :drool:

anyway, my bonus...:lmao:

i got a $10 gift certificate for a local mexican restaurant and a gift certificate for 10 pounds worth of ham.

Yep times have certainly changed and have been tough the last few years. I have been with my company for 8 years... we used to get 500.00 bonus. Then it went down to 200.00. After 9/11 we got nothing at all, not even a Christmas party. Then last year they gave us a little blow-up plane as our gift:huh:
This year we are not expecting gifts, but they are throwing us an elaborate Christmas party tonight at a very nice hotel and they are giving aways some trips....so hopefully I will win a prize!

forbonou2 said:
:| I can say at least you Do have a job, and a bonus! I can understand the disappointment, but I can also be thankful for the little things.:up:

That's definitely true. I think what really gets me is that these bonuses are supposed to show your company's appreciation for you but they don't. There's plenty of ways that your bosses can say thank you that don't cost a thing and would be much more meaningful than meat or a blow-up plane (sorry Marissa), etc.

omg! I love my boss. She gave me a beautiful candle holder with crystals dangling from it, a bottle of NICE champagne and a $482 bonus after taxes :drool:

I love my job.

It wasn't a "Christmas" bonus technically, but last month we all got $500 bonuses as a reward for sticking it out during tough times at the university (e.g., no raises, cutbacks in health care, etc.). But that was from the president of the university, who is promising real raises next year. At our department's holiday lunch today, we all had to buy our own. Our director just doesn't get it...and I heard a few people mention that at our cheery luncheon.

I'm so ready to go home. The university shuts down for two weeks, so I'll be joining those of you who have two-week vacations coming up! Yea!

bah humbug

This will be my first year in a management role for this company. I doubt there will be any holiday bonuses.

I got to hand out "Furlough Notices" to all of my employees this week...it isn't set in stone yet, it is dependant on a Strike that may happen on Jan. 10...but boy did that suck. Merry Christmas...you may not be working for a few days/weeks/months if "they" go on strike on Jan. 10.

It isn't much, but I am spending (out of my own pocket) a few hundred bucks on some nice winter stocking caps. They will have our company name and our location. Not much, but I can't afford much right now either. We also get $10 per employee for a holiday gathering.

dsmith2904.....you made me crack up with the beef story. I remember negotiating trade deals like that for holiday presents when I worked for a "media" company. What a joke. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom