What bands did you "discover" in 2001?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Me...well, 3 of my top 5 bands I didn't really start to listen to until this year, being

Oasis
PJ Harvey
Radiohead

But then I also got into:
Travis
Live
Dave Matthews Band

Edit: I can't believe I forgot BLUR!
Those are probably the bands I most enjoyed "discovering" last year.

[This message has been edited by UnforgettableLemon (edited 01-08-2002).]

Hmm...I don't think any...

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Yeah, although I had heard loads about the Matthew Goode band in the past, I only really "discovered" them this past year....geez, all my posts seem to pertain to them lately! Hmmm, maybe I should just go to his website, eh?

People should check out his album "Beautiful Midnight"...absolutely stunning!

In 2001 I 'discovered':

PJ Harvey (liked her before, just didn't realise how much)
Miles Davis

Or perhaps they discovered me. That's about it, really.

------------------
"Once again
I'm in trouble with my old friend
She is papering the windowpanes
She is putting on a smile
Living in a glasshouse..."

The Strokes

------------------
Me3

And oh as I fade away they'll all look at me and say,
hey look at him and where he is these days
When life is hard you have to change

The Strokes
Coldplay

George Acosta
Dara/AK1200/Dieselboy

[This message has been edited by wannabe (edited 01-08-2002).]

Mercury Rev
Trembling Blue Stars
(just mentioned those in another thread)
Beth Orton
Peace Orchestra
Mocean Worker
A3 (well, I "discovered" them in 2000, does that count?)
Eliza Carthy
Flogging Molly
The Avalanches

There's more, I'm sure.

Originally posted by adam's_mistress:
Mercury Rev
Trembling Blue Stars
(just mentioned those in another thread)
Beth Orton
Peace Orchestra
Mocean Worker
A3 (well, I "discovered" them in 2000, does that count?)
Eliza Carthy
Flogging Molly
The Avalanches

There's more, I'm sure.

Beth Orton, yes! Galaxy of Emptiness is such a perfect late-nite song... folk meets trip-hop (is that a hackneyed description or what? Anyway, Beth is wonderful).

------------------
"Once again

i didn't discover any new bands in 2001.
redface.gif
(is it just me or does that look like someone singing rather than someone who's embarassed?)
however, i did stir up some promotion for a favourite band of mine. (some people didn't even know some members had left...*cries* some of you peeps know what i mean...)

------------------
when you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.
ME!

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
Beth Orton, yes! Galaxy of Emptiness is such a perfect late-nite song... folk meets trip-hop (is that a hackneyed description or what? Anyway, Beth is wonderful).

Yeah I really really like her a lot. Her voice is fragile at times but the way she delivers! I've heard her before but only started really discovering what she was all about. I liked her work she did with the Chemical Brothers who I really enjoy as well and who are responsible for introducing me to Beth Orton. She added a nice dreamy touch to their mix. I heard the Chemical Brothers produced her up and coming record - now *that* I gotta hear!

Yeah I really really like her a lot. Her voice is fragile at times but the way she delivers! I've heard her before but only started really discovering what she was all about. I liked her work she did with the Chemical Brothers who I really enjoy as well and who are responsible for introducing me to Beth Orton. She added a nice dreamy touch to their mix. I heard the Chemical Brothers produced her up and coming record - now *that* I gotta hear!

She has an up-and-coming record? Interesting news...

------------------
"Once again

Originally posted by popkidu2:
Mira

They have an album out in stores, but you can here them at www.mp3.com.

they're song space is pure bliss....

Are you talking about Mira on the Projekt record label that has a female singer?

If so - they're real nice. They're from my hometown and a good friend of mine was in that band for a long time.

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
She has an up-and-coming record? Interesting news...

Hi! *waves* Me again. Sorry to everyone else here for constantly throwing Beth Orton out.

Yes, I read an interview with the Chemical Brothers in Mixmag magazine not too long ago that mentioned them working with her on her new record, which is apparently still in the works. I've read a bit more info elsewhere but I can't remember where... For the most part the information was pretty vague so no release date or specifics were given. I have heard the song she did with The Chemicals for their latest record (it's not out yet, only a couple more weeks) "The State We're In" is the title of the track. It really is a beautiful song, even if electronic music isn't everyone's cup of tea. Her voice just carries the song imo, well worth anyone checking out.

Hi! *waves* Me again. Sorry to everyone else here for constantly throwing Beth Orton out.

Yes, I read an interview with the Chemical Brothers in Mixmag magazine not too long ago that mentioned them working with her on her new record, which is apparently still in the works. I've read a bit more info elsewhere but I can't remember where... For the most part the information was pretty vague so no release date or specifics were given. I have heard the song she did with The Chemicals for their latest record (it's not out yet, only a couple more weeks) "The State We're In" is the title of the track. It really is a beautiful song, even if electronic music isn't everyone's cup of tea. Her voice just carries the song imo, well worth anyone checking out.

Well, this record might be worth checking out, by the sound of that. I wasn't totally enarmoured of her last one, 'Central Reservation'. A good record, of course, but a bit 'blah' in places.

------------------
"Once again

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
The Strokes
Ryan Adams
Pete Yorn
Travis

Yes!!! I love Pete Yorn!!!! And I just bought the new Strokes album last week (very enjoyable, I must say). Another is,

Rufus Wainwright

------------------
Oh great ocean
Oh great sea
Run to the ocean
Run to the sea

Sparklehorse
Mercury Rev
Jeff Buckley
Lamb
Dimmer (New Zealand electronica)
David Bowie (a little)
Dirty Three (yes!!)

edit: and Yo La Tengo! They're great.

foray

[This message has been edited by foray (edited 01-08-2002).]

I discovered the soul-shaking, milk-choclatey goodness of the voice of..

David Hasselhoff

Actually, after seeing Garbage open for another band*ahem*, I got their new release, and I was impressed....and I had never really owned a Beatles CD until last week...

------------------
N A T E

Greedy for the good things as well as the bad.....

[This message has been edited by njf77 (edited 01-09-2002).]

Originally posted by Like O2:
Wilco

Anyone else??

They have a new record "out" (completed, but not exactly available).. actually, I think the story goes: the record company thought it unlistenable, suggesting changes. The band thought otherwise. The label has since severed ties to the band.. and vise-versa.

The funny thing is, the local rock critics for the two major newspapers have called it the best of their career.. go figure!

ps: go PJ fans GO!!! (I'm anxiously awaiting some video compilations someone is making for me, including 'rid of me' solo in Amsterdam, as well as some live video shot at concerts in Germany, England and France spanning the last 3 tours. yum!)

Back
Top Bottom