what are you reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
today i am reading a book called 'code and other laws of cyberspace' by lawrence lessig of harvard.
after this i will skip back to cervantes' don quixote.

Heya Koby lad.....at the mom I have two books I have YET to start reading but you may have heard of them? Chocolat and 'Man and Boy' - The Man and Boy won lots of acclaims........so I cant wait to settle to read it, of course finding the time and moment of peace and non-distraction to sit and read is bloody difficult!!!!!!

smile.gif

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

I just finished "The Great Gatsby". Ten years too late. (I never read it in H.S.)

I loved it, short and to the point.

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

F. Scott Fitzgerald is one of my favourites. I highly recommend This Side of Paradise.

------------------

The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

The Key to Happiness by Dalai Lama

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 02-14-2002).]

Sula-is W&P good??
I haven't had the patience to read anything lately. I've been thumming through travel books, I need to read the third Harry Potter(because santa brought #4)

I need to read the third Harry Potter(because santa brought #4

The third Harry Potter is the best of all of them!

------------------

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
Sula-is W&P good??
I haven't had the patience to read anything lately. I've been thumming through travel books, I need to read the third Harry Potter(because santa brought #4)

War and Peace is incredible. One of my favourite novels.

------------------
d.a.<--for once i am real me.

It's good to have a literary-type thread.

Warning to Mad1- I thought the characters were better in the movie _Chocolat_, but the book is still pretty good.

The third Harry potter is definately the best.

Currently, I'm reading the screenplay to L.A. Story by Steve Martin. Random, but definately funny.

------------------
I AM the Ass Demon Exorcist.

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

How are you liking it? I had mixed feelings about it, but there were certainly flashes of brilliance in it. There was also a short threshold of irritation for me. He's reading here next month and I think I'll check him out.

Shop Talk- Will Eisner

Just finished howard Stern's book, or at leas the interesting parts of it (I'm a sucker for celebrity dirt)

Finished HOUE OF LEAVES not to long ago, I bleive by Daielewski or something like that, very good book.

Reading Clive Barker's Weave World

Listening to James Gleick's GENIUS (I drive about two hours a day on average and I hate local radio)

Nabakov's Lolita for the fourth time,

A shite load of school books, college takes up most of my time, so I advance very slowly through my other books during the semester.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy

I just finished LOTR, the whole thing (except the appendices, which I may just read in part this time--sometimes I skip them, sometimes I read 'em all.) And I cried at the end. Again. Never fails.

So right now I'm not reading anything. I need to read some medieval stuff before the summer in preparation for a conference I'm going to and I have a feeling I should start now.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Right now, I'm reading "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's a funny, sci-fi tale about the apocalypse, which gets botched because the antichrist gets misplaced. I'm really liking it.

Up next, Tom Wolfe's "A Man in Full."

Kudos to all who are reading / have read F. Scott Fitzgerald. His work is absolute poetry. I plan to name at least one of my children after him.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Ice Bound : A Doctor's Incredible Battle for Survival at the South Pole

Serving as doctor to the Americans "wintering over" at the South Pole in 1999, Jerri Nielsen made headlines when she discovered a lump in her breast that a self-administered biopsy revealed to be an aggressive, fast-growing cancer. No flights in or out of Antarctica are possible during the continent's long winter, and Nielsen's account of giving herself chemotherapy while she and her fellow "Polies" waited for the weather to break is even more gripping than the news reports at the time. She's candid about her pain and fear; the media battle waged by her embittered ex-husband makes her ordeal even more challenging. Interestingly enough, however, this high drama does not overshadow Nielsen's deeper narrative of a woman who came "to the Ice" seeking new meaning in a life shattered by divorce and estrangement from her children. In the back-to-basics world of Antarctic medicine, with outdated equipment, few supplies, and no assistants, she rediscovered her vocation as a doctor, free from the imperatives of corporate-directed medicine. More importantly, Nielsen found spiritual solace in the world's most extreme environment, where she was "introduced slowly to the notion of giving more than you have and using less than you need ... of knowing that all you really own are your own thoughts." She makes the glories of the Pole so palpable that, by the end, readers will not even be surprised when she signs an e-mail to her family, "from the wonderful Ice." --

Right now, I'm reading "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's a funny, sci-fi tale about the apocalypse, which gets botched because the antichrist gets misplaced. I'm really liking it.

I love that book. Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite writers. Terry Gilliam is actually making a film of the book and it sounds liek he is goign to make a good job of it. You can read about it on Gaiman's online journal at http://www.neilgaiman.com

Originally posted by hermes:
I love that book. Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite writers. Terry Gilliam is actually making a film of the book and it sounds liek he is goign to make a good job of it. You can read about it on Gaiman's online journal at http://www.neilgaiman.com

Cool! Thanks for the heads up!

And to share this with someone who will get it: I love how Crowley is "an angel who did not so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards."
biggrin.gif
Hilarious!

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
'The Fellowship of the Ring' like the rest of the world.

I was in Mexico just before the movie came out and it was cool to see so many copies of it on the beach! Including the paperback edition of The Two Towers that I own, which is a slightly unusual one that you don't see often. I also have a hardcover edition now, the paperback one was getting quite ragged because I've had it since I was ten or so--but I still love the art on the covers.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
Sula-is W&P good??

yeah, W&P is a very good book. It's LONG...so you need to have patience, but it's very engrossing. The characters are so well written you feel as though you know them in and out. Tolstoy has a way of describing things in such detail that it becomes very real.

I just picked up Dostoyevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov" at a used bookstore the other day, and it is slated to be my next read. I guess I'm on a huge-old-books-written-by-Russians streak.
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom