What album did you just listen to from start to finish - Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was a strange one:

Dan Deacon - Bromst
Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey
Jonas Brothers - Lines, Vines and Trying Times :uhoh:
Wilco - Wilco (The Album)
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Girl Talk - Feed The Animals

and I'm working on Passion Pit's Manners right now, but I think I'll fall asleep before it's over.

Plenty of highly respectable music listening today:

The Jam - All Mod Cons
Beck - Modern Guilt
Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer
J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid
Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Big Star - #1 Record
Big Star - Radio City
Joni Mitchell - Blue

Woods - Songs of Shame
K'naan - The Dusty Foot Philosopher
Fruit Bats - The Ruminant Band
Pavement - Terror Twilight
Fruit Bats - Spelled in Bones
The Films - Oh, Scorpio
Okkervil River - The Stage Names
M. Ward - Hold Time
The National - Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
Doves - Kingdom Of Rust
Lou Reed - Transformer

"Stelly Dan" - as it's printed on the CD, Aja.

Man there are some great hooks on it :drool:

In fact I'm quickly falling in love with it. Black Cow is so cool, jazzy and funky, you've got the epic Aja with the instrumentation and the solos, the powerful choruses for Deacon Blues and Home at Last, the fast paced and downright catchy Peg... brilliant.

Anyone care to tell me what their other albums are like? Did they make many after Aja? I know they sang Rikki.. is that more reflective of that period, or is there some of the jazz-inspired brilliance that's present here?

Jay-Z - MTV Unplugged
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Jay Electronica - Style Wars EP
Radiohead - The Bends

The Jay Electronica EP is fucking phenomenal, if y'all are hip-hop heads. He takes music from 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,' loops it for 9 minutes and raps over it on one song. No beats, just ambient music. It's some of the best hip-hop I've heard in years, without a doubt.

Mfront1001.jpg

Mback2001-1.jpg

Back Cover:sexywink:

Anyone care to tell me what their other albums are like? Did they make many after Aja? I know they sang Rikki.. is that more reflective of that period, or is there some of the jazz-inspired brilliance that's present here?

As far as I'm concerned, Aja always will be their finest hour. That being said, their early work tends towards my preferences a little more closely. Can't Buy A Thrill has a classic rock bent, and sounds very much of its time. However, its peaks are very impressive. Countdown To Ecstasy is their heaviest, featuring a ton of fantastic guitar work, along with some jazzy inflections. Pretzel Logic, from which Rikki came from, is simply eclectic, taking on everything from country western to bebop to theatrical pop. Katy Lied and The Royal Scam are similarly all over the map, the former moodier and the latter overloaded with fuzzy guitar.

Personally, I rank their discography:

1. Aja - 10
2. Countdown - 9
3. Katy Lied - 8.5
4. Pretzel Logic - 8.5
5. Royal Scam - 8
6. Can't Buy A Thrill - 7.5
7. Gaucho - 7
8. Two Against Nature - 7
9. Everything Must Go - 6

Jonas Brothers - Lines, Vines and Trying Times :uhoh:

What'd you think? This is the one with the Miley duet on it right? That shit is hot, even though I haven't listened to it yet.

And since I'm in here I'll say that I haven't been listening much lately to albums all the way through as a whole, since there have been so many great singles released this year. But the album I've listened to as a whole themost this summer is definitely Eddie Vedder's Into The Wild soundtrack. I can't get enough of that gorgeous shizz.

Rogue Wave - Descended Like Vultures
Film School - s/t
Death Cab - Transatlanticism
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Copeland - Eat. Sleep. Repeat.
U2 - NLOTH

R.E.M. - Murmur
The Horrors - Primary Colours
Silversun Pickups - Swoon
The Chills - Submarine Bells
Jellyfish - Spilt Milk
The Format - Dog Problems
Tom Petty - Wildflowers

What'd you think? This is the one with the Miley duet on it right? That shit is hot, even though I haven't listened to it yet.

And since I'm in here I'll say that I haven't been listening much lately to albums all the way through as a whole, since there have been so many great singles released this year. But the album I've listened to as a whole themost this summer is definitely Eddie Vedder's Into The Wild soundtrack. I can't get enough of that gorgeous shizz.

It...was...uh...my second listen >_>. The singles and what not (The song they sing with Common), they were a joke, but the non-single stuff was actually good (The Miley duet is pretty awesome). The thing is, their voices are terrible, but the music is wonderful. I don't care enough to look into, but I am curious if they write the music or if someone else does. They even occasionally have some good lyrics as well, but their voices, I really HATE their voices.

Jay-Z - MTV Unplugged
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Jay Electronica - Style Wars EP
Radiohead - The Bends

The Jay Electronica EP is fucking phenomenal, if y'all are hip-hop heads. He takes music from 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,' loops it for 9 minutes and raps over it on one song. No beats, just ambient music. It's some of the best hip-hop I've heard in years, without a doubt.

You will of course be shocked to hear that you've intrigued me.

You will of course be shocked to hear that you've intrigued me.

That is shocking. I've put the 2 minute version of the track on my Space Moon list, so it'll be there, if you're checking those out. :D

My latest listens:
Fruit Bats - The Ruminant Band
Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom