Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Numb1075 said:
barry zito wants 5 years at $75 million - at a minimum:laugh:

Considering how there aren't many top-notch pitchers available, he just might get something close to that, as crazy as it seems.

We in Boston get very serious over such things, obviously. We can't just do regular reporting on what the Sox might/should do, we need to do it as a spiffy multimedia event.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/multimedia/2006offseason

The Phillies will probably sign a washed up veteran to a large multi-year deal based on his statistics from May 2000.

another young pitcher to have a nice knife into his elbow:

Francisco Liriano will undergo Tommy John surgery Monday in California.
Dr. Lewis Yocum, who examined Liriano on Friday, will perform the surgery, which was determined to be the correct course of action after four opinions. Liriano is likely to miss all of 2007, leaving a huge void in Minnesota's rotation. Fortunately, there's a good chance he'll return at full strength in 2008

The Oakland Athletics are expected to announce next week they will build a new stadium in suburban Fremont, Calif., the San Francisco Chronicle reported Tuesday, citing sources close to negotiations for the deal.

The newspaper reported the team wants to acquire a 143-acre site near the former Baylands Raceway Park and build a privately-funded 36,000-seat ballpark at an estimated cost of $300 million. The property is currently owned by the city of Fremont and is leased to high-tech firm Cisco Systems.

The Chronicle reported Athletics managing partner Lew Wolff and baseball commissioner Bud Selig -- who were fraternity brothers at the University of Wisconsin -- are expected to make the announcement at a news conference in the Bay Area next Tuesday.

A's spokesman Jim Young told the Chronicle he would not confirm the timing or content of the announcement. He did tell the newspaper "From an organizational standpoint, we are getting closer to announcing some concrete plans that will significantly impact the future of the A's in the Bay Area and plans that the owner has been working very hard on for more than two years."

Fremont is about 27 miles from Oakland and 18 miles from San Jose. Major League Baseball has always recognized San Jose as part of the San Francisco Giants' market under its territory rules, but the Fremont site is just short of the Santa Clara County line and would not trigger a territorial dispute.

During the American League Championship Series, Selig said he didn't have a problem with the A's moving to Fremont because "that's their territory."

The Athletics are in a year-to-year lease at McAfee Coliseum through 2010, with a team option to renew on a year-to-year basis through 2013, the newspaper reported. The team has called the Coliseum home since moving to Oakland in 1968, but has not been happy with the stadium since it was refurbished to accommodate the return of the NFL's Oakland Raiders from Los Angeles.

This past season, the A's didn't sell tickets for the Coliseum's upper deck and covered those seats with a green tarp.

Oakland City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente said he wasn't surprised by the development, and told the newspaper it was unlikely the city would get into a bidding war to keep the A's in the city limits.

"Teams and team owners look for the best deals for themselves, and that's understandable,'' he told the Chronicle. "There's nothing we can do about it.''

Outgoing Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown told the newspaper he had spoken with Wolff several times, but that Fremont had a crucial advantage on Oakland: "Fremont has the land."

Nov 9 - Mark Mulder plans to test the market before determining where he will call home next season. His agent, Gregg Clifton, already has met with the Cardinals, who may be interested in offering the left-hander something different than the one-year, incentive-laden deal he's bound to receive from other teams. "They were very open and honest about wanting him back," Clifton told the Newark Star-Ledger. "That being said, Mark has worked and waited a long time for the opportunity to become a free agent."
The 29-year-old lefty remains intrigued by the possibility of pitching for the Mets. "Obviously they're very high on his list," Clifton said. "And not just because it's the Mets and it's New York. It's because of his relationship with [Mets pitching coach] Rick Peterson."

Peterson was Mulder's pitching coach with the A's from 2000 until Peterson left to join the Mets before the 2004 season. During their time together, Mulder went 64-34.

Other clubs who have inquired about Mulder include the Diamondbacks, Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Devil Rays and Orioles.

Hindered by an impingement in his shoulder, Mulder, 29, finished with a 6-7 record and a 7.14 ERA in 2006. He had surgery on Sept. 12 to repair a partial tear in his rotator cuff. He is not expected to be ready before Opening Day in 2007.

apparently the phillies want to make a run at soriano so they can plug him in as protection for ryan howard.

if this is indeed the case, then i've changed my tune on wether or not the mets should go after him... if it means keeping him away from a division rival, i'm all for it.

you'd think the mets would make more sense for soriano... he loves randolph, he'd be back in new york where he never wanted to leave in the first place, and he could play second base again, which he couldn't do with the phillies.

Numb1075 said:
Mulder, Zito, Soriano.......Can Omar pull off the trifecta?

I keep hearing about Jake Peavy. I thought the it was bullspit because I know the Padres wanted a 3B, which sorry, Mets are not gonna give up Wright. But they just made that trade with Cleveland and that could open the door abit. I would love it if the Mets could get Peavy. He is young and an animal. The Padres Love Perez and after the NLCS his trade value is much higher than it was in august.

My personal Trifecta would be Peavy, Lee and Mulder.

I know they would still need a 2B, but there are guys out there. Derosa, Loretta, etc

(11/09/06) RIVERHEAD - Phone records of a beloved former New York Mets player and manager were introduced as evidence Thursday in the trial of a Hauppauge teen accused of killing his stepfather with a samurai sword.

Prosecutors say Zachary Gibian nearly decapitated Scott Nager in February of 2005 and then called his friend Troy "T.J." Harrelson, son of former Met Bud Harrelson, to help cover up the murder. Phone company representatives took the stand to speak about the phone records, which Suffolk prosecutors believe will help establish a timeline of events. T.J. Harrelson is expected to testify Monday, November 11 when the trial resumes.

phanan said:
And now there's a report that the Red Sox might have submitted the top bid for Matsuzaka, the highly-touted Japanese pitcher.

If true, this would be a slight surprise for me - I didn't think the Sox would be willing to spend that much, but apparently after missing the playoffs last year, anything is possible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656687

Saw that...Buster Olney broke the story so customary "take it with a grain of salt" disclaimer applies. Matsu looks like the real deal, thoug you never know with guys who've never pitched in the majors before.

Good deal for the Yanks, got some nice young pitching from Detroit for a guy they didn't want/need, though I assume they're now in the market for a 1B so Giambi can be a full-time DH.

I wonder if the Mets would sign Lugo to play 2B for them? If I'm the Mets I stay away from Mark Loretta - good player but will probably get offered more than he's really worth. They'd probably get similar production for much less $$$ by signing Adam Kennedy.

Soriano to Phillies? Interesting, they could sure use another bat behind Howard. I've heard talk of a Pat Burrell-Mike Lowell swap, depending on whether or not Burrell can still play 1B for Boston.

Does anyone think Manny Ramirez will be traded? I really hope not, if he goes David Ortiz won't see a pitch in the strike zone all year :(

Headache in a Suitcase said:
what's with the yankees trading off high priced vets for young prospects?

are they actually trying to restock their farm system so that they can build from within? or are htey just trying to restock their trade assets

ummmm, b sir!

Yep I'd go with B also. NYY need to add probably a starter (or 2, depending on what happens with Wright & Mussina, and if Pavano can contribute), and I expect them to add a 1B. I read this morning that Texas may make Mark Teixeira available, and they're forever looking for young pitching. I'd love to see Tex in Boston but I could see the Yanks going all out to add him (excellent hitter, plus defender).

SFO's Jason Schmidt to LA Dodgers? that's the talk...and Greg Maddux is thinking of re-upping another year...

LA Angels of Anaheim of Orange County, CA have their sights set on Soriano...Arte Moreno has the money to pull it off; Adam Kennedy was waived and Darren Erstad will come back.

Phils going for Soriano :huh:

They badly need these things:
- Pitching
- Manager
- Pitching
- Pitching
- Pitching
- Pitching
- Pitching

And above all else, pitching. Why spend $100 mil on Soriano when you have HUGE holes with pitching?

phillyfan26 said:
Phils going for Soriano :huh:

They badly need these things:
- Pitching
- Manager
- Pitching
- Pitching
- Pitching
- Pitching
- Pitching

And above all else, pitching. Why spend $100 mil on Soriano when you have HUGE holes with pitching?

He would be really scary in that ball park though.

I agree with you though, maybe if they can move burrell and dont have to eat all his contract they will go after a pitcher as well?

Orioles acquired RHP Jaret Wright and cash from the Yankees for RHP Chris Britton.

They must be getting ready to do something......

Looks like Keith Foulke is leaving the Red Sox.

His performance in the 2004 ALCS (as well as the rest of the postseason) is one of the best by a relief pitcher I can remember, and probably led to him blowing out his knees the year after.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom