Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:
shoulda just kept Cabrera

probably the dumbest move Theo Epstein ever made

Yeah, we should have, but much more than that we should have just kept Freddy "NL batting champ" Sanchez. Ask anybody who knew me at the time, this isn't hindsight speaking, I was PISSED.

I'm getting pretty sick of Theo. I think he's lost his original vision of building the club with home-grown talent, and of finding bargain guys who are about to have career years. I'd like to see someone with fresh ideas come in...

On a lighter note, Kieth Law:

The Red Sox insisted all along they weren't going to pay Julio Lugo $8 million a year. They were telling the truth: They're going to pay him $9 million instead.

Make that a heavy note. But it made me laugh.

A representative for Bonds' agent, Jeff Borris, said the 42-year-old is at the meetings to speak with teams other than the Giants. One of those teams may be the Cardinals, who reportedly would have some interest if Bonds were to come cheap. The Padres and A's, originally considered Bonds' two most likely alternatives to San Francisco, are looking in other directions.

If I were an MLB owner, I wouldn't touch Barry Bonds with a ten foot bat. He's really not worth the headache he will become. Barry should stay with the Giants and do the right thing. I mean the least he could do would be to stay with the Giants after all the years he's been under the microscope and they supported him through it all.

I'll tell ya, who is Ted Lilly kidding? His agent said that Lilly chose the Cubs over the Yanks because the NL is more suited to Ted's style. Ted Lilly is a mediocre pitcher at best, so it's no surprise that Ted prefers the Senior Circuit where pitchers hit and they aren't any DH's. I'm glad that the Yanks didn't sign him because then the media would be comparing him to other Yankee free agents who didn't pan out like Jaret Wright, Kevin Brown and Javier Vasquez.

The Red Sox are pretty glad Ted Lilly is now in the NL as well.

StlElevation said:
A representative for Bonds' agent, Jeff Borris, said the 42-year-old is at the meetings to speak with teams other than the Giants. One of those teams may be the Cardinals,
Makes sense that the granddaddy of steroid cheaters would have interest in joining the team that made steroids fashionable.

Bonds still wants 18 million.

all of the hoopla aside:

he hit 26 dingers, had 77 RBIs, batted .270, and played 130 games last season.

those numbers certainly arent' worthy of that kind of cash. He's dreaming.

.454 OBP in front of Pujols would be freaking sweet

but ya, I wouldnt give him more than 10 million

Garcia has lost a couple mph off his fastball, his hr's have gone up the past couple years, his k rate has gone down, and his era has gone up. he reminds me of Matt Morris when he went bad.

but he is still better than pretty much anything the Phillies had.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Mets appear to be walking a fine line between negotiating for Barry Zito and indirectly applying pressure on the free-agent lefthander. For that kind of activity, there's no place better than the winter meetings, where general manager Omar Minaya not only has spoken with agent Scott Boras, but talked about making deals with as many as seven teams, as well.

One new development yesterday was the arrival of Athletics GM Billy Beane, and Minaya talked with Beane about trade possibilities, primarily involving Rich Harden or Joe Blanton. The starting point for each was a package of Lastings Milledge and Aaron Heilman, but the two sides did not progress beyond the talking stage.

Minaya refused to confirm his meeting with the A's, but he's made no secret of his desire to stockpile pitching, which he did late Tuesday by trading Brian Bannister to the Royals for hard-throwing reliever Ambiorix Burgos. The acquisition of Burgos, whose fastball has reached 100 mph, could be a nice complement to the bullpen. But Minaya also suggested it could be a precursor to another swap, perhaps including Heilman, who has made it clear he would like to become a starter again.

"I don't want to get into the name of Heilman, but the trade with Kansas City gives me a lot of flexibility," Minaya said. "I feel a little bit more comfortable about the bullpen. If I want to move guys, I have an option to do that. I feel more comfortable doing that than I did before I had the trade."

Beane has long coveted Heilman and Milledge - they were often mentioned in a package for Zito the past two seasons - but it apparently will take more than just those two. Perhaps adding another young pitcher like Philip Humber to the mix might sway the A's. With rumors swirling about a potential Oakland-Mets swap, Beane playfully answered questions about his two pitchers.

For the 25-year-old Harden, Beane said, "I'd approach me on that one." As for Blanton, who will be 26 next week, he added, "I'd approach me on that one, too. The Mets aren't dumb. Pitching is hard to find."

The Mets have a surplus of young starting pitchers - Humber, Mike Pelfrey and Oliver Perez to name a few - but need more established starters for a rotation that is fronted by 40-year-old Tom Glavine and will be missing Pedro Martinez until after the All-Star break. Minaya also has spoken to the Rockies about Jason Jennings, but the price is difficult to predict until the free agents disappear.

The White Sox may be willing to move another starter after dealing Freddy Garcia to the Phillies for righthander Gavin Floyd last night, and there is also talk the Dodgers could make Brad Penny available after they agreed to terms with Jason Schmidt on a three-year, $47-million deal. Minaya was less confident about making another deal before the meetings end today, but he expects conversations to continue.

"I think some teams are coming down," Minaya said. "I still think that we may leave here and in general not have things done, because there are so many free agents still out there. I do know it's a domino effect, once one, two or three guys go off the board then it becomes boom, boom, boom. So I think that's when the trade market is going to kick in."

For Zito, it could be a while. At this stage, after meeting with Boras on Monday night, the Mets are reluctant to go beyond a four-year deal, but could be persuaded to go to five, as one person familiar with the situation said. And despite reports that the Rangers are prepared to go over $100 million on a six-year pact, Mets officials insist they are going nowhere near that figure. They may offer a higher annual salary over fewer years, but if the early reports of a nine-figure offer are correct, the Mets claim they won't match it.

Notes & quotes: Manager Willie Randolph announced Howard Johnson will be his first-base coach for the coming season. He also had considered Ken Oberkfell, Gary Carter, Rickey Henderson, Bobby Meacham and Gerald Williams.

this ones goes in the huh? department

the Royals, thats right, the Royals are signing Gil Meche (11-8 4.48 ERA) to a 4 year 45 million dollar deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom