Weird question about international U2 fans..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.Clayton

Refugee
OK, lets see if I can get this question to make sense.........
U2 releases albums in English....they are released worldwide. U2 plays a concert in Japan/Russia/Brazil/Italy/wherever...U2 sings in english. Do these fans know what U2 are singing? i.e. the words, the meaning, because the boys are singing in what is not the primary language for these countries..

I went and saw a popular band from Mexico a few months ago, they sang entirely in Spanish....I had no clue what they were singing about.

I just always wondered how this worked...

those are actual words Bono keeps muttering?
I thought he just made up those sounds

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
I went and saw a popular band from Mexico a few months ago, they sang entirely in Spanish....I had no clue what they were singing about.

but wasn?t that just because you don?t speak spanish. I mean, I speak English and so of course I understand what Bono?s singing and get most of his comments (that is if he?s not mumbling)

When I was just about to learn english I used to work my way through the lyrics with a dictionary, so I could understand the lyrics. It?s actually amazing how much you learn.

Er,does this answer your q??
smile.gif

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Salomey, u crack me up
But AM darling(hi by the way
biggrin.gif
), you are a very clever chickie who is bilingual(or maybe even multi?), I'm sure many fans who do go to the big gigs can't speak English.

Mrs Clayton, I think for the girlies that go, they prolly don't need to understand the lyrics when they are looking at Bono hehe

well, do we understand half of what the 3 tenors sing? no but we can still enjoy it, if u go for that kinda thing that is...and rock is always more approachable.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Salomey, u crack me up
But AM darling(hi by the way
biggrin.gif
), you are a very clever chickie who is bilingual(or maybe even multi?), I'm sure many fans who do go to the big gigs can't speak English.

I disagree. I think that many fans who go to the gigs/listen to the music CAN speak English. I mean, whether some like it or not, English is the universal language in the world.
Foreign fans may have to listen more closely to comprehend the lyrics (or pay less attention to all those words and more to the music), but they do know what U2 is singing about. Why do fans all over the world go wild for Pride, SBS, WOWY or One? Because they all have a sense what the song is about and regard the songs as classics because of its subject combined with its presentation.

So, foreign or not, we all understand U2.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Back
Top Bottom