Weird "Animal People" Freaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Bama

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Honestly, I try to be a very tolerant individual, but I think these people in this program on TLC are taking things a bit too far.

"I believe that, for whatever reason, I am a coyote born in a human body."

I am not advocating any laws against these people doing what they are doing, I merely find them to be disturbing.

~U2Alabama

what's wrong with being a seahorse of subdued flamboyance?

did you feel that pocket of air above you?

how strange.

one of those people had a crush on my best friend. He thought he was a fox :|. He had many other weird, creepy qualities about him too. Luckily, he leaves her alone now.

Have they had the cat lady on there?

11.gif

This reminds me of that freaky MTV show they had on a year or so ago about 'Furries and Plushies'. That was easily one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen.

Okay I am going to try to stay calm in this reply.
<rant>
People like Cat and Snap and such are called furries. These are people who roleplay different animals, or pretend to have an animal spirit. Coyote is a Therianthrope (aka Therian) which is a person who has the soul or spirit of an animal. Therians do not dress up in fur outsite or get strange implants. They do not parade around town declaring their phenotype on a loud speaker. A phenotype is the animal spirit they have. Coyote (John)'s spirit is that of a coyote.

Now, you are probably wondering why I find some of your responses offensive. And I do not get offended easily. I have a strong belief in Therianthropy and I dislike it when furries make Therians look like a joke. I am not a Therian myself but I do have a friend who is. I've been to their online communities and they are not posers who just want attention. Most of them have not told a single person that they know in person about themselves. They usually only tell VERY close friends who they know will not ridicule them or poke fun at them.

Cat (the tiger guy with all the body mod) is not a tiger inside. His totem is that of a cat. He took the whole furry thing and ran with it. He looks like a freak. In native culture, as the show explained, people dress up as their totems for special ceremonies. Not for everyday. I was worried about this program before I saw it. I was worried that it would give a bad image to Therians. It was much worse than I thought.

</rant>

Last edited:
A phenotype is actually the physiological expression of genetic material... sometimes a result of additive or pleiotropic effects, other times a single gene-protein process.

The use of this term for an obviously psychological phenomenon is not valid. An embedded mental projection that does not correlate with physical manifestation is clearly not a phenotypic description. I'm not here to marginalize the group of Therians or Furries... but the slang use of scientific modifiers is not appropriate.

/end pompous rant.

cujo said:
A phenotype is actually the physiological expression of genetic material... sometimes a result of additive or pleiotropic effects, other times a single gene-protein process.

The use of this term for an obviously psychological phenomenon is not valid. An embedded mental projection that does not correlate with physical manifestation is clearly not a phenotypic description. I'm not here to marginalize the group of Therians or Furries... but the slang use of scientific modifiers is not appropriate.

/end pompous rant.

Yeah, and monkeys might fly out my butt.

well thats the term they always use to describe their animal. I guess animal spirit would work but it can be misleading and such.
but cujo, could you please enlighten me with an example of these phenotype you seem to know so much about. In your wisdom I am humbled.

Actually, Cujo is totally correct on this one. A phenotype is just the outward appearance/characteristics of an organism's genes, etc.

Take an apple for example. They can be different colors, different sizes, have different sized seeds, etc., but they're all still apples.

The different colors, sizes, shapes, etc are all different phenotypes of an apple.

Last edited:
I never said cujo was wrong. I simply asked him to give me an example. I coldnt follow his post. Thanks for the apple thingy though. I'm not sure why Therians use the word phenotype to describe the animal spirit thingy. I'll ask my friend later tonight when he gets online.

And I apologise if I offended anyone with my rant. I just get uber pissed when people lump Furries and Therians together. Passion does rule reason though. *shrugs* I thikn I made my point well enough though. I would have rather had people not pick apart a misdefinition of a word in my post. But I dont get everything I wish for.

something from a site on Therianthropy.

"Therianthropy
There's a saying floating around the net that if you ask 10 therians what it is to be a therian you'll get 11 answers. Like vampirism the exact definition of what it takes to be a therian could be debated for years and still just come down to personal beleif. So what follows is simply my take on what it is.

A therian (or 'were') has a connection with an animal. This connection can come in many forms, some examples include:
* the beleif that their soul is that of the animal trapped in a human body
* the beleif that part of thier soul is animal
*the beleif they were of the animal in a past life (the idea of reincarnation)
* the beleif the spirit of the animal are part of them but seperate to their human souls (sort of like two sharing the same body)

A therian's inner animal is known as thier phenotype. While wolf is the most common phenotype around so far, it is not limited to this. Other common phenotypes include foxes, cyotes, panthers and tigers. A phenotype can be any animal. There are bears, birds, horses, deer, sharks... anything you can think of. Though admittedly I have yet to meet a were-dolphin! It is also possible for a were to have more than one phenotype. These are known as polyweres. Over the past couple of years there has been a huge increase in phenotypes other than wolves as well as an increase in those who's phenotype are more 'astral' creatures - such as dragons, elves, pheonixes, etc."

taken from
http://natureoracle.mysitespace.com/therianthropy.html

RavenStar said:
something from a site on Therianthropy.

"Therianthropy
There's a saying floating around the net that if you ask 10 therians what it is to be a therian you'll get 11 answers. Like vampirism the exact definition of what it takes to be a therian could be debated for years and still just come down to personal beleif. So what follows is simply my take on what it is.

A therian (or 'were') has a connection with an animal. This connection can come in many forms, some examples include:
* the beleif that their soul is that of the animal trapped in a human body
* the beleif that part of thier soul is animal
*the beleif they were of the animal in a past life (the idea of reincarnation)
* the beleif the spirit of the animal are part of them but seperate to their human souls (sort of like two sharing the same body)

A therian's inner animal is known as thier phenotype. While wolf is the most common phenotype around so far, it is not limited to this. Other common phenotypes include foxes, cyotes, panthers and tigers. A phenotype can be any animal. There are bears, birds, horses, deer, sharks... anything you can think of. Though admittedly I have yet to meet a were-dolphin! It is also possible for a were to have more than one phenotype. These are known as polyweres. Over the past couple of years there has been a huge increase in phenotypes other than wolves as well as an increase in those who's phenotype are more 'astral' creatures - such as dragons, elves, pheonixes, etc."

taken from
http://natureoracle.mysitespace.com/therianthropy.html

I wrote a poem about malapropism once.

Yay!

:up:

care to share it here? I was gonna ask me friend why they call it their phenotype but I didnt see him on yahoo. And my msn hasnt been working for over a week. Bah @ msn not working.

Back
Top Bottom