Wedding Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dawkins20

Babyface
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for good ideas for wedding songs.....not the obvious choices...as much as I love WOWY and AIWIY....I want something more original.

Of course it doesn't have to be U2 either.....

Cheers

I was the same way. My first choice was the Sweetest Thing, but he didt want that because he was afraid I'd pick all U2 songs for the wedding. So we used that for our cake cutting song. For our wedding song, we used Overjoyed by Stevie Wonder.

She ls Raging said:
I was the same way. My first choice was the Sweetest Thing, but he didt want that because he was afraid I'd pick all U2 songs for the wedding. So we used that for our cake cutting song. For our wedding song, we used Overjoyed by Stevie Wonder.

That's a nice suggestoin...haven't heard it in awhile...will have to check it again.

I love your avatar....Jeff Buckley :drool:

What about Reservations by Wilco? What do people think of that?

"I Believe in Miracles" by Hot Chocolate should start the dancing at any good wedding. :wink:

In terms of slow/lovey-dovey songs, you can't go wrong with Etta James' "At Last." Classy, romantic, and (in my opinion) still never hackneyed.

And if you want a U2 song, go with something less obvious, like "The First Time" or "Luminous Times" or "Walk to the Water" or "Always." Think of how fun "Always" would be at a wedding! "This is the moment that we share, for always..."

dawkins20 said:

What about Reservations by Wilco? What do people think of that?

That's such a beautiful song!

"I've got reservations...about so many things...but not about you..."

Speaking of Jeff Buckley, what about his cover of "Twelfth of Never"? That's a real tear-jerker for me.

There are some Irish and Scottish traditional songs that are beautiful, too, if you're into that kind of thing...try "Marble Halls" by Enya, "There Was a Lady" by Relativity, or "A Red Red Rose" (which has been recorded by quite a few different artists).

Edited to say: I've sung for a lot of weddings, so this is a favorite subject of mine. :wink: And I can recommend some good sacred music, too, if you're having a church wedding (Catholic or Protestant).

pax said:
"I Believe in Miracles" by Hot Chocolate should start the dancing at any good wedding. :wink:

In terms of slow/lovey-dovey songs, you can't go wrong with Etta James' "At Last." Classy, romantic, and (in my opinion) still never hackneyed.

And if you want a U2 song, go with something less obvious, like "The First Time" or "Luminous Times" or "Walk to the Water" or "Always." Think of how fun "Always" would be at a wedding! "This is the moment that we share, for always..."

Those are very nice suggestions as well. Thanks.

pax said:

That's such a beautiful song!

"I've got reservations...about so many things...but not about you..."

Speaking of Jeff Buckley, what about his cover of "Twelfth of Never"? That's a real tear-jerker for me.

I love that cover as well.

I think we are going to pick a wedding song together....but I am planning on getting up on stage and playing 5-6 songs...a couple of my own and then some covers.....

therefore I don't think the Jeff Buckley is going to happen....:(

I love Tupelo Honey by Van Morrison

also Push by Sarah McLachlan- sort of corny but I like it

Push Lyrics

Every time I look at you the world just melts away
All my troubles all my fears dissolve in your affection
You’ve seen me at my weakest but you take me as I am
And when I fall you offer me a softer place to land

You stay the course you hold the line you keep it all together
You’re the one true thing I know I can believe in
You’re all the things that I desire you save me you complete me
You’re the one true thing I know I can believe

I get mad so easy but you give me room to breathe
No matter what I say or do ‘cause you’re too good to fight about it
Even when I have to push just to see how far you’ll go
You won’t stoop down to battle but you never turn to go

Love is just the antidote when nothing else can cure me
There are times I can’t decide when I can’t tell up from down
You make me feel less crazy when otherwise I’d drown
But you pick me up and brush me off and tell me I’m okay
Sometimes that’s just what we need to get us through the day

In My Life, by The Beatles

The Luckiest, by Ben Folds

Feels Like Home, by Chantal Kreviazuk

At My Most Beautiful, by REM

Waltz With Me, by Tonic

:drool:

U2 has a version of Unchained Melody? Do you know where maybe I could find it at? I love the original and wasn't aware that U2 had done a cover. By the way a good wedding song would be "I Cross My Heart" by George Strait. Im not into country music but it's a beautiful love song.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
True Companion by Marc Cohn is one I've always wanted, should that day ever arrive.

I love this song too. My husband and I had our first dance to this song. We also had it in our wedding video. Seven years later, people still ask me about that beautiful song. It's moving and timeless.

I also really love Beatles songs. Something (Something in the way she moves...attracts me like no other...) makes a beautiful first dance song.

Beautiful Day would be great for a video. And of course perfect for a wedding. September by Earth Wind and Fire is a great dance song. It always gets the crowd moving and seems to evoke happiness. We used that song in our video too.

At weddings, I just love to hear Fly Me to Moon. I don't know, it's just a wedding song. As far as old fashioned, classics that song is perfect.

As far as recessionals, I kinda like Beautiful Day. I also love Vivaldi Spring as a recessional.

pax said:
I :heart: that song.

So do I :).

A lot of other great choices here, too. I know this is probably cliched, but how about "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton? There'd be another good one. Or the Corrs' "Run Away".

I've also always seen U2's "In A Little While" as a love song, so perhaps that'll work, too? There's a few more for you (and congrats on the upcoming wedding, too, by the way!).

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

I've also always seen U2's "In A Little While" as a love song, so perhaps that'll work, too?

oooooo! good one!

I love how most of the songs in this thread I never really imagined using in a wedding before

Now I want to get married just so I can play music! :lol:

Of course, that would require an s.o. first :(

I thought of another one... The Beatles' All You Need Is Love :heart:

Back
Top Bottom