War of the Worlds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
Is anyone on here going to see this movie? Do you think with Steven Spielberg on board that it will be almost like Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Or do you think with the publicity surrounding the "love" between TomKat that the movie is not going to be a blockbuster?

There's no way I'm going to miss this film! It has three things going for it.

1. War of the Worlds. I mean come on, it's an awesome story, and the original film was fantastic.

2. Tom Cruise. He's awesome.

3. Spielberg. ditto.

I want see it too. Some parts of it was filmed not too far from where I live, so it would be interesting to see a familiar setting in the movie!

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pictures from Universal Studios back lot.

WOTW.jpg

WOTW2.jpg

LONDON - The London premiere of "War of the Worlds" turned into a war of words after Tom Cruise was squirted in the face by a man posing as a reporter.

Four men were released on bail after being arrested and were ordered to return to a police station Monday.

The actor was outside a movie theater in central London's Leicester Square on Sunday doing press interviews when a man squirted him with a water pistol disguised as a microphone, London's Metropolitan Police said.

Cruise initially appeared to laugh at the incident but then asked the prankster: "Why would you do that?"

As the man gave a barely audible excuse, Cruise said: "Do you like thinking less of people, is that it?" The prankster tried to walk away but Cruise reached across the metal barrier, held his arm and said: "Don't run away. That's incredibly rude. I'm here giving you an interview and you do that ... it's incredibly rude."

The actor grew increasingly irritated and told the man: "You're a jerk." Footage of the incident appeared on Sky News TV on Monday.

Police detained the man who squirted Cruise and arrested three other men who filmed the incident. The four were working on a new comedy show for British television station Channel 4 in which celebrities are the targets of practical jokes.

Police released the men on bail several hours later and ordered them to return to a central London police station on Monday, when they may be charged with assault, the police spokesman said.

Actress Katie Holmes, who recently got engaged to Cruise, was at the premiere but not by his side at the time of the incident.

(Bloody rude Brits)

Last edited:
this is being released without
critics seeing it

I guess they don't want to let critics tee off on Cruise,
seems to be favorite blood sport for many these days

imdb scores it 7.0 with 800 viewers

it should do fine at box office

nbcrusader said:
No reviews until the movie opens.

nah na nah nah

here is one from a regular fan

culled from imdb

Simply put; this movie is Awesome!! I saw it recently here in Germany and I'm not allowed to write about it but who cares. I have nothing bad to say about it anyway and I won't spoil anything! But I'll tell you about my feelings of this movie. This movie pulls you through your entire range of emotions in a short span of time, and you'll feel drained when you exit the theater after seeing it.

This is a special movie. Normally when you have multimillion effects shot in a movie the director does everything to make sure the audience see these effects from the best possible angle so that no money on effects are wasted.

In this movie it's a whole other deal. Spielberg shows his genius with this movie by letting the action and effects shots be a natural part of the movie and it makes it much, much better and much more harrowing to watch. Sometimes it feels like watching the footage from some poor embedded journalist in a conflict somewhere. You see people running and in the background you see glimpses of extraordinary and terrifying things happening. Sometimes you see full shots of attacking aliens but it's very "random" and it's never predictable as to what comes next. I LOVE THE ACTION IN THIS MOVIE. Just wait, it's hard to explain.

This is also a horror movie, and think back of the little boy in the kitchen in "Close encounters". This is a classic scene that demonstrates how effective Spielberg can build tension especially using light. Now multiply this scene by 5 and you'll have an idea of some of the scenes in this movie.

This movie is also shocking. You have scenes of people being thrown in huge cages where they crush each other to death and characters that you would never think will get hurt, well they... Well, wait and see. You'll be shocked.

This movie is as far from ID4 as possible so people expecting ti see ID4ever will be disappointed. This is smart sci-fi, effective horror, touching drama and crazy action all blended seamlessly together by Steven Spielberg. This is THE movie of the year!!!!

I'm sure visually it will be amazing. I'm disappointed though that the original subtext meaning of the story (about the decline of the British Empire - or about power in general) will/has been replaced by another simplistic Tom Cruise Saves The World story. But I will definitely see it, see how that works out.

Drudge Report has some review tidbits and an entire review from Variety

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER: ALIENS IMPRESS, BUT LACKS HUMAN IDENTITY...

SACRAMENTO BEE: DOESN'T SET ITSELF APART...

LA DAILY NEWS: THRILLING, BUT REMAKE EVENTUALLY RUNS OUT OF AMMO...

NEW YORK TIMES: 'REASONABLY ENTERTAINING RENDERING'...

SAN JOSE MERC: 'A PICTURE WITHOUT A THOUGHT IN ITS PRETTY HEAD; NOT END OF WORLD, JUST WISH IS WERE BY END OF MOVIE'...

AP: DISJOINTED AND EPISODIC, ALIENS LOOK 'BEGGED, BORROWED AND STOLEN FROM EVERY RECENT MOVIE'...

ORLANDO SENTINEL: 'GRIM, HEAVY AND PONDEROUS'...

inmyplace13 said:
Seeing it at midnight tonight :up:

I lied. My local theatre wasn't showing it at midnight.

But tomorrow the brand new theatre opens up in my modest town (the closest one before was in Arlington) and I'll go see it there.

We finally got a movie theatre! Just got a Taco Bueno a few months ago too :drool: . All that's left is a Best Buy, and that'll be here in the fall. Too bad I'll be at university three hours away then.

I wanna stay here now. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom