Want To Bet Me *Anything* That Ottawa Wins The Stanley Cup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
cujo, i miss your old avatar :mad:

Don't worry... he'll make a return for next season :wink:

I cycle my avatars. Keeps you on your toes.

Is it just me, or has my avatar's low quality jpeg format made it look like a hacky sack... or rasta hat?

Hemp 4 life :wink:

ray_rob340x230_10536385831479.jpg

Come on Rob, why don't you show us how you really feel about the media? (CP)

Sens glad for home-ice advantage

http://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/story/1...ckey&association=nhl&STORY_OID=10536378947252

Expect a boisterous crowd at the Corel Centre Friday night when the Senators host the Devils for the right to go the dance.

(posted May. 22, 5:06PM EDT)
OTTAWA -- Winning the President's Trophy as the NHL's first overall team in the regular season was more than a milestone and a bonus cheque for the Ottawa Senators.

It is carrying them to where they will be on Friday night -- at home in the eardrum-shattering Corel Centre for the seventh and deciding game of the Eastern Conference final against the New Jersey Devils.

The winner gets to start the Stanley Cup final at home against the Western Conference champion Anaheim Mighty Ducks on Tuesday night.

?We worked all year to get first place so we'd have home-ice advantage in the playoffs,? goaltender Patrick Lalime said after a brief team meeting Thursday. ?We know the crowd here is going to be loud and we have to take advantage of that.

?We got the President's Trophy for this reason -- to have Game 7 here,? added head coach Jacques Martin. ?You get the energy, the noise, the enthusiasm of your fans -- that's what it means.?

It will be hard to top the deafening clamour Ottawa fans brought for Game 5 of the best-of-seven series on Monday, when the Senators trailed the series 3-1 and looked ready for summer vacation, only to pull off an inspired 3-1 win.

For a team labelled by many in recent years as playoff no-shows, it was a turning point -- the first time the Sens had won a game when facing playoff elimination.

And they won again in Game 6 on Wednesday night, beating the Devils in New Jersey 2-1 on defenceman Chris Phillips' overtime goal to tie the series.

?We feel we've turned momentum back on our side and we're back home,? said Phillips, who changed his skate laces before Game 5 -- a superstition he turns to for luck. ?To us, we've just played two Game 7's, so this is no different.

?We came out on top and now we have to do the same things that made us successful.?

The Senators had the best regular season in their 11-year history with 113 points this season, but the Devils weren't far behind with 108.

And New Jersey's vast playoff experience, including Stanley Cups in 1995 and 2000 and a trip to the final in 2001, made them a formidable test for a young Ottawa club that, however talented, had yet to learn how to win when it counted most.

With two hard-fought wins in which they used their youth, speed and new-found determination to check New Jersey to a standstill, they appear ready to exorcise a few devils of their own.

The Devils are not only back on their heels, but may be hurting. Veteran centre Joe Nieuwendyk reportedly had to be helped to the dressing room after injuring a leg in overtime, although he told reporters he would be ready to play.

?It's crushing, but we have another chance,? said centre John Madden. ?If we'd been seriously outplayed or dominated the last two games, I'd be worried, but that's not the case.?

A win on Friday night could make Senators' lore of a pre-game pep talk by cancer-stricken coaching legend Roger Neilson and the insertion of 19-year-old phenom Jason Spezza to boost the power play in Game 5.

Neilson's message was that teams don't get many chances to play for the Cup, so you have to make the most of it.

It has become the Senators' rallying cry.

?A lot of guys here have never got this far,? defenceman Wade Redden said. ?We have to look at the position we're in and how close we are to getting to the next level.

?I think we've done that. There's still a long way to go, but you have to seize the moment when it's there.?

Added forward Todd White: ?We didn't like the position we were in, down 3-1, but we felt confident that we had a team that could come back.?

While falling behind in the series, the Senators were guilty of defensive lapses and didn't get stellar goaltending from Lalime.

Their answer was to stay on top of the Devils, forechecking relentlessly and limiting New Jersey's chances. Lalime bounced back with two solid efforts.

?Pat made some big saves and what was also important was our special teams,? said Martin. ?We had a power play goal in (each of) the last two games.

?Sometimes it takes a while to adjust to an opponent. But we've been getting better.?

A year ago, the Senators were beaten in Game 7 of the conference semifals by Toronto.

?In that game, maybe we got a little too excited and worked up,? said Redden. ?We have to go out and do the same things we've been doing.

?The things we've done best are getting pucks behind them and forechecking hard,? he added. ?That's tough for any defence to deal with. If we keep the pressure on, keep forcing them, it bodes well for us.?

It may also help to score first. The team that gets the first goal has won all six games thus far, although that team has not always held the lead throughout the game.

Michael Griffiths said:

Come on, it's Rob Ray! What do you expect? lol

Well Mr. Griffiths, I expect him to lose...

mwhahahahaha... hahahahah... hehehe... hoo hoo hoo...

:wink:

Michael Griffiths said:
Oh, just like the last 2 games? :wink:

I would say that playing zero minutes is losing enough. Read your stats man, really...

He was on a fishing trip...
the last goal he ever scored was in Round 2...
they didn't score another until the season opener,
the year he middlefingered a reporter!!!

PS- sorry, I thought Michael would appreciate it... I stole it from a hockey card, I keep tucked up under :wink:

Hey, no one said Bertuzzi had much class.

He is, however, the best power forward in the NHL.

Every team would *love* to have him.

He plays for the Vancouver Canucks.

He's forgiven.

Ps. Nice poem, Cujo. Good concert review, too.

cujo said:
I think Coldplay will be there soon, or already has... my journal has a review of the concert in it... and if you search "The Music" with your primo privileges, a Bang and Clatter thread should come up... by that title. I wrote a review of their album in there, on the last page.

I only wish you could have wrote more on UF... but there's a lot to cover. good stuff.
Hey, forgot to reply to this post...I think I found your review of The Music's new album. It's quite short, right? Like a paragraph or so? If so, I read it, and they sound quite interesting. I listened to 'Getaway' -- totally rocks! -- and am listening to 'The Long Road...' right now. To the untrained ear (ie, mine), sounds very Zeppelinish.

And, yes, you hit the nail on the head about my UF review -- it's *way* too short. That album is layered and extensive, and the review should be as well. I was already up to 6 pages (double spaced), which is the length of the average 1st year college essay, so I decided to leave it at that. I kind of wrapped it up much too quickly, which I feel kind of bad about. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Michael Griffiths said:

Hey, forgot to reply to this post...I think I found your review of The Music's new album. It's quite short, right? Like a paragraph or so? If so, I read it, and they sound quite interesting. I listened to 'Getaway' -- totally rocks! -- and am listening to 'The Long Road...' right now. To the untrained ear (ie, mine), sounds very Zeppelinish.

Awesome... Getaway is my favorite track from that album. Rock on Griffiths, you're just racking up the points in kick-assness. If you like the Zeppelin, check out my review of their IMAX show in Bang and Clatter called "Led Zeppelin, Large and Live"...

Thanks for checking it out Mikey...

PS- I thought you would get the Tragically Hip "Fifty Mission Cap" reference in my poem... oh well. They're pretty good live, thought I'd encapsulate them with a parody... seeing as you list them as a favorite.

cujo

He is, however, the best power forward in the NHL.

Every team would *love* to have him.

yes, every team would love to have a player that chokes in the playoffs

cujo said:

PS- I thought you would get the Tragically Hip "Fifty Mission Cap" reference in my poem... oh well. They're pretty good live, thought I'd encapsulate them with a parody... seeing as you list them as a favorite.

cujo

Hey, I picked up on that...that was hilarious!!!!!

Michael, I wouldn't say there's a lot of us frenchies left in Saskatchewan to be honest...there's definitely a lot more in Manitoba (south of Winnipeg, St.Boniface) and in Alberta (towns north of Edmonton)...and yes, definitely a lot here in Ottawa and surrounding arreas!

p.s.: Go SENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cujo said:

Awesome... Getaway is my favorite track from that album. Rock on Griffiths, you're just racking up the points in kick-assness. If you like the Zeppelin, check out my review of their IMAX show in Bang and Clatter called "Led Zeppelin, Large and Live"...

Thanks for checking it out Mikey...

cujo
haha, Cuj - yeah, now I get the Hip reference. No one said I was the quickest train on the track, now did they? lol Yes, very good parody. Actually, it's pretty damn funny now that I know what it is. I haven't even been drinking, so I have no excuse. Well, I do have the flu but still pretty sad...

As for them being a favourite, yeah, I do like them a lot, but mostly I'm just being a good Canadian by addding them in. Plus, I was really into some of their stuff at the time. They are a good band, and deserve the recognition.

Last edited:
Tragically Hip = :up:

Oh the patronage is not necessary... you've already been dubbed Canadian by the Order of Cujo. There's no need to perpetuate the myth of Canadian politeness... soon, all will learn of our devious nature... mwhahahahaha, hahahaha.

PS- I'm sorry, did I offend you? It was not intended. Please accept my apologies with this fresh batch of maple syrup...

So, wait, being dubbed by just you is enough? Hmm, I think I'll have to ask the other Canadians in this thread about that. :hmm: :sexywink:

What can Michael the Heritage Minister do?

I'm the Prime Sinister... my decree is law. Michael can help you in the donut consumption department.

Heritage Sinister at your service:

We in Canada decree the honour of the Order of Canadar (British pronounciation) to you, my trusted American friend, and fellow honorary Canadian, the distinction of The Great Tim Horton Badge (and a complimentary roll up the rim to win to go), and all the rights, privelages heretofor, of the distinction

Wear it with honour (Canadian variant, of course)!

Last edited:
So Cuj - are you excited yet? Please don't tell me that little piece of Canada in you isn't cheering for the Senators! It's okay, you know. Give in, Cuj, give in...this is where Canadian pride can take over. It's much more fun anyway! :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom