Wank, Bavaria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Breathe people...

It seems like there is a small handful of people that simply don't know when to quit. It's not healthy to let a message board discussion get you so upset. If you feel like you are going in circles and not coming to any agreements why not just walk away for a while? What happened to agreeing to disagree? Everyone has different opinions and I realize that when it comes to music people are very opinionated but sometimes you just have to let it go for the sake of your own sanity. I dont really know what else to say about the situation.

Man I cant wait for U2's album to come out. Not.

I agree with you, but this isn't an isolated event, so that's why it seems like a bigger deal than it really is, if that makes any sense.

And that's all I have to say about that.

forrest.jpg

Clearly not. Look, Justin, this is getting ridiculous. Stop. It seems that every debate you get into here just seems to further convince you that you somehow bear knowledge and wisdom others don't have and that you function on some other plane of existence to them. All that seems to do is cause you to act increasingly arrogant and condescending. I did not originally associate those words with you, but attitudes you have increasingly revealed lately fit them perfectly. The outcome of this is that your posts seem belittling and insulting to the people you're addressing, even if you don't intend them to be. Don't pretend you're the only victim here; don't let your perspective be that narrow.

To a point, you're right about one thing. PFan has a very limited view of the musical landscape. But I challenge you to name one person here who DOESN'T. Your view is very limited. My view is very limited. Ian's, LM's, LMP's, NSW's - they're all very limited. Who here has listened to even 2,000 albums in their life? Now, how many tens of thousands of albums are released every month? And remember, you aren't much older than PFan and can't really talk about these things. We all have a lot to learn and discover. Maybe you should keep that in mind. Context, man. It's all about the context. And the subjectivity (as much as I routinely forget that myself).

Sorry, I was just lurking in this thread, after posting in the Coldplay thread disaster.

Axver, that's a superb and brutally honest post. Unfortunately, it's also well-deserved, Justin. After reading some of your posts, and your reactions to them, I'm actually concerned for you as a fellow human being. You seem to be seeking validation in others here, but then preying on their weaknesses, knowledge, or shortcomings if they don't somehow meet your level of musical expertise.

After sharing a few emails with you regarding the old Space Moon playlists, I sensed your genuine passion for the songs, creating themes, and so on. The key for you now, is to find that theme in your own life, where you aren't attention-seeking, or judgmental of others' tastes. You seem to have a big heart underneath it all. Perhaps you have a fear of not measuring up to your OWN expectations, and that's normal. To project that to others, to the point where you insult them, is not.

Good luck in finding yourself...and being true to yourself. I have faith that you can do it. :up:

Honestly, the healthiest way to avoid racism is not by including everyone to help cover your own ass, but to genuinely not care in the first place. He fit more into column A, and I think he may have misinterpreted the concept of the game.

Yeah, exactly. The same thing goes for sexism. It does piss me off that almost all the music I own is probably by white males, but it's not by design in the slightest. I listen to music based on how it sounds to my ears, not what the race or sex of the musician is.

You know, there we 20,000 lightning strikes around New Zealand two nights ago. The last five days have just been a succession of thunderstorms.

Nearby thunder, time to unplug the laptop from the mains....

Those things are true. I freely admit that and try to change that. I wasn't intending to belittle Pfan. I don't feel I insulted him though.

You missed the part where I said everyone needs to explore more. Everyone has a limited view but Pfan especially is just discovering so much of the musical landscape.

You may not feel you insulted him, and in light of your explanation I see where you're coming from, but I think in cases like this, the feeling of the recipient trumps the intent. You didn't deliberately insult him, but you accidentally did, and I hope you're man enough to acknowledge that.

And I don't think it's fair to single him out. Hell, every time I go on one of my music binges, I feel like I'm discovering music all over again. I don't know if I could ever reach a point where I would consider myself any more than a musical n00b.

After sharing a few emails with you regarding the old Space Moon play lists, I sensed your genuine passion for the songs, creating themes, and so on. The key for you now, is to find that theme in your own life, where you aren't attention-seeking, or judgmental of others' tastes. You seem to have a big heart underneath it all. Perhaps you have a fear of not measuring up to your OWN expectations, and that's normal. To project that to others, to the point where you insult them, is not.

Heh, that's a cool way of putting it. I think Screwy does mean well, and that's largely why I converse with him as I do instead of just joking around like I usually would. I want him to turn things around.

You know, there we 20,000 lightning strikes around New Zealand two nights ago. The last five days have just been a succession of thunderstorms.

Nearby thunder, time to unplug the laptop from the mains....

Has New Zealand just moved a couple of thousand kilometres closer to Queensland or something?

We should be boycotting everything from Zimbabwe, you fool!

Unless it's made by MDC supporters, in which case we should grab some really big speakers and play it at full blast outside every Zimbabwean embassy in the world.

Yeah, exactly. The same thing goes for sexism. It does piss me off that almost all the music I own is probably by white males, but it's not by design in the slightest. I listen to music based on how it sounds to my ears, not what the race or sex of the musician is.

I gotta say, due to some folks here discussing it, gender is often in the back of my mind when making lists, though I rarely act on it. There's a current list I started up tonight that has three female singers already. But, again, it's not intentional.

You missed the part where I said everyone needs to explore more.

I'm curious. Why don't you heed your own advice here? And I don't only mean in the musical sense. I mean in life in general. Before telling people how they should think or feel, or saying that you have a lot to teach people, maybe you should live, explore, and learn more about yourself and the outside world.

Just a thought.

fine, if you only want to include white boy rock, then go ahead and boycott zimbabwe music.

(i already know everyone's entries will suck btw)

Sometimes I almost prefer the kind of criticism he brought to the table over the pat on the head people usually give. "Oh, it was nice! I especially liked tracks ____, ____, and ____. But yeah...I won't be voting for you. Sorry."

I gotta say, due to some folks here discussing it, gender is often in the back of my mind when making lists, though I rarely act on it. There's a current list I started up tonight that has three female singers already. But, again, it's not intentional.

Personally, what bugs me is not so much that the music I own typically lacks a female presence, but that the genres my ears like seem to develop scenes dominated by males. I can see why there aren't too many women in metal outside of goth metal (and I wish the mysogynistic sides of metal would fuck off and stop making the genre as a whole look so juvenile). But I can't quite fathom why, say, prog is so dominated by men. At least the Dunedin Sound had its share of prominent female musicians.

Heh, that's a cool way of putting it. I think Screwy does mean well, and that's largely why I converse with him as I do instead of just joking around like I usually would. I want him to turn things around.

Yeah, I certainly think he means well too, so I hope I don't want to come across as being too harsh. And great post by AoD. :up:

Personally, what bugs me is not so much that the music I own typically lacks a female presence, but that the genres my ears like seem to develop scenes dominated by males. I can see why there aren't too many women in metal outside of goth metal (and I wish the mysogynistic sides of metal would fuck off and stop making the genre as a whole look so juvenile). But I can't quite fathom why, say, prog is so dominated by men. At least the Dunedin Sound had its share of prominent female musicians.

Yeah, I don't understand what makes prog rock so masculine. Hell, first wave prog had men prancing around in tights, blowing on pan flutes. Good Lord.

Sorry, I was just lurking in this thread, after posting in the Coldplay thread disaster.

Axver, that's a superb and brutally honest post. Unfortunately, it's also well-deserved, Justin. After reading some of your posts, and your reactions to them, I'm actually concerned for you as a fellow human being. You seem to be seeking validation in others here, but then preying on their weaknesses, knowledge, or shortcomings if they don't somehow meet your level of musical expertise.

After sharing a few emails with you regarding the old Space Moon playlists, I sensed your genuine passion for the songs, creating themes, and so on. The key for you now, is to find that theme in your own life, where you aren't attention-seeking, or judgmental of others' tastes. You seem to have a big heart underneath it all. Perhaps you have a fear of not measuring up to your OWN expectations, and that's normal. To project that to others, to the point where you insult them, is not.

Good luck in finding yourself...and being true to yourself. I have faith that you can do it. :up:

Thanks. I appreciate the concern. I am trying to be a better human being. :)

Yeah, I don't understand what makes prog rock so masculine. Hell, first wave prog had men prancing around in tights, blowing on pan flutes. Good Lord.

:laugh: Exactly.

Though, first wave prog had Jon Anderson. It didn't NEED women.

You may not feel you insulted him, and in light of your explanation I see where you're coming from, but I think in cases like this, the feeling of the recipient trumps the intent. You didn't deliberately insult him, but you accidentally did, and I hope you're man enough to acknowledge that.

And I don't think it's fair to single him out. Hell, every time I go on one of my music binges, I feel like I'm discovering music all over again. I don't know if I could ever reach a point where I would consider myself any more than a musical n00b.

Well I apologize to Pfan.

I am actually sort of jealous of Pfan in a way because he is discovering so much wonderful music for the first time. I think we would all love to relive hearing certain albums for the first time again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom