Walk the Line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YellowKite

War Child
I am looking forward to this movie as a casual fan of The Man in Black and a fan of Joaquin Pheonix. I haven't heard any scuttlebut on wheter or not Cash fans are impressed with Phoenix's rendering or not.

I am going to try to see it the day it comes out. I love Joaquin Phoenix... I have known about Johnny Cash since I was a kid and my Mother would rave about him.

I think he and June had a true and real love story, hopefully that will show in the movie.

from msn

There haven't yet been any Mr. Toad sightings, but Joaquin Phoenix appears to be having a ribbit-filled wild ride while stumping for "Walk the Line." The rehabbed actor, who is getting oodles of Oscar buzz for his spot-on performance as Johnny Cash, has been "acting very oddly" during his promotional duties, claims the New York Post.

"It seems like he is on the verge of a nervous breakdown," a source evidently steeped in psychology helpfully diagnoses for the paper.

Talk of trouble began at the film's L.A. premiere Thursday night, when Phoenix felt something funny hoppin' on his noggin during an interview with the Associated Press.

"Do I have a large frog in my hair?" he asked the reporter, who assured him his coif was amphibian-free. "Something's crawling out of my scalp," the star explained.

Despite the journalist's assertion that he "looked great," Joaquin wasn't convinced: "No, but I feel it. I'm not worried about the looks. I'm worried about the sensation of my brain being eaten ... What did you ask me?"

Phoenix then turned to his publicist, whispered something and they both laughed, leading the reporter to conclude the actor was "just messing with" him, a sentiment echoed by the rep.

"I think a fly flew on his head," his spokeswoman clarifies to the Post. "I was standing right there and was laughing with him. He then went right back to the press line. He's doing interviews every damn day. And no, he's not having a nervous breakdown and is still sober. He's fantastic."

And what about reports that a fed-up Phoenix bailed out of some interview sessions last week, supposedly stating, "I can't do this" (co-star Reese Witherspoon, meanwhile, is said to have made it through her sit-downs despite a bout of sinusitis)?

"He was done and didn't want to do any more," says his mouthpiece. "I can't blame him -- he has been working like crazy. He has never done this much press."

the commercials i've seen and the preview thingy CMT did make it look like i really don't want to see this movie :| there's something that really bothered me about watching joaquim phoenix say "i'm johnny cash." really? you look/sound a lot more like elvis, to me.

from pop candy

"The lowdown on 'Line'

Last night I saw a screening of Walk the Line, and I'm happy to report it's worth the price of admission. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon surpassed my expectations as Johnny and June Carter Cash, and the film manages to be entertaining, smart and true -- three qualities that rarely co-exist in one movie.

Unexpected pleasures included newcomer Waylon Payne's amusing performance as Jerry Lee Lewis and Phoenix's singing voice, which isn't as deep as Cash's (whose is?) but got my toes tapping nonetheless. I moved my feet so frequently during the movie, in fact, that they were kind of sore during the ride home.

As for Phoenix's Oscar chances, I expect he'll be nominated, but I'm unsure whether Jamie Foxx's win last year will handicap him. Cash and Ray Charles may have left two different legacies, but both musicians struggled with drugs and women, and in the eyes of Oscar voters, that may be reason enough to pick someone else.

Aside from Line's length (the 136 minutes could've been trimmed), my only big complaint about the flick involves its use of the title song. Walk the Line manages to omit my favorite line from, well, Walk the Line: "I find it very, very easy to be true." Something about those words makes me sigh every time I hear them. Of course, between Joaquin's sexy stare and Cash's thumping basslines, I suppose I was already sighing enough."

Rolling Stone review

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews...ereviews&rnd=1132151747312&has-player=unknown

Last edited:
elevation2u said:
except their daughter, who complained saying they made her mom, June, look unsupportive and bitchy. She did at least praise the actors for their performances...

I thought it was the daughter of Johnny's first wife (don't know her name, sorry) that was complaining about the way her mother was portrayed, not June.

Or is there another daughter complaining?

Regardless, I think this will be one of the few movies I'll get off my ass and actually go see in the theater.

no it's not June

Kathy Cash, one of Johnny Cash's five children, was so upset about how her mother is portrayed in the upcoming movie "Walk the Line" that she walked out of a family-only screening — five times.

She thinks the movie, which opens nationwide Nov. 18, is good and that performances by Joaquin Phoenix as her dad and Reese Witherspoon as her stepmother, June Carter Cash, are Oscar-worthy.

But she also said the film unfairly shows her mother, Vivian Liberto Distin, Johnny Cash's first wife, as a shrew. Actress Ginnifer Goodwin plays her in the movie.

"My mom was basically a nonentity in the entire film except for the mad little psycho who hated his career. That's not true. She loved his career and was proud of him until he started taking drugs and stopped coming home," Kathy Cash said.

Vivian Liberto Distin died earlier this year as a result of complications from lung cancer. She and Cash were married 13 years and had four children together. He pledged to remain faithful to her in his song "I Walk the Line."

Kathy Cash also said the movie fails to include any meaningful scenes with the children or show the pain she and her three sisters endured during their father's fight with drugs and their parents' divorce. She says it portrays Johnny Cash's father too negatively.

"Anyone who wants a good sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll movie is gonna love it," she said. "I'm anticipating dyed-in-the-wool fans objecting to a lot of stuff."

John Carter Cash — Johnny and June's only child together and an executive producer for "Walk the Line" — says his half-sister's criticisms have merit. But he says it's OK to take some license and that, in the bigger picture, the movie succeeds in telling his parents' love story.

"I'm compassionately understanding," he said, adding, "the point of the film is my parents' love affair."

I really liked it. I was surprised in truth. Reese Witherspoon blew me away, and Joaquin Phoenix I pretty much expected to be good. ANd yes, Jerry Lee Lewis was freakin' perfect. As for Vivian's portrayal - I don't think it was nearly that negative at all. Johnny was being a bit of a bastard at that time himself.

I loved it. I thought Joaquin was mesmerizing, and not just because of his looks. I couldn't take my eyes off him, and I didn't find myself comparing him to Johnny. I thought about Johnny so much, but not in that way. Their chemistry was so real it was almost scary. Reese was so appealing and real as June too.

I thought they did an excellent job w/ the singing as well,you realize how ridiculous it would have been if they had lip synched.

Fine tribute to Johnny Cash and to their love story, a real love story that Hollywood actually did justice to.

My only complaint-I thought the Elvis was pretty lame

saw it yesterday, and while it's very Hollywood or Oscar winning cliche'...
it is I must say, a nice and dandy film, the performances are superb even Reeese's which was the most surprising. Phoenix like usual gives his all in a minimizing way that exceeds, you can tell it was them singing instead of an actual Cash backdrop and I'm still deciding whether this was a good or bad thing.

I wouldnt say this is the greatest film ever, but it is, nonetheless, a good film.

i saw it and agree it is a very good film. but johnny cash definitely came off as a real asshole. maybe he was :shrug:

it would be interesting to see a film about the next 35 years of his life because this one ended just about when he got his act together. and i think it did portray his first marriage in a very thin way. if he had 4 kids with the woman i would think there was some love in that relationship, but it was not evident in this film.

caragriff said:
i saw it and agree it is a very good film. but johnny cash definitely came off as a real asshole. maybe he was :shrug:

it would be interesting to see a film about the next 35 years of his life because this one ended just about when he got his act together. and i think it did portray his first marriage in a very thin way. if he had 4 kids with the woman i would think there was some love in that relationship, but it was not evident in this film.

I don't think he came across as an asshole, but more as someone who fell in love with someone who was not compatible with his lifestyle and therefore neither knew how to cope. Through in the addiction, and it's a recipe for disaster. June was a much better match for him, having been on the road her whole life and so on. And as far as getting his act together... well, it was the first of many times Johnny got his act together. I read a review somewhere that said that this was the first music biopic to justify a sequel.

Just got back from seeing it. They should just give Joaquin the Oscar now. Everyone in it was great. I loved seeing Shelby Lynne as his mom ... she's a great musician, nice to see her in a flick.

Back
Top Bottom