Vogan, Togo Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Liam, sorry to hear it buddy. :hug:

I've always had qualms with the various laws that restrict the import or consumption of alcohol on Aboriginal lands. And this? Wow, Ceduna. If it's a decision taken freely by elders, then that makes it a bit more awkward, but I must admit I have a hard time believing elders would unanimously reach such a decision without external coercion. Yes, we all know that alcohol has a greater negative impact on Aboriginal people than white people, but restricting its sale is - as you say - blatantly racist bullshit and doesn't actually DO anything about alcohol abuse amongst the Aboriginal population. EDUCATION does that.

And white Australia needs to stop pretending it's oh-so-more responsible with alcohol than the Aboriginal population.

No kidding. If they're doing this, why not also restrict alcohol purchases in bogan suburbs? Why not do it all over rural Australia? I'm very surprised the Elders thought it was a good decision, because it's half a band-aid over an amputation.

By the way, Alison just saw a poster in the city advertising this very respectable beverage: Mountain Goat Beer�|�Handcrafted Australian Ales

I've had those before, they're pretty easy to find. They're alright, I'm surprised you haven't heard of them earlier since they're Victorian. I think it was the Hightail Ale I liked the most.

Imo though, Victoria, for the large amount of microbreweries it has, still doesn't produce as many really good beers as NSW, SA and WA.

Hey Liam, sorry to hear it buddy. :hug:

x2 to Liam. Anything we can do, just say.

No kidding. If they're doing this, why not also restrict alcohol purchases in bogan suburbs? Why not do it all over rural Australia? I'm very surprised the Elders thought it was a good decision, because it's half a band-aid over an amputation.

We need to restrict alcohol in Frankston long before fucking Ceduna. This is just moronic, but it really does go with a long tradition in this country of absolutely bullshit race-based laws.

And like I said, I very, very much doubt the elders did this entirely of their own volition. They're not stupid, they've got to know this won't solve any problem in their community whatsoever.

I've had those before, they're pretty easy to find. They're alright, I'm surprised you haven't heard of them earlier since they're Victorian. I think it was the Hightail Ale I liked the most.

Imo though, Victoria, for the large amount of microbreweries it has, still doesn't produce as many really good beers as NSW, SA and WA.

You say that as if I've actually heard of Victorian microbreweries to begin with. I'm aware there are a good number, but that's truly as far as it goes. I've got to give it a try just for the name.

We need to restrict alcohol in Frankston long before fucking Ceduna. This is just moronic, but it really does go with a long tradition in this country of absolutely bullshit race-based laws.

And like I said, I very, very much doubt the elders did this entirely of their own volition. They're not stupid, they've got to know this won't solve any problem in their community whatsoever.

Yeah, you think the past is over and we're getting somewhere, but when it comes down to it, white people are still telling black people what to do.

On the news, there was footage of one elder and about three white guys that look like they spend all their time in offices trying to justify the laws. So, I think you're most likely right there.

You say that as if I've actually heard of Victorian microbreweries to begin with. I'm aware there are a good number, but that's truly as far as it goes. I've got to give it a try just for the name.

I just saw that they've replaced their Pale Ale with a Steam Ale for Summer. I'll have to try that out.

And yeah, have a look for it. That Essendon bottle-o will surely have a few of their products, I reckon.

Yeah, you think the past is over and we're getting somewhere, but when it comes down to it, white people are still telling black people what to do.

On the news, there was footage of one elder and about three white guys that look like they spend all their time in offices trying to justify the laws. So, I think you're most likely right there.

I have to wonder what it's going to take for that to change.

Ten bucks says that the elders were "advised" to take this step, and that the decision would be "met" with funding for the community. In other words, do what the white people say or you get to be even more destitute. Class act!

So anyone got any ideas of how to raise tax revenue and save an economy at the same time? :lol: It's impossible to do both in the short term

Good stuff.

And $30 instead of $20! Buying a few RH tracks to start proceedings (Planet Telex and Subterranean Homesick Alien).

Still not sure if I should wait for the UF remaster to get the UF tracks.

I'd suggest you wait and get the UF and WAIA tracks on the UF remaster if you can, and get some other U2 stuff you don't already have.

That's a good idea, although it will be hard for me to still have money at the time the remaster is released!

Two songs is enough for tonight, shall buy The Wanderer tomorrow. I was even thinking of purchasing a few Coldplay songs, I mean early Coldplay songs from Parachutes and Rush of Blood.

The Wanderer? Excellent choice.

As far as early Coldplay goes, I have no strong feelings on their more uptempo tracks (speaking relatively) - they're generally pretty inoffensive. I've always disliked their slow songs and ballads. I'm kind of amused that such a middling band generates such strong emotions in some people ... but then I also partake in some of the joking because they lend themselves to humour so readily sometimes (or in the case of "Chris Martin invented the piano", it's more the general public who provide a handy joke).

The Wanderer? Excellent choice.

As far as early Coldplay goes, I have no strong feelings on their more uptempo tracks (speaking relatively) - they're generally pretty inoffensive. I've always disliked their slow songs and ballads. I'm kind of amused that such a middling band generates such strong emotions in some people ... but then I also partake in some of the joking because they lend themselves to humour so readily sometimes (or in the case of "Chris Martin invented the piano", it's more the general public who provide a handy joke).

The Wanderer is the only Zooropa song that I don't have yet, if I get it, i'll have a full album.

If any Coldplay I do think Parachutes and Rush of Blood to the Head are two pretty damn good albums, the former had originality. But from then on Coldplay kept on losing that originality, although ROBTTH is still a fine album. X&Y and VLV are just :faint:, not in a good way either.

Ah, cool. I tend to think The Wanderer is the second or third best track on Zooropa. The title track is first, then depending on my mood, Stay is second or third. Though Dirty Day would be second if only the studio version were as good as the live version.

Some of Coldplay's recent stuff is just laughable ...

My Zooropa Top 3:
1. Stay
2. Lemon
3. Zooropa

The song "Viva La Vida" is probably one of the most lamest things I have ever heard, as is "The Hardest Part". Feel free to add more Coldplay musical blunders of the past few years.

I still think the worst Coldplay song is that stupid God Put A Smile On Your Face track.

Oh wait, no, Fix You. Especially since Chris Martin sings it live as if it's the most meaningful thing he could possibly convey to the poor, unfortunate audience.

Really? I would rate GPASUYF as one of my most preferred Coldplay songs, along with "In My Place".

Chris Martin tried too hard during Sound Relief when he went for a Bono-esque run through the stadium during Fix You, I really think it looked obnoxious and forced when you're not a professional.

I also laugh at the fact they think Viva la Vida is their Unforgettable Fire, and it is their 4th album too.

Funny Alison should show right now ... we just about died when John Farnham appeared with Coldplay at Sound Relief. Fucking classic. :lmao:

What an unlikely combination, can imagine Chris Martin giving himself a comb over and singing "Your the Voice" to the bewildered crowd. :wink:

If you remember, it was done at the Sydney gig - we were at the Melbourne one and it was broadcast on the big screen between sets. The crowd at the MCG sung so loudly that we barely heard a syllable uttered by Farnham or Martin!

Really? I would rate GPASUYF as one of my most preferred Coldplay songs, along with "In My Place".

Chris Martin tried too hard during Sound Relief when he went for a Bono-esque run through the stadium during Fix You, I really think it looked obnoxious and forced when you're not a professional.

I also laugh at the fact they think Viva la Vida is their Unforgettable Fire, and it is their 4th album too.

Chris Martin may be a codswallop, but I'd say he's a professional at whatever that is. And since when did Bono invent audience interaction, anyway?

I'd personally spend money on songs that aren't by Coldplay, though. Like, um, hangonletmethink

Back
Top Bottom