Vogan, Togo Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have a good one, John, and I'll definitely give your song a whirl!

Oh yeah, Beslan is hard to forget. Both sides have committed heinous atrocities, but I do find much greater fault with the Russians. In the end, clinging to Chechnya is serving precious little purpose and leading to utterly unnecessary and unconscionable bloodshed. I mean, fuck, nothing can justify the way Grozny - not to mention other cities - have been just fucking laid waste.

The short version of the Nagorno-Karabakh dispute is that Nagorno-Karabakh is surrounded entirely by Azerbaijan, but its population is primarily ethnically Armenian. In the 1990s, Armenia invaded Azerbaijan and tried to seize the region by force. There has been an uneasy peace this decade and I think we're a way off a full resolution ...

Groznyy just looks like a pile of crap, unfortunately, poverty -- present and all. Sure Russia has done some forgettable things, but invading Georgia was not one of them, that was warranted in my opinion.

The worst case scenario would be another full on war with American intervention. A similar case of this was South Ossetia and Abkhazia, both formerly located in Georgia but yet ethnically a Russian population.

Groznyy just looks like a pile of crap, unfortunately, poverty -- present and all. Sure Russia has done some forgettable things, but invading Georgia was not one of them, that was warranted in my opinion.

The worst case scenario would be another full on war with American intervention. A similar case of this was South Ossetia and Abkhazia, both formerly located in Georgia but yet ethnically a Russian population.

I tend to be of the opinion that it's near-impossible to justify breaching another country's sovereignty. In the end, the Georgia/Russia squabble seemed to be a hopeless quagmire of accusations and counter-accusations. I couldn't help but feel like Russia was trying to throw its weight around.

That said, I've always advocated Abkhazian independence. I'm not sufficiently familiar with South Ossetia's history to have a strong stance either way. But Georgia clinging to Abkhazia has been like Moldova clinging to Transnistria, Russia clinging to Chechnya, or to go further afield, Somalia clinging to Somaliland - a case of needing to let it go and accept it's gone, because nobody cares how large your country's territorial dick is. As the Simpsons scene goes ...

"It's just a little dirty, it's still good, it's still good! ... It's just a little wet, it's still good, it's still good! ... It's just a little airborne, it's still good, it's still good!"
"Dad, it's gone."
"I know."

I tend to be of the opinion that it's near-impossible to justify breaching another country's sovereignty. In the end, the Georgia/Russia squabble seemed to be a hopeless quagmire of accusations and counter-accusations. I couldn't help but feel like Russia was trying to throw its weight around.

That said, I've always advocated Abkhazian independence. I'm not sufficiently familiar with South Ossetia's history to have a strong stance either way. But Georgia clinging to Abkhazia has been like Moldova clinging to Transnistria, Russia clinging to Chechnya, or to go further afield, Somalia clinging to Somaliland - a case of needing to let it go and accept it's gone, because nobody cares how large your country's territorial dick is. As the Simpsons scene goes ...

"It's just a little dirty, it's still good, it's still good! ... It's just a little wet, it's still good, it's still good! ... It's just a little airborne, it's still good, it's still good!"
"Dad, it's gone."
"I know."

That Simpsons' reference was well used. :lol:

Though it's essential that a country stands on its own two feet without clinging, in the early days of independence in the 90's, Belarus was very close to Russia, now they're drifting further apart as Belarus is growing well itself. However they still remain loyal allies.

Looks like its time for me to sign out, resume the politics talk tomorrow. G'night. :wave:

That Simpsons' reference was well used. :lol:

Though it's essential that a country stands on its own two feet without clinging, in the early days of independence in the 90's, Belarus was very close to Russia, now they're drifting further apart as Belarus is growing well itself. However they still remain loyal allies.

Looks like its time for me to sign out, resume the politics talk tomorrow. G'night. :wave:

You'd be surprised how often the Simpsons get referenced in Political Science classes. :laugh:

Heh, I remember when some people suggested Belarus would re-unite with Russia. As if.

Some cursory reading to complement my existing knowledge of South Ossetia indicates to me that the reasons I advance for supporting Abkhazian independence largely hold for South Ossetia too, at the theoretical level. But independence would be awkward, given the Georgian population that naturally opposes independence, and the simple fact that South Ossetia can in no way support itself independently. It's economically a basketcase.

Have a good night. Think I'm out too. :wave:

Looks like it's already late there!

I'm just waiting for today's U2 concert to start. Looks like Muse have just begun.

I've decided I want to make a Best Of Muse tracklist for myself, since I find I'm never able to listen to any of their albums in full. Now it's just a matter of listening to stuff and deciding what makes the cut!

I've decided I want to make a Best Of Muse tracklist for myself, since I find I'm never able to listen to any of their albums in full. Now it's just a matter of listening to stuff and deciding what makes the cut!

Sounds fun

I might be buying the album tomorrow, then hanging around with my bandmate, no plans to record but who knows

I'm trying to cut it down to an 80 minute disc ... got to remove about 15 minutes. Feel like I should cut something from Absolution or Origin Of Symmetry as they both have six songs (seven for the former before I cut Sing For Absolution), but then they've got so many songs because they're quality albums in the first place.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure there's enough material to do a 2 disc Best Of without having some slightly weaker filler to round it out.

Then again, it's just for my personal listening, and what do I care if a song isn't quite another Newborn as long as I enjoy it?

I do like to try to make these things compact ... I made a 2 disc Best Of REM kind of thing, and I increasingly think of compressing it to 1 disc. I tend to skip around a little anyway and only play about enough for 1 disc ... but then most of that skipping is usually based on just what exactly I'm looking for from REM on a particular day. One day I may want stuff more like What's The Frequency Kenneth and the next I might want Murmur in its entirety, you know?

Good morning guys! :wave:

Ready for another setlist party.

You'd be surprised how often the Simpsons get referenced in Political Science classes. :laugh:

Heh, I remember when some people suggested Belarus would re-unite with Russia. As if.

Some cursory reading to complement my existing knowledge of South Ossetia indicates to me that the reasons I advance for supporting Abkhazian independence largely hold for South Ossetia too, at the theoretical level. But independence would be awkward, given the Georgian population that naturally opposes independence, and the simple fact that South Ossetia can in no way support itself independently. It's economically a basketcase.

Re-unite with Russia? That is garbage, if they did I would single handedly start a riot in Minsk.

Re-unite with Russia? That is garbage, if they did I would single handedly start a riot in Minsk.

It seemed to be a popular theory amongst your usual anti-Russia/anti-Belarus paranoia types about a decade ago. I'm surprised anybody took it seriously.

Not too bad, watching the hockey game and waiting for the setlist party. Nloth return I hope

How are you folks doing?

I'm not too bad myself. I think it's safe to hope for NLOTH's return today ... not feeling so confident about Unknown Caller though.

Haha what the fuck.

Though actually, if you listen to Lovetown bootlegs, you'll catch Bono playing rather decent rhythm on All I Want Is You, and occasionally even soloing at the end (30 December 1989 is a good example).

The idea of Bono playing guitar scares me greatly...

Did you guys see the new article on Songs of Ascent? :sad:

More like Bono being all "We need singles!" gah just make good music

And I must leave you all for hopefully 6 hours of sleep :wave:

Back
Top Bottom