Vitalogy could be an amazing EP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The OOTS said:

PJ was performing songs from Vitalogy during their tour in early 94, before Cobain died(April 8th??)...and before the album was released. Most of the songs were written and being played live. In fact, Immortality was performed on April 12th of 94...days after the suicide. Vedder has said that Immortality lyrics were not inspired by Cobain, although the lyrics could eerily be about him.

That may be so, but the lyrics changed between the times they debuted the song and when it was finished.

Vedder has said that he didn't want to appear to be exploiting Kurt's death for his own gain, so it's doubtful he would admit if there was a stronger influence. Regardless, it's clear that some of the lines in Immortality are referring to Cobain, or someone exactly like him. The "vessel stabbed", "cigar box"...it's just too coincidental.

This is the writing I mentioned before, which is found on a different page in the booklet:

"I waited all day.
you waited all day..
but you left before the sunset..

and I just wanted to tell you
the moment was beautiful.
Just wanted to dance to bad music
drive bad cars..
watch bad TV..

should have stayed for the sunset...
if not for me."

I remember reading somewhere that this WAS something directed at Kurt, and how he just wanted to spend some "normal" time with the guy despite the rumored feud between the two of them.

Also, there's no way in hell that Stupid Mop was finished the way it appears on the album before the suicide. I just can't believe that. I'm also curious to know when the concept and art was decided upon.

lazarus said:

Vedder has said that he didn't want to appear to be exploiting Kurt's death for his own gain, so it's doubtful he would admit if there was a stronger influence. Regardless, it's clear that some of the lines in Immortality are referring to Cobain, or someone exactly like him. The "vessel stabbed", "cigar box"...it's just too coincidental.

I agree with you, I was just pointing out the song existed well before Cobain died, so it wasn't originally intended to be about/for him. The lyrics were changed when the song was finally recorded, and the references to him are clear, but it wasn't written or inspred by his death.

I don't know about Stupid Mop...:shrug:

Last edited:
Okay, so I listened to the experimental side of the album again after quite a while and I actually... don't mind it so much! maybe all except for Stupid Mop and Pry To which is short anyway.

I just wish the grunge scene had remained active throughout the 90s, so we would have had many more albums that sounded like Ten, Nevermind, Superunknown, Core and Dirt.

Back
Top Bottom