Vertigo SUCKS!!! What do you think are the worst songs ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I wanna know is how you all know these horrid songs in the first place? Well? :eyebrow:

:wink:

MrBrau1 said:

True. If it was a burried album cut and not a single, it would be a cult classic ala Acrobat, Crumbs, and Gone.

But it's the "popular" song. So hipsters have to hate it.

are you serious?

people, come on. it's elevation with SLIGHTLY better lyrics.

i'm not a hipster, but i still think it sucks. and i don't particularly like acrobat, or crumbs either.

Last edited:
Axver said:
I think I'd rather be beaten around the head with a flagpole.

Heh. Told ya it was bad.

indra, to answer your question, when my family was living in Nebraska, my dad took a job at a country station there (there really weren't many other options for stations in the town we lived in). Therefore, he had to play that song. Therefore, I heard it.

Also, I like "Vertigo". It's just a fun rock song.

Angela

I'd like to put a boot in toby keith's ass for writing that embarressing song.

not all americans feel that way.

Zoomerang96 said:

are you serious?

i'm not a hipster, but i still think it sucks. and i don't particularly like acrobat, or crumbs either.

Yes, I'm serious. And Acrobat and Crumbs are top 10 U2 song to my ears.

Different strokes as they say.

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:

indra, to answer your question, when my family was living in Nebraska, my dad took a job at a country station there (there really weren't many other options for stations in the town we lived in). Therefore, he had to play that song. Therefore, I heard it.

Angela

Oh, you poor child! :(

One thing country music does have going for it (at least the older stuff) is some of the most frickin' hilarious song titles. :yes:

Years ago the place where I worked had country music on the radio all day long. :mad: There were times I wanted to take a sledgehammer to the radio.

As bad as "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue" is, "La-La" by Ashee Simpson might be even more annoying because it is being used in a shampoo commercial, so I can just be innocently watching TV when all of a sudden I will be assaulted by it. Just the short snippet of it they use is enough to make me homicidal.

:hug:s Bono's shades.

indra said:

Yeah... Thankfully, the station my dad works at now is a rock one, so I don't have to put up with that song anymore.

I'd like to put a boot in toby keith's ass for writing that embarressing song.

LOL, not a bad idea...:hmm:...

Originally posted by JOFO
not all americans feel that way.

Thank god...

Also, yes, "LaLa is a stupid song, too. Ashlee Simpson's music in general is just not good (wants to kill whomever had the oh-so-brilliant idea to put "Pieces Of Me" on the radio and get it to where people were playing it over and over and over and over and over and over...:crack:...).

Angela

"What If" by Coldplay is one of the most atrocious songs I've ever heard, lyrically and sonically, and I'm a semi-Coldplay fan

"Incomplete" by the Backstreet Boys is so obnoxious, and the nasal, fakeass delivery adds on to that ten-fold.

LemonMacPhisto said:

"Incomplete" by the Backstreet Boys is so obnoxious, and the nasal, fakeass delivery adds on to that ten-fold.

I don't know. For once, the Backstreet Boys seem to be making some serious music. Incomplete is actually not that bad. Nothing special but definitely better than the 'you are the fire, my one desire' crap!

Zoomerang96 said:

are you serious?

come on caisenma, i've seen you say this several times now. vertigo is FAR superior to elevation...in almost every aspect. when you put vertigo into its context with the biblical elements i think that its message, mood, and execution far excedes that of a mole digging in a hole can't sing but i've got soul el-eh-vay-shun.

La La definitely makes me want to shove a fork in my brain.

Se7en said:

come on caisenma, i've seen you say this several times now. vertigo is FAR superior to elevation...in almost every aspect. when you put vertigo into its context with the biblical elements i think that its message, mood, and execution far excedes that of a mole digging in a hole can't sing but i've got soul el-eh-vay-shun.

you know, i could agree with this if i never heard 'native son'.

native son was great, granted it needed some polishing up in certain areas, but it was a great rock song that actually wasn't dumb either.

how many catchy rock singles can actually claim that?

but it wouldn't topped the charts, they felt. really a shame they had to dumb it down, in my opinion.

but whatever. vertigo is far from the worst song out there, and the only reason i talked about it in the first place is because the author did.

what's this toby keith song all about? i know nothing by him, but isn't he some redneck?

indra said:

One thing country music does have going for it (at least the older stuff) is some of the most frickin' hilarious song titles. :yes:

Are we talking about these:

1. Get Your Biscuits In The Oven And Your Buns In Bed
2. Get Your Tongue Otta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye
3. Her Teeth Was Stained, But Her Heart Was Pure
4. How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?
5. I Can't Get Over You, So Why Don't You Get Under Me
6. I Don't Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling
7. I Got In At 2 With a 10, And Woke Up At 10 With a 2.
8. I Hate Every Bone In Your Body Except For Mine
9. I Just Bought A Car From A Guy That Stole My Girl, But The Car
Don't Run, So I figure We Got An Even Deal
10. I Keep Forgettin' I Forgot About You
11. I Liked You Better Before I Knew You So Well
12. I Still Miss You Baby, But My Aim's Gettin' Better
13. I Wouldn't Take Her To A Dog Fight, Cause I'm Afraid She'd Win
14. I'll Marry You Tomorrow But Let's Honeymoon Tonight
15. I'm So miserable Without You, It's Like Having You Here
16. I've Got Tears in My Ears From Lying On My Back While I Cry Over you
17. If I Can't Be Number One In Your Life, Then Number Two On You
18. If I Had Shot You When I Wanted To, I'd Be Out By Now
19. Mama Get A Hammer (There's A Fly On Papa's Head)
20. My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, And I Love Rovers
21. My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, and I Sure Do Miss Him
22. Please Bypass this Heart
23. She Got The Ring and I Got The Finger
24. You're the Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly

I feel like my IQ has plummetted......:huh:

Zoomerang96 said:
but it wouldn't topped the charts, they felt. really a shame they had to dumb it down, in my opinion.

i'm not even sure why they bother to try and top american radio charts anymore. i know they wanted to compete with britney spears and shit but they just can't and that's the way it is.

what's this toby keith song all about? i know nothing by him, but isn't he some redneck?

it's probably better that you don't know of him. he's written several highly "patriotic" songs since 9/11 and whatnot. look up lyrics for "the taliban song" or "the angry american" if you want to see some of his stuff. i've heard that "the taliban song" is in jest, but even still i don't really think it's in good taste. i saw a girl practically get boo-ed off of a karaoke stage here in philly for singing it. i laughed.

On the top of my head I can list the following.

1. Sex and Candy by Marcy's Playground
2. Any song by bowling for soup.

I like "Sex And Candy". And I also noticed "Elevation" mentioned in here...I like that one, too.

blueeyedgirl said:
4. How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?
7. I Got In At 2 With a 10, And Woke Up At 10 With a 2.
8. I Hate Every Bone In Your Body Except For Mine
9. I Just Bought A Car From A Guy That Stole My Girl, But The Car
Don't Run, So I figure We Got An Even Deal
13. I Wouldn't Take Her To A Dog Fight, Cause I'm Afraid She'd Win
21. My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, and I Sure Do Miss Him
24. You're the Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly

:laugh:...

Angela

Zootlesque said:

I don't know. For once, the Backstreet Boys seem to be making some serious music. Incomplete is actually not that bad. Nothing special but definitely better than the 'you are the fire, my one desire' crap!

zooty? are you ok?

That's their new song, right? I think I heard it once and it was like the most boring thing ever (yes, even more boring than 'Fix You,' this year's candidate for "most overrated song ever" [since ever is really only about a year])

Hoobastank is worse than any of these though. And Creed might even be worse!

Coldplay's Fix You is easily one of the stupidest songs I've ever heard.

I agree with however said Vertigo is overrated.

And without even looking through the entire thread I can guess with 95% certainty that one or two people dared to suggest that Vertigo doesn't deserve all the praise it's gotten, only to be roundly assailed by the types who if Bono released an album consisting of his youngest son playing the spoons, would proclaim it was a masterpiece.

That's not to say Vertigo is a bad song. It's actually ok, it just doesn't deserve the adulation it gets on here, or in the music press either, for that matter.

That's my pennysworth, take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom