Velvet Underground/Lou Reed thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Someone had to start this. :wink: I am not a big fan of VU or Reed solo, but I am a huge admirer of their work. I think they were a fascinating group; their 1969 self titled was a GREAT album, the debut had some great songs on it as well...I would consider Heroin to be one of the most affecting songs of all time. :(

So, go at it.

Me too. I can only listen to them in small doses (although I like most of their debut album and "Loaded"), but I have a lot of respect and admiration for what they did.

Rock and Roll is one of my all-time favorite songs. And hey, how cool are women drummers?

It's all about White Light / White Heat guys. :drool:

Bands like The Strokes and The White Stripes remind me of the awesomeness of The Underground.

Stephanie Says :drool:

The Velvet Underground are amazing. They're my dad's favourite band, so I pretty much grew up listening to them. What Goes On was the first song I learned to play on guitar.

I agree that their third album (the self-titled one) was their best, and their debut was probably the second best, complete with the Andy Warhol cover :D Heroin is indeed an amazing song. Running to Stand Still is very similar to it, so similiar that i'd expect Bono to snippet it...

White Light/White Heat is a little too "raw" for me I guess, and I'm not into the 10 minute songs. but the story behind it is fascinating, if it's true. they supposedly recorded the whole thing in one day or something ridiculous like that. it's definitely a cool record, just not my personal favourite.

Rock and Roll Animal is great. Lou Reed in his live prime and his backing band never sounded better. Sweet Janeeeeeeeeeeee.

AtomicBono said:
White Light/White Heat is a little too "raw" for me I guess, and I'm not into the 10 minute songs. but the story behind it is fascinating, if it's true. they supposedly recorded the whole thing in one day or something ridiculous like that. it's definitely a cool record, just not my personal favourite.

White Light/White Heat is one of the five greatest albums in 20th Century composition. However, you're confusing The Velvet Underground & Nico with "Sister Ray," the best song the Velvets ever recorded (but only one of the tracks on White Light/White Heat, an album which, if memory serves, was recorded over at least a few weeks).

At any rate, "Sister Ray" was recorded in a single take without any post-production whatsoever and without any studio rehearsals, whereas The Velvet Underground & Nico (the entire LP) was recorded in 8 hours after extensive rehearsals both with and without Nico and Mo Tucker.

In other news, The Velvet Underground is pretty much the best band in history. Giddyup.

Back
Top Bottom