Van Halen tour in 2007?! Roth singing, Wolfgang on Bass?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maoilbheannacht

Refugee
Van Halen Exclusive: Summer Tour A Go!
November 7th, 2006

Van Halen Exclusive: Summer Tour A Go!
Posted by frankmeyer - Monday, November 06, 2006 4:46 PM

Last week, TheFeed ran a story about how Eddie Van Halen's spokesperson Janie Liszewski told TMZ.com that his son Wolfgang was officially the new bassist in Van Halen. Well, now TheFeed can confirm he's in the band via our own correspondence with Liszewski, as well as the fact that there will be a summer 2007 tour!

"Yes, I can confirm this story in the respect of Wolfgang being the new bass player for the band and yes he has been in the studio with his dad and uncle rehearsing and writing for an upcoming summer 2007 tour," Liszewski exclusively told TheFeed. "Wolfgang most certainly has inherited the Van Halen musical genius gene. At 15 years of age his knowledge, understanding, skill, and command of multiple instruments is impressive."

When asked about the rumor that the Van Halen boys will enlist original VH singer David Lee Roth for this tour, Liszewski said, "There has been no confirmation that David Lee Roth will be touring this coming summer."

She also confirmed what Eddie announced on Howard Stern last month, that Michael Anthony is definitely no longer in Van Halen.

So let's recap: We know that Eddie and brother Alex are rehearsing with Wolfgang on bass. We know that there will be a tour this summer. We don't know who will sing for the band yet, but we know Eddie is open to working with Roth (he said so on Stern) and that no one is denying that Diamond Dave could be the frontman. Hmmmm...interesting.

http://www.vhnd.com/articles/061107-03.shtml

There's nothing like having your 15 year old son play bass in your band.

Eddie Van Halen spoke to Guitar World magazine about the current status of VAN HALEN following the departures of vocalist Sammy Hagar and bassist Michael Anthony.

Rumors continue to swirl that original singer David Lee Roth, who was replaced by Hagar in the mid-1980s, will return to the fold, despite years of enmity. Roth, who has recently worked as a radio DJ and a paramedic, told Billboard.com in May that he saw it "absolutely as an inevitability."

"I'm telling Dave, 'Dude, get your ass up here and sing, bitch! Come on!'" Eddie told Guitar World. "As it stands right now, the ball is in Dave's court. Whether he wants to rise to the ocassion is entirely up to him, but we're ready to go."

Eddie has brought his 15-year-old son, Wolfgang, into VAN HALEN as the veteran rock band's new bass player. Father and son, along with Eddie's drummer brother Alex, have been rehearsing for a 2007 tour.

"Wolfgang breathes new life into what we're doing," said Eddie. "He brings youthfulness to something that's inherently youthful. He's only been playing bass for three months, but it's spooky. He's locked tight and puts an incredible spin on our shit. The kid is kicking my ass! He's spanking me now, even though I never spanked him. To have my son follow in my footsteps on his own, without me pushing him into it, is the greatest feeling in the world."

LemonMacPhisto said:
There's nothing like having your 15 year old son play bass in your band.

I wonder if it's a trend. Roger Waters has had his son Harry play keyboards for a few years on tour. I saw Wolfgang play a couple of years ago at a Van Halen show. I wasn't too impressed then - maybe he's improved a lot since then.

ntalwar said:

I wonder if it's a trend. Roger Waters has had his son Harry play keyboards for a few years on tour. I saw Wolfgang play a couple of years ago at a Van Halen show. I wasn't too impressed then - maybe he's improved a lot since then.

But Roger Waters is the man.

Eddie's gone a bit cuckoo.

LemonMacPhisto said:

But Roger Waters is the man.

Eddie's gone a bit cuckoo.

Yeah. Not to mention that Harry Waters is a grown man (he's what, about 30?) who has been playing the keyboard for a hell of a lot longer than three months. He's a professional musician. He's not a fifteen-year-old kid who has only just started learning how to play his instrument! I mean my god, that's so unprofessional of Eddie Van Halen it's not even funny.

BrownEyedBoy said:
The kid was playing guitar for much more than 3 months.

Bass is a whole different monster, granted, but EVH is a god and he can pull it off.

True - and it is a lot easier for guitarists to make the transition to bass - but I'd still be a bit wary. A kid who has been playing the bass for three months likely won't be even a fraction as good as a seasoned bass player. And I wouldn't take Eddie Van Halen's word for it, as he's biased.

Just have to wait for the concert reviews.

I was SUCH a big Van Halen fan when I was younger, and finally saw them live about 8 years ago, I can't remember the name of the guy who was lead singer then tho...had long dark hair.
However, I think they are hanging on to the past a little too much (well, Eddie is anyhow)...when the only bass player you can get is your 15 year old son, it might be time to say 'enough is enough' and let the band die a graceful death.:|

I saw them live 4 times in 2004 when Sammy was the lead and thought it was awesome (I didn't even realize what a fan I was of the music until I went to these shows). I can't stand David Lee Roth. they should just let this band go, there's too much politics involved at this point.

mandy1973 said:
I was SUCH a big Van Halen fan when I was younger, and finally saw them live about 8 years ago, I can't remember the name of the guy who was lead singer then tho...had long dark hair.
However, I think they are hanging on to the past a little too much (well, Eddie is anyhow)...when the only bass player you can get is your 15 year old son, it might be time to say 'enough is enough' and let the band die a graceful death.:|

Gary Cherrone?

Believe me, it scares me too that I know this.

I agree with coemgen - hype is the only thing VH has at this point anymore.

Roth set to rejoin Van Halen for tour

A Van Halen tour with David Lee Roth could launch in Las Vegas.

A Van Halen reunion tour, with David Lee Roth back in the fold after 22 years, is in the works, with a Las Vegas launch looking good.

A late April date at the Palms' new venue, The Pearl, is "99 percent" likely, a source said.

It would be the latest coup for Palms owner George Maloof, who will open the 2,500-seat venue with a lineup that includes Tool, Evanescence, Gwen Stefani and possibly Van Halen, all in the first month.

A 40-date tour is being discussed.

Roth fronted the band from 1974 to 1985 before going solo. He was close to rejoining about 11 years ago, but a blowup caused another rift.

Van Halen's last tour, in 2004, grossed about $40 million, with Sammy Hagar as the lead.

Tool would open the Palms venue March 16-17, Evanescence would follow on March 17, and Stefani is set for the April 21 grand opening.

Back
Top Bottom