Van Halen Returns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate Dogg

Refugee
I Can't believe it....apparently the brothers Van Halen have mended fences with a former singer (it's still a secret as to which one...the money's on Sammy Hagar). They have announced tour cities(no dates yet) for the summer. Apparently the band is recording new songs for a greatest hits disc..so they will most likely tour to support that. There's a link on WWW.MTVNEWS.COM for those who are interested.

I saw the original Van Halen in concert a long long long time ago. Even toough I was very drunk I remember this: at one point Eddie Van Halen threw one of his hand made guitars into the crowd and several road crew types dove into the crowd to get it back.

I actually saw Diamond Dave and Sammy Hagar on tour together in 2002. I was blown away by Diamond Dave. It was like Van Halen Circa 1978-1984. He played 19 Van Halen Songs and only one of his solo songs "Yanky Rose". I thought Dave was much better, but of course he was playing better material. I like Sammy Hagar and Vanhagar, but I have always prefered Roth Van Halen to Hagar Van Halen.

Its been 6 years since Van Halen toured with Gary Cherone and its great to see the band become active again, regardless of who the singer is.

fah said:

He has/had cancer somewhere in his mouth or throat. I heard he was still smoking too. Very sad
The last news item on their website prior to the recent tour info was a message from Eddie on 5/15/02 saying he had a clean bill of health head to toe.

STING2 said:
I actually saw Diamond Dave and Sammy Hagar on tour together in 2002. I was blown away by Diamond Dave. It was like Van Halen Circa 1978-1984. He played 19 Van Halen Songs and only one of his solo songs "Yanky Rose". I thought Dave was much better, but of course he was playing better material. I like Sammy Hagar and Vanhagar, but I have always prefered Roth Van Halen to Hagar Van Halen.

Its been 6 years since Van Halen toured with Gary Cherone and its great to see the band become active again, regardless of who the singer is.
I saw the show in Mansfield MA and was incredibly surprised by Dave and his band. They were outstanding (the guitarist was from an L.A. VH cover band called the Atomic Punks), and much better than Sammy's band. My expectations were low, having seen Roth in a club appearance in I think 1995 and he and his band were awful.
That night I saw every member of Van Halen onstage not named "Van Halen" as Michael Anthony joined Sammy for about half the set and Gary Cherone came out during Sammy's encore to duet on a couple of tunes. Interestingly, from a strictly vocal standpoint, Cherone was by far the best singer of the 3 that night.
Looking forward to seeing Eddie again.

I remember Cherone in Extreme, he does have great vocals. Amazing that you actually saw a show with all three Van Halen singers. What did Cherone sing?

It's about time...

newband.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom