V Festival at Pimlico will feature The Police, Pumpkins, Beastie Boys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clifedge

War Child
The Police, Beasties, Pumpkins Set For U.S. Virgin Fest

Billboard
March 22, 2007, 11:00 AM ET

The Police, the Beastie Boys and Smashing Pumpkins will headline the second U.S. Virgin Fest, set for Aug. 4-5 at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Md.

According to producer Seth Hurwitz, the lineup follows a Virgin Fest strategy of "blockbuster" bands. "We only have 12 slots a day on two big stages, and our concept is to fill our slots with the absolute best talent available," Hurwitz tells Billboard.com. "We don't book any 'favor' spots."

Virgin Fest will be running the same weekend at Lollapalooza in Chicago. Last year, V-Fest was in September, but Hurwitz says the date change was made to accommodate the Police tour. "It's not ideal [to be the same weekend as Lollapalooza], but given the choice of booking the Police or not we had to go for it," Hurwitz says. "If anything it's probably helped us because we were able to book some bands that were out already for Lolla. Hopefully both festivals will be strong enough that it doesn't matter."

Hurwitz says the rest of the Virgin Fest lineup will be announced "when it's finished." Lollapalooza tickets go on sale April 3, with the full lineup to be released April 12. Published reports put Pearl Jam on the bill as one of the headliners.

Last year, the U.S. Virgin Fest grossed $3.5 million and drew 34,714 for a one-day event. Lollapalooza grossed nearly $8 million and drew about 201,000 over three days. Bonnaroo is the top-grossing North American festival, taking in $14.7 million and selling more than 80,000 tickets for all three days. The only other festival the Police are playing this summer is Bonnaroo, set for June 14-17 in Manchester, Tenn.

As previously reported, the Pumpkins will also play the Toronto edition of V-Fest, alongside Bjork, the Killers, Interpol and Amy Winehouse. That event will be held Sept. 8-9 on Toronto Island. A May 20 Vancouver version will boast the Killers and My Chemical Romance at Thunderbird Stadium.

...makes me wish I still lived in Maryland

Hmm, Virgin Fest and Lollapalooza on the same weekend...I predict a festival in my future... August sounds good. :wink: Just not sure it'd be Baltimore or Chicago (can't be 105 degs two years in a row on that weekend :ohmy: )...I eagerly await the full lineups of these things. :hyper:

Pop Artist said:
Hmm, Virgin Fest and Lollapalooza on the same weekend...I predict a festival in my future... August sounds good. :wink: Just not sure it'd be Baltimore or Chicago (can't be 105 degs two years in a row on that weekend :ohmy: )...I eagerly await the full lineups of these things. :hyper:

me too!! :hyper: :hyper:

They announced the full line-up for this today, this is quite tempting:

(not totally in order)

August 4:

The Police, Beastie Boys, Modest Mouse, Peter Bjorn and John, Cheap Trick, the Fratellis, Amy Winehouse, Paolo Nutini, Incubus, Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals, TV On The Radio, Fountains Of Wayne, Sasha & John Digweed, Danny Tenaglia, LCD Soundsystem, Booka Shade, Shout Out Out Out Out, Fiction Plane, Felix Da Housecat, Miguel Migs (Petal Pusher), Sander Van Doorn

August 5:

The Smashing Pumpkins, Velvet Revolver, Wu-Tang Clan, the Crystal Method, 311, Chris Cornell, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bad Brains, Matisyahu, Spoon, Deep Dish (Dubfire + Sharam), James Zabiela, M.I.A., CSS, Regina Spektor, Interpol, Infected Mushroom, Dieselboy & Andy C and Girl Talk.

Two day tix are $175, single day $97.50.

:hmm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom