Ushuaia, Argentina Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:tsk: How dare people hav a life when they can be posting in the superthread instead.

I think they'd just rather not post here. Hence the thread sometimes crawling to a stop during my afternoon. Which is a bit of a pain, since that's a good time for me to be posting rather than at 4:30am!

Oh yeah, exactly! The Beach Boys blatantly copied the Four Freshmen, anyway. And the Four Freshmen weren't the most original bunch in the world, either. Group vocals are a basic thing. Do we compare bands with guitarists simply because of that fact? Fleet Foxes may take some Beach Boys ideas (they're certainly fans), but they're not ripping them off.

You must remember that it's only really been this year that I've returned to a U2 fandom. I had a hiatus, and even though I returned to the forum last year I still wasn't doing much in the way of listening to them regularly. So the AB review is just as well a leftover from '05 or earlier, my recollection of the album. Now I'd give it two and a half stars tops.

You must also realise that my reviews are basically jokes anyway.

I think it's a comparison made out of ignorance more than anything. It's like the people here who think U2 invented everything, or the C-Play fans who think Chrissie is the first person to ever incorporate the piano in rock music.

Ahh, right. You know, some of my reviews from 2006 really need a bit in the way of tweaking. Mostly because some expressions are just terrible, or the reviews lack substance. I don't write reviews as much as I did, but I now feel the ones I write have more substance. And I love your review of Isn't Anything.

Bonnie, your review of RAH has COMPLETELY changed the way I think about Angel Of Harlem. Consider it further lowered on my RAH song rankings.

:uhoh: forgot about the thead again... time flies when you're fucking up someone elses's computer..

I'm fine Bonnie :drool: I love lamb chops, and we had that for dinner... :lmao: before we had fish, but yea my parents were both full from that, so I ended up with 7 chops, they ate 1 each.. can't complain about that!

Actually, I just realised AOH can't go any lower. It's already eighth, and Love Rescue Me is objectively a worse track. Objectively. But now consider there to be more daylight between seventh (Desire) and eighth.

Actually, I just realised AOH can't go any lower. It's already eighth, and Love Rescue Me is objectively a worse track. Objectively. But now consider there to be more daylight between seventh (Desire) and eighth.

Hmm, where is U2 Forcing BB King Into Slavery WLCTT on the list?

So far I have

Snow Patrol - Crazy in Love
Local H - Toxic
Arctic Monkeys - Love Machine
Manic Street Preachers - Umbrella
Stereophonics - Nothing Compares 2 U
Dynamite Boy - I Want It That Way
Kevin Doyle/Elvis - vertigo
KT Tunstall - Get UR Freak On
Amanda Palmer - Umbrella

Hmm, where is U2 Forcing BB King Into Slavery WLCTT on the list?

I'm actually fond of WLCTT and I think it's unfairly trashed on this forum.

1. Heartland
2. God Part II
3. All I Want Is You
4. Hawkmoon 269
5. When Love Comes To Town
6. Van Diemen's Land
7. Desire
8. Angel Of Harlem
9. Love Rescue Me

I'd consider the order of 4-6 interchangeable. Though if Hawkmoon studio were as good as Hawkmoon live, it would be second only to Heartland.

So far I have

Snow Patrol - Crazy in Love
Local H - Toxic
Arctic Monkeys - Love Machine
Manic Street Preachers - Umbrella
Stereophonics - Nothing Compares 2 U
Dynamite Boy - I Want It That Way
Kevin Doyle/Elvis - vertigo
KT Tunstall - Get UR Freak On
Amanda Palmer - Umbrella

Is Umbrella that Rihanna song???

If you want a Rihanna cover just take the song she stole her song SOS from... Tainted love by Soft Cel

I'm actually fond of WLCTT and I think it's unfairly trashed on this forum.

1. Heartland
2. God Part II
3. All I Want Is You
4. Hawkmoon 269
5. When Love Comes To Town
6. Van Diemen's Land
7. Desire
8. Angel Of Harlem
9. Love Rescue Me

I'd consider the order of 4-6 interchangeable. Though if Hawkmoon studio were as good as Hawkmoon live, it would be second only to Heartland.

I would put Hawkmoon higher and GPII lower, but it's a good list. Heartland and Hawkmoon are interchangeable as far as top spot goes for me. I think they're both wonderful.

As for WLCTT, when I heard it on the radio when I was a kid, I thought it was one of the first songs ever recorded. It just seemed that way. It seemed so basic, inoffensive and amateur. I thought it was just the first time white and black vocalists came together, and that it would be something they'd be ashamed of later on.

I now know that it wasn't one of the first songs ever recorded. Instead, it's more of a comedy track to me than anything else. I have a laugh about it. That's not to say I don't listen to it, I just don't take it seriously and think that it's all a bit of a laugh - whether that was the intention or not.

:crack: Tainted Love isn't originally a Soft Cell song, anyway. And samples are a perfectly legit thing. Even though I don't like SOS, it's not a "rip off".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom