Urban Hymns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
I dug this out of my collectoin the other day and re-discoverd it. This is a great album and I wish these guys were still around.

[COLOR=royal blue]You can always check out Richard Ashcroft's solo stuff. It's not entirely the same of course....but something worse checking out a bit. He functioned better as part of a group, though, in my opinion; or as part of THAT group anyway.

:heart: "Sonnet"

I have an mp3 of Neil Finn playing "The Drugs Don't Work" going into "Better Be Home Soon." :tongue:
[/COLOR]

Northern Soul didn't have the pop songwriting Urban Hymns did, but it was still more developed than A Storm In Heaven. Northern Soul also retained the pure sonic boom of the first record. A New Decade just explodes out of the speakers, as does This is Music. So It Goes and On Your Own hint at things to come on Urban Hymns. Most of the other track showcase the band in great form, but tops for me is "No Knock On My Door", it's impassioned vocal burried in a sea of riffs and grooves. And for the record, Ashcroft is ok solo. Most of the tunes are WAY to long, and all he really does now are ballads.

Urban Hymns is the strongest composite of all the musical paths they'd crossed beforehand and the most coherent album of theirs..beautifully subtle and overwhelming~so often at once. If it wasn't for Ok Computer that year this would be my personal favourite of 1997.

I think a lot can also be said for many of The Verve's offerings pre-Storm In Heaven and many B-Side that are B-Sides in name only..She's A Superstar, Feel, No Come, Where The Geese Go, No Come Down, I See The Door, So Sister, Never Wanna See You Cry

History/On Your Own are two of the most haunting and beautiful tracks they've ever recorded..reason enough to look into A Northern Soul

Back
Top Bottom