Upperthong, West Yorkshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coolian2 said:

Well, National apparently won't sell it in their first term in power, but just wait four years.

:lol:

I don't trust those bastards. I hope my father's cynicism proves right and Labour forms government despite National receiving a higher percentage of the vote.

coolian2 said:

We live in hope.

As long as the Greens and NZ First stay in parliament, there's a good shot.

Is Jim Anderton or whatever his name is (formerly of the Alliance) still on the scene too?

Axver said:

As long as the Greens and NZ First stay in parliament, there's a good shot.

Is Jim Anderton or whatever his name is (formerly of the Alliance) still on the scene too?

I love how quick the Maori party were to sell themselves out last time, all happy to form an alliance with National.

And yeah, he's still kicking around with the Jim Anderton Progressive Party. That's actually the name of the party, i believe.

coolian2 said:

I love how quick the Maori party were to sell themselves out last time, all happy to form an alliance with National.

And yeah, he's still kicking around with the Jim Anderton Progressive Party. That's actually the name of the party, i believe.

Which surprises me, since you'd think Labour rather than National would be the major party more likely to give a shit about the Maori. National surely would be only too happy to sell Maori land and I imagine most of its voters are appalled about things like "Mount Cook/Aoraki" and "Mount Taranaki".

Ha. Well, at least he's exploiting the name recognition he has ...

Axver said:

Which surprises me, since you'd think Labour rather than National would be the major party more likely to give a shit about the Maori. National surely would be only too happy to sell Maori land and I imagine most of its voters are appalled about things like "Mount Cook/Aoraki" and "Mount Taranaki".

Exactly. I lost pretty much all of my respect for them when they showed they'd rather sell their principles out and have a hand in power.

coolian2 said:

Exactly. I lost pretty much all of my respect for them when they showed they'd rather sell their principles out and have a hand in power.

That's politics for you.

I know my father in his "OH NOEZ NASHNULZ GONNA LOOSE" paranoia thinks the Maori Party this time around will basically just allow whoever can form government (i.e. Labour) to govern by not blocking supply bills, and then vote on its own terms for everything else.

phillyfan26 said:
Federal funding: discuss.

What about it? I'm amused, disappointed, and unsurprised that the bulk of Kevin Rudd's recently announced "Building Australia Fund" for national infrastructure will go to road rather than rail. I love how politicians blather on about keeping trucks off the roads and reducing congestion by encouraging public transport ... then build more highways. Idiots.

I don't know, you were talking about politics and I just wanted to jump in with something generic since I know nothing about non-American politics.

Not that it's a hugely pressing issue in New Zealand, given the provinces were abolished in 1876.

Can't wait to write about that in my Honours thesis.

:sad: is anyone here to talk to? Need to take my mind off things. I'm in a hell of a state about my surgery. :crazy: Crying one minute, shaking, feeling like I'm going to hyperventilate, yelling at the kids :sad:

gluey said:
:sad: is anyone here to talk to? Need to take my mind off things. I'm in a hell of a state about my surgery. :crazy: Crying one minute, shaking, feeling like I'm going to hyperventilate, yelling at the kids :sad:

:hug: :hug:

gluey said:

Surgery? :censored: What for?

LemonMelon, let's talk more about writing.

I'd like to co-write screenplays and write for animated series. The comic book writer position would allow me to do other types of writing as well. I am also an idea man. They are always coming to me.

I'm going to try to break in to the industry while getting an English degree and maybe get into Iowa's famous writer's workshop. I wish there was some way to get hands on experience.

Screwtape2 said:
LemonMelon, let's talk more about writing.

I'd like to co-write screenplays and write for animated series. The comic book writer position would allow me to do other types of writing as well. I am also an idea man. They are always coming to me.

I'm going to try to break in to the industry while getting an English degree and maybe get into Iowa's famous writer's workshop. I wish there was some way to get hands on experience.

Sounds good. :up: We're attempting to reach similar goals, though my focus is mostly on making a television series via my writing, though being a writer for an existing show would also please me. At this point, getting hands-on experience isn't entirely possible, but talking with and perhaps getting tips from some folks in the industry would be a good start for you.

This is the rockin' thing about history: basically the entire point is putting words down on paper. As much as I love writing fiction, I find something more satisfying and personally rewarding about writing history.

LemonMelon said:

Sounds good. :up: We're attempting to reach similar goals, though my focus is mostly on making a television series via my writing, though being a writer for an existing show would also please me. At this point, getting hands-on experience isn't entirely possible, but talking with and perhaps getting tips from some folks in the industry would be a good start for you.

I wrote a letter to the editor of Marvel Comics telling him how important I could be to the company if he gives me a chance. It is more of a self-motivation tool but who knows maybe he'll read it. I'm also planning on sending an inquiry letter to Marvel Comics to be a writer. If they like what they see they will ask for a writing sample. I believe strongly enough in my writing that it'll be the thing that gets me a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom