Unpopular musical opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
white men can't dance... I'm living proof of this as well

Speak for yerself son ;)

As for unpopular opinions:

The 80s were not the worst time in musical history, they were probably the best. Nothing since compares, and everything before oh 75/76 is rather dated.

Also, disco is awesome, as is p-funk.

Metal just plain sucks, unless you call Tool metal in which case they get a pass.

Nirvana sucked because of Cobain, but the Foo Fighters are brilliant.

Phil Collin's first solo works were great.

The Carpenters were also great.

Hip hop is an amazing form of music, as mentioned, done properly. Unfortunately what passes for hip hop nowadays is crap. It's basically the urban version of hair metal.

Motown and soul are the shit, period. Rock is THEIR sub-genre lol.

Elvis, while good, was a thief.

Boys II Men and New Edition were the best boy bands of our time/the last 20 years.

I like the Beatles, but they are probably the worst "band" of all time. And live they are overrated.

Bobby McFerrin probably is the single best vocalist ever in terms of the insanely crazy shit he can make come out of his mouth.

Country music beyond Hank Williams, Patsy Cline and Willie Nelson is utterly cringeworthy and useless.

Michael Jackson, regardless of whatever the hell he got up to, reigns. Supreme.

Prince is the #1 solo artist of all time.

EDIT: Rush is truly one of the greats. I love them.

Also: Whitney Houston off drugs is my hero, I love her. Mariah Carey can't hold a candle to Whitney in her prime. And for fuck's sake, Christina Aguleira doesn't even deserve a comparison to Britney Spears. Christina can actually sing.

Celine Dion is actually very good. Annoying, but good.

The Rolling Stones - A few excellent songs, a lot of good ones...a TON of crap

The Alarm - U2 Lite, sure...but far more anger and passion

Mötley Crüe - America's best Pop-Metal band....:up:

Bon Jovi - purely hokey

Kate Bush - Musical genius

KISS - Hall of Fame band

Ozzy - gimmicky

Nirvana/Cobain - grossly overrated

Radiohead - :scratch:

U2's Pop - :yuck:

Janis Joplin is very overrated.

So is Jeff Buckley.

Death as a career move has worked wonders for them both.

:lol:...nah I just can't stand it whenever some people shoot down everything since 'Pop'...:angry:

As a long (super long) time U2 fan...Pop is very good, but it's not a masterpiece. If it's your first foray into U2 that skews your opinion. I understand this phenomenon, but everything since 'Pop' has not totally and unequivocably sucked...:tsk:

Zoots, I still listen to Pop quite a bit...:shh:

Another one:

The Hold Steady are overrated

I will agree with this, though I have always enjoyed "Stuck Between Stations".

A few of my own unpopular musical opinions:

-Neutral Milk Hotel = overrated and whiny. Still listenable though.
-Bruce Springsteen's finest moment was The Wild, The Innocent, And The E Street Shuffle
-The only great album Nirvana ever made was In Utero
-The Velvet Underground & Nico is not VU's best album
-Parachutes > A Rush Of Blood To The Head
-Outside of Turn On The Bright Lights, which I enjoy, Interpol :down:

- John Mayer is occasionally excellent.

- Rihanna is about as good as it gets in the current world of pop music. And she's pretty damn good.

- Pitchfork is indispensable for its consolidation of news, not album reviews.

- The White Album should have been trimmed and made into one LP.

- Same for The Wall.

- Ryan Adams hasn't made a great album since Cold Roses and probably won't ever again.

- Michigan is better than Illinois.

- ( ) is better than Ágætis Byrjun.

- Harrison made the best post-Beatles album.

- Sea Change is far and away Beck's best.

- REM is overrated.

- Leslie Feist is the hottest woman in the world.

- Gorillaz > Blur.

- Jenny Lewis' solo stuff > garbage > Rilo Kiley

U2 should be banned from this thread. And by thread I mean forum.

For the most part I'd agree, but I do plan on starting a "No Line on the Horizon - What do B&Cers think?" thread so I don't have to sift through the EYKIW wasteland for fair and balanced reactions.

I just picked up a used copy of Michigan! :hyper: I'm looking forward to hearing it, finally.

They won't let you into heaven until you take it back...

Pfft. Buckley was talented. He was very talented! But his pre-death output was not nearly so outstandingly amazing that he should have been elevated to such sainted status, with every lip fart and murmur he ever recorded to have been released poshumously.

- Leslie Feist is the hottest woman in the world.

Hmm. Not sure I agree, but K-OS is bangin her, so there's that.

Honestly though, if you were going to go in that direction (ie Canadian rock chicks), I'd have to say that Bif Naked tops her by a lonnng shot. She's irresistable (but, sadly, now married).

bifpromo1.jpg

bif1.jpg

The National is the best thing going in the music biz today.

Bright Eyes has one good album. That's it. (I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning)

Most of you retarded fucks (yes gaf, I'm looking at you. put on a shirt) have never actually heard country music.

Villa Elaine by Remy Zero was the best album released in 1998

I like Fall Out Boy. All of the advance singles from the new album are strong, and they've earned the Elvis Costello guest spot on "What a Catch, Donnie." I think Patrick Stump has a dynamic and interesting voice that keeps me coming back to the band, even if it sucks live and Pete Wentz is a self-absorbed wank.

Here's my big one: classical music is NOT just for university professors or people who want to make themselves appear more intelligent than they actually are. It's wonderful and well worth looking into -- don't let the "classical music is boring" stereotype turn you away. There are times when I actually feel more in touch with, say, Shostakovich or Chopin than I do with any modern form of popular music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom