Uncle Tupelo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
No news here, just finally purchased the Unlce Tupelo anthology and cant get enough of it currently. Its amazing what these guys have done for the whole alt/country genre.

They really put it on the map, not to mention the number of "spin off" bands that have come from them.....most notably Wilco

anyways.........agree with me, or else....:wink:

Hell yeah! I LOOVE uncle tupelo. My Wilco obsession prompted me to purchase the Anthology and I adored it almost immediately. I found Still Feel Gone and Anodyne for cheap used, but I'm going to hold off on the rest until the albums are reissued this spring. Bonus tracks and rarities... :drool:

Also, Shannon. You should download the following songs (the first three especially):

Graveyard Shift
Still Be Around
New Madrid
Gun
Black Eye

And if you want me to burn you a copy of the Anthology, let me know. :)

Hallelujah, I knew you would be on board here, yeah, the whole alt/country genre has been very appealing to me lately. I just picked up the Loose Fur EP as well and think its great! Seems anything Tweedy touches turns to gold.....:up:

Flower....EP and SF forever.....:wink:

bear, you are wierd and thats what makes you fit in around here................:down:

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
Also, Shannon. You should download the following songs (the first three especially):

Graveyard Shift
Still Be Around
New Madrid
Gun
Black Eye

And if you want me to burn you a copy of the Anthology, let me know. :)

thanks gina, you are a rock star! :D

VIVA SFEP!!! :|

Gickies Gageeze said:
ive never heard of them. ive listened to wilco and theyve done nothing for me.

i must be weird. :|

I'm in the same weird boat then. I have Wilco's YHF, or what ever the album is called. It's ok. That's as high of a praise as I'll give it. I dont dislike it, but I dont necessarily think it was worth of all the hype, let alone any.

To me, the whole "alternative country" thing kinda seems like a bogus genre to me. It doesnt seem either "alternative" or "country". It seems like pop. Most of those songs/artists are about as country as Elton John and as alternative as Shania Twain. In my book Ryan Adams IS Bryan Adams.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:

I'm in the same weird boat then. I have Wilco's YHF, or what ever the album is called. It's ok. That's as high of a praise as I'll give it. I dont dislike it, but I dont necessarily think it was worth of all the hype, let alone any.

To me, the whole "alternative country" thing kinda seems like a bogus genre to me. It doesnt seem either "alternative" or "country". It seems like pop. Most of those songs/artists are about as country as Elton John and as alternative as Shania Twain. In my book Ryan Adams IS Bryan Adams.

:angry:

mofo, im a bit surprised at your generalizations....

while some of it does have more of a poppy sound at times what I feel separates it from pop music is the lack of radioplay and the indie labels you will find most of these artists on........

What separates it from country imo is the lack of twangy sound as well as the vocalists dont sound as if they were born and bred in the south for the most part.

What I appreciate most about it the songwriting and the great use of pure unplugged type instruments..........

so, i dont ask you to change your tune, just consider these points as well........ also.... Ryan and Bryan are as similar as Willie Nelson and Michael Bolton.....or something like that

Elvis Presley said:

so, i dont ask you to change your tune, just consider these points as well........ also.... Ryan and Bryan are as similar as Willie Nelson and Michael Bolton.....or something like that

You're right about that... I dont like any of them, hehehehe

I know what you mean though, I apologize for my over-generalizations. I was just trying to make a point.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:

The "alt" in alt-country doesn't refer to "alternative" as in the genre of music ostensibly opposed to mainstream music. Rather, it indicates that this is non-establishment country music. As in, it's an "alternative" to the crap that Nashville pours out on a regular basis.

As for it not sounding like country, I'll freely admit that a lot of the artists considered alt-country really don't sound very country anymore. Uncle Tupelo did in it's day and Wilco did at the beginning, but their sound has changed. As for Ryan Adams, have you listened to Heartbreaker at all? Or to any Whiskeytown? Those sound pretty country to me. I'll admit Gold is quite poppy, but his earlier stuff has a definite country feel to it.

In any case, I don't think most of these artists chose to label themselves as alt-country in the first place. Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy didn't wake up one morning and be like "hey! let's start a genre of music! let's call it alt-country and make music within it's confines forever and ever!" So it's not really fair to accuse the movement of being bogus just because the artists that are (or used to) be a part of it have evolved their sound.

Edit: And now you had to go edit your post and apologize and make my post sound annoying and pissy. Oh well, I'll leave it anyway. :p

Last edited:
They are re-releasing all of Uncle Tupelo's albums in a couple weeks. My roommate got copies of them already. Fantastic.

In any case, I don't think most of these artists chose to label themselves as alt-country in the first place.

I know what you mean. Most all of these "genre classes" kinda group together artists who sometimes shouldt be grouped together. The alt-country and emo genre's specifically are a little odd in my taste. It seems like pretty much any artist who gets labeled under those genre titles usually cant figure out why, and doesnt like being labeled that way.

PS - Your post didnt sound pissy at all, you made really good points.

I listened to Wilco - YHF today because this thread got me thinking about it. I actually really like about 4 songs on it.

I'm Trying to Break Your Heart, and Reservations are my favorites.

I still dont think it's the most exciting or hype worthy album around, but it did sound better than I remembered it.

popmofo, :up:

I wasnt trying to convert anyone with my statements but its nice that you gave it a listen and even liked ole Wilco a bit as well, my moto is that if you listen to lots and lots of different types of music, (even some you dont care for), you will end up finding some that you do like. And when you revert back to your old favorites, you will like those even more!

-EP

u2popmofo said:
I listened to Wilco - YHF today because this thread got me thinking about it. I actually really like about 4 songs on it.

I still dont think it's the most exciting or hype worthy album around, but it did sound better than I remembered it.

I'm glad I hadn't heard much of they hype about the album when I first listened to it. At the time, it was just some album a friend had recommended. Not that this somehow made it a better album, but I was able to listen to it for what it was. I dunno. I tend to like albums more if I'm freed from outside expectations of liking them. If that makes sense...

Graveyard Shift
Still Be Around
New Madrid
Gun
Black Eye

:heart: Still Be Around :heart:

(again, thanks to Mirrorball Girl)

:) That's one of my favorites, too, Joyfulgirl. (Hence, it made it onto the compilation!)

Ahh, Pitchfork. Snarky. But somewhat informative. ;)

u2popmofo said:

It was kind of a sleeper for me. I bought it based on hearing I'm Trying to Break Your Heart, plus hearing a Wilco song around here and there and having a general affinity for alt-country anyway. When I got YFH I thought, eh, ok, won't get much play around my house though. Then all of a sudden it kicked in and I can't stop listening to it. This morning I had "I'm the Man Who Loves You" on a continuous loop. I'm kind of in love with that song.

Anyway, just an excuse to *boost* this thread.

Am buying the UT anthology very soon.

Just got the UT anthology too. Great, great stuff. I agree with what JG said about YHF. I swear, I've fallen in love with this album. I could gush about it for hours, but I'll spare ya'll. "Kamera" "Radio Cure" Jesus,Etc" "Heavy Metal Drummer" are such beautiful songs. "Poor Places" too.
I also just bought the Wilco DVD "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" by SAm Jones. It's a great companion piece to YHF. A great behind the scenes look at the making of the album, it's rejection from Reprise, and the firing of longtime member Jay Bennet. Very tense, but beautifully shot in b&w.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom