u2 v's simple minds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boystupidboy

Refugee
Does anyone remember the rivalry between these (at least there fans)in the 80's?I used to love both until SM started to lose the plot and bring out some right crap,after 'see the lights'.
I believe SM are still going but i would'nt pay tuppence to see them now,and thats from someone who saw them 6/7 times.
Anyone else see them live?:huh:

boystupidboy said:
Does anyone remember the rivalry between these (at least there fans)in the 80's?I used to love both until SM started to lose the plot and bring out some right crap,after 'see the lights'.
I believe SM are still going but i would'nt pay tuppence to see them now,and thats from someone who saw them 6/7 times.
Anyone else see them live?:huh:

I saw them live twice in 2002. I got to meet them and hang out with them both times also. Great shows, especially Chicago. They are very nice down to earth guys, especially Charlie. They still have "it" live. Jim Kerr's vocals are as strong as they were in the 80's. My only disappointment with them has been some of their recorded work over the last 10 years which you eluded to. Still, there are some great songs in those albums even though they havent put together a complete album in a long time (IE Space Face, New Sunshine Morning, Night Music, etc.. are all good tunes from the past 8 years). They just are not getting the publicity they once were. If you get a chance to see them again, I would go. The only artist I have seen that is head and shoulders better (and I have seen ALOT of concerts over the years) would be U2. Maybe Bruce and The Stones also, but that is saying alot if those are the only artists in front of you live.

Saw Simple Minds in Glasgow Barrowlands and Ibrox Stadium in the 80s. I take your point, Stupidboy, about their subsequent demise. I saw them a few years ago in Edinburgh and it was pretty average. But these two concerts were, even now, two of the best I've seen!:dance:

Aardvark747 said:

:drool:
Was there really a rivalry? Jeez I wouldnt have thought that!

Not really, they were both very popular in Europe in the 80s and were up and comers at the same time. If there was a rivalry at all, it was a friendly one. Some fans may have been rivals :lol: but the bands certainly were not.

Back
Top Bottom