u2 v.s radiohead who do u think will win?(musically speaking)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rythemwire

The Fly
I just wanted to know who u guys think are better when it comes to the following catigories,

1. vocals: bono v.s thom

2. lyrics: bono v.s thom

3.gutair: edge v.s jonny

4.bass: adam v.s colin

5.drums: larry v.s phil

6.live show: u2 v.s rh

7.frontman proformance: bono v.s thom

8.fanbase:u2 v.s rh

9.album:actung baby v.s ok computer

10.popularity: u2 v.s rh

I just want to know u view on this catogories so feel free to flame me ( it will hurt but I can take it :sad: ) I think they are just simulaur in ways, I luv both but if u really look at both of their bodies of work you will see it too.For ex. when u2 first put out a.b the style they made known to the public was not known and NOT accepted much by the listing public, and they not only made it known but loved and legendnary same with zooropa and pop, it was like the uncommon thought on the common thing and I feel when r.h made threr albums it was the same basic formula but renergized and renewed in their own spacific way of creativity.I know what I'm saying is hard to swallow but if u think about it it will make sense(I hope) they are their own sources of insparation as apose to other bands that take "samples" of others mix it and call it "a bolt of insparationaly energy" that just fell out the sky.You know a band has that "spark" when you can get them all in the same room and one of them hits a note and slowly in bits and peices beauty forms in the mask of music , they are the makers of the orginal form of the creative gem they fused togather.You know it just comes in clips in phases or in long strokes but the point is it came to them without a plan just a thought of how beautiful THEY want it to be. I think it's called focus on fullfilling their dream of somthing that will LAST not whats HOT or the IN thing that will be shelved in a week or two but stuff you can pick up 5 or 7 years from now and still have that feeling of how much it touches your SOUL every time you hear it. Bands like this just seem to GET IT and we are blessed to RECIEVE it too.

p.s sorry for the ranting and grammer
peace& love RYTHEMWIRE :cool:

1. vocals: bono

2. lyrics: tie

3.gutair: jonny

4.bass: adam

5.drums: phil

6.live show: can't say, I haven't seen radiohead live due to "excessive flooding" cancellations in DC last year :angry:

7.frontman proformance: bono is a better "showman" (whatever than means?) but Thom is a superior musician and song-writer (plays guitar and keyboards while introducing most of the song ideas for the band to develop, oh, and he writes the lyrics, too)

8.fanbase: not sure what you mean by this, U2 have more fans obviously, but does that make U2 fans better than Radiohead fans??? probably U2 fans are a little more amiable

9.album: this is like comparing donuts and bagels, both are virtually flawless albums

10.popularity: clearly U2 sell more records and sell-out more shows

I cant really answer fairly because I havent seen radiohead live, but I have heard a few of their songs and from what heard I would be able to give a fair answer. I have been a fan of U2s long than Radiohead.

1. vocals: Bono

2. lyrics: They are both so different lyrically that I cant compare them.

3.gutair: Edge

4.bass: Adam

5.drums: Larry

6.live show: I have not seen radiohead live so I would have to say U2

7.frontman performance: Same as 6 but Bono is an awesome performer

8.fanbase: U2

9.album: Achtung Baby

10.popularity: U2

Oh dear.. :huh: I love Radiohead but I think I'm biased. :p

edge over jonny? i mean edge is awesome, and diverse but....

id have to disagree.

good thread though, ill post more here later when i have time.

not that you really care, but just thought id mention it.

Re: Re: u2 v.s radiohead who do u think will win?(musically speaking)

Sicy said:

2. lyrics: They are both so different lyrically that I cant compare them.

3.gutair: Edge

4.bass: Adam

5.drums: Larry

6.live show: I have not seen radiohead live so I would have to say U2

7.frontman performance: Same as 6 but Bono is an awesome performer

8.fanbase: U2

9.album: Achtung Baby

10.popularity: U2

Oh dear.. :huh: I love Radiohead but I think I'm biased. :p

I don't think you can really quantify it. I mean, what are better lyrics, "fake plastic trees" or "wild honey"?....:scratch: ....there's no contest.
on the otherhand....there's "bullet the blue sky" verses "bones"...
the same can be said for the other categories as well.

both have their own amazing moments.:sexywink:

Salome said:
that sounds gay

oh salome, i guess you didnt understand the context of what was being said. we actually werent talking about homo-eroticsm, rather who was ranked higher.

at least your mind is in the right place, and your not grasping for straws in a lame attempt to put me down.

anyway,

2. lyrics: bono

3.gutair: greenwood, no question about it.

4.bass: Adam has some killer lines like mofo, please, wowy, to name but a few, but so does colin, like airbag, packt like sardines, and how to disappear completely.

5.drums: sorry larry, you dont even begin to compare to phil. try playing airbag sometime, or even paranoid android. maybe then youll use half of the drum kit you sit behind during your live shows.

6.live show: both are great.

7.frontman performance: performance wise, bono is a better showman without question. however, hes usually free to do as he pleases cause he rarely plays an instrument like thom does. oh and when bono is playing guitar, its rarely plugged in...

8.fanbase: U2 because radiohead fans suck. theyre the most stuck up, self rightous dolts that youll ever meet. nothing is good enough for them.

9.album: achtung baby or pop are epics imo

10.popularity: stupid and most irrelevant of all questions asked. creed is popular, what does that mean anyway?

one category that you should have included is music videos and album/set art work; radiohead wins this easily, though Bono does generally wear cool jackets, it's simply not enough

You suck more than a Hoover

Zoomerang96 said:
5.drums: sorry larry, you dont even begin to compare to phil. try playing airbag sometime, or even paranoid android. maybe then youll use half of the drum kit you sit behind during your live shows.

* shoves a drumstick up your ass

Zoomerang96 said:

oh salome, i guess you didnt understand the context of what was being said. we actually werent talking about homo-eroticsm, rather who was ranked higher.

at least your mind is in the right place, and your not grasping for straws in a lame attempt to put me down.

anyway,

2. lyrics: bono

3.gutair: greenwood, no question about it.

4.bass: Adam has some killer lines like mofo, please, wowy, to name but a few, but so does colin, like airbag, packt like sardines, and how to disappear completely.

6.live show: both are great.

7.frontman performance: performance wise, bono is a better showman without question. however, hes usually free to do as he pleases cause he rarely plays an instrument like thom does. oh and when bono is playing guitar, its rarely plugged in...

8.fanbase: U2 because radiohead fans suck. theyre the most stuck up, self rightous dolts that youll ever meet. nothing is good enough for them.

9.album: achtung baby or pop are epics imo

10.popularity: stupid and most irrelevant of all questions asked. creed is popular, what does that mean anyway?

listen to larry's drumming throughout unforgettable fire/joshua periods.
no one has ever played parts like that in rock.
and the drums on airbag from ok computer are a sampled 3 second swatch from phil.
and radiohead fans aren't that bad.
I'm one of them.:lemon:

ok, sorry, im not trying to put down larry, i sounded to harsh.

but ask any drummer here, and they will tell you larry is not nearly the best drummer in the bus.

and...many will consider phil to be up there.

and btw, airbag is sampled, but he plays it live. try playing paranoid android too, that song is pretty much off beat with everything else at the beginning, am i right? i might not be...

anyway, im not really trying to take anything away from larry, im just saying i believe phil is a better drummer.

when it comes to looks though...hoho, you better believe it - larry is dynamite.

yeah Phil won't rate well in PLEBA, but neither does this dead-ringer for a young Allan Greenspan, I'm really not famous or anything

Larry is good at what he does, but I have always wondered what someone like Stewart Copeland of The Police would do sitting there behind Adam and The Edge

well, phil's an educated musician...he played in pit bands, etc. and can swing (pyramid song).
larry...well, I just don't know how he came up with parts like those on unforgettable fire. and live, he's definitly holding it all together.
yes, phil lays it down live too.
they are both beutiful drummers......and a great drummer is a rare commodity.:D

I have a live video (.mpeg) of Radiohead performing Paranoid Android in 1998 at a festival... Phil's drumming is absolutely amazing. I mean, it's hard to even put it into words. This could also be backed up by another video I downloaded, Radiohead performing Idioteque on SNL. The climax of the entire song is made up by Phil's frantic drumming. But then again, this is all not written to put Larry down. I think he gives U2 what they need; the rhythm section definitely supports Bono + Edge throughout every song.

1. vocals: Bono.

2. lyrics: Thom - I don't have that much of an idea what he's singing about when he talks about being hungry for lichen. But I do know what he's talking about on The Bends or OK Computer. Those two albums are enough to make him a lyrical genius, perhaps even more than Bono.

3. guitar: Jonny.

4. bass: Adam.

5. drums: Phil.

6. live show: N/A.

7. frontman performance: N/A.

8. fanbase: U2 - U2 fans are so nice, they make everyone else look bad.

9. album: OK Computer.

10. popularity: With critics? With fans? With album sales?

I'm just gonna say a couple things.

Thom write the kind of lyrics that you need to be in certain moods for. They're not generally accessible and they generally don't relate to my life. I'm sure theres some hidden meaning behind "Squash the mouse" but I can't find it. I still love that song though, it gives me chills whever I hear the first chord(even though its basically PA redone!!)

Death Bear:
Don't write Edge off!!! Just because Johnny makes weird noises and such doesn't mean hes better. Hes doing what every other UK band has done with guitar. The Smiths were not far off his style sometimes even in the 80's.

Edge on the other hand has simply created a different style of guitar-playing. nobody came close to it before and nobody has touched it since. Its edges trademark and Guitar World magazine realized this when they were placing him in the top 100 best guitarists OF ALL TIME!! they didn't know what category to put him in so they put him under Free Radicals with Lou Reed and Thuston moore(Sonic Youth).

heres some of what they said:
Few players have done more than u2's the edge to define the post modern guitar style. The Edge showed how textures and rhythms, rather than riffs or chord progressions, could provide the main guitar interest in a song. A master of contrast, he often juxtaposed scratchy rhythms against ringing open chords that resonate with celtic grandeur

and it goes on and on....

Let me just see what they say about Johnny:
..oops...he's not in here....

I don't completely agree. I think Johnny is better than a few of the people they have listed here, he has influenced my guitar style to some extent as well. BUT he has not done much new with guitar. Don't let the obsure songs and weird sounds trick you, its nothing new.
Now using what he used on the Kid A/Amnesiac tour...THAT'S NEW!! but it ain't no guitar ;)

ok basstrap, i agree with everything you had to say about edge. im sorry i appeared to cut him short, but i was only comparing him to jonny.

now what you quoted as some crazy list or whatever, means absolutely nothing. cause if it did, then we could pull out hundreds of other top 100 greatest guitarists, and hed be in there. and hed place pretty high too, might i add.

he hasnt done anything new with the guitar? its all been done before?

im not even going to dignify that with a proper response. clearly this issue is hopeless with you.

but again, im sorry if i appeared to slag u2 at all.

Zoomerang, its not a hopeless case; I've been known to admit defeat before I just need a reply from you. I like debates, they feed me.

I love Johnny's work to death! I mean his use of minor and melodic leads is deadly!
From the first moment I heard Creep and saw the live video with Johnny's hands moving a mile a minute I was hooked on radiohead. They're gems.
But the question for me is did Johnny create something new? Did he do something that hasn't been done before? You can look to technical skill and maybe Johnny would have "the edge"...though its hard to say, johnny, like edge, seems not to believe in showing off too much with huge solos and such...but the main thing that makes a guitar player better than another is his innovativness. Otherwise we'd both have to concede that Eddie Van Halen kicks the asses of both Edge and Johnny combined!

Actually I'm beginning to ruin my argument...who can deny that Johnny is innovative and genius? I guess he has kind of defined an era or a genre of rock. At least he modified it. Without Radiohead would there be Travis, Coldplay, Doves, etc??
But their style is not completely new...its modified. Its a modern Pink Floyd, it The Smiths revisited,

so I guess now the question has become...who is more innovative with guitar: Johnny or Edge? That makes the question a little harder!!

It almost seems that in the time I've begun writing this to the end I've backtracked and now stand indecisive.
Perhaps...but I still say edge for reasons mentioned yesterdays post.

alright basstrap, thats more like it. i see exactly what your saying with all that, and it makes sense.

i dunno, i guess now ill just say personally i find jonny to be better. personal opinion is all.

cool stuff.

good thread, really.

Back
Top Bottom