Travelling in the States

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
Well I'm definitely going to America for the summer to work! I'm really excited, but I'd like some info/advice about where I should go after when I get about 10 days to travel before I have to get home for uni. I'm working in New Hampshire, and my plan was to go to see Niagara Falls, Toronto (I have friends there I've never met) and then New York which is where the flight home is from. So it'd be a wee triangle, sort of, lol. But since I've discovered you can get some pretty decent priced flights inside the US, I was wondering if maybe I could afford to go a little further for a couple of days. For some reason Denver appeals to me... But I've never ever been to the US before (I'm from Scotland) and so I'd appreciate all suggestions! I'm excited to see anywhere, but obviously I want to be as safe as I can if I'll be on my own.

Thank you!

Kat :D

If you're going to be in the northeast Boston is really cool and fun. Maybe Chicago too but I've never been there. I don't really know what's in Denver and I've never been there either but if it's your kinda thing go for it! :lol:

Well, I'd say that Niagara Falls, Toronto and NYC are already enough. I spent 10 days in NYC in May last year (yep, with the U2 concert) and it's a wonderful city with so many things to see. So don't try to go to too many places, since you won't be able to see much then of every location. Just like it isn't possible to see Europe in 3 weeks (although some may think otherwise) it's equally impossible to see the US in 3 weeks. Or 2 major cities and a major tourist landscape in 2 weeks.

But whatever your final plans are, have fun!
:)

Yep, i would stick with the east coast too. There is so much there. Boston is great, so is NYC and there is also Washington DC.

I am not sure I would travel to Denver though. I have been there and it did not impress me as much as the other cities I have listed. And if you are going to travel west, why stop there when you could come to California???

Yeah I probably will end up staying on the east... I won't be too far from Boston anyway so I hope to see a lot of that. I'm just desperate to see everything lol! It's a shame I can't.

If you were to venture away from the East than I would say go for Chicago. It's a really great city! But than on the other hand there is a lot to do on the East Coast. Have heard that Maine is really pretty. Even though I live on the EC I haven't made it up that way yet. NY is fun too so that's somewhere that you should check out also.

I'll second the DC recommendation--tourists often overlook it because they assume it's a boring administrative centre or associate it with disliked politicians, but it has some of the country's best museums and it's the only place in the US where most museums are *free*. But yeah, Boston's great too, and you could easily spend the whole time in NYC without running out of things to do.

I wouldn't plan on too much time in Niagara Falls (unless it's to spend time with your friends, of course)--the falls themselves are breathtaking and one of the greatest natural wonders for sure, but the city is rather tacky and overtouristed.

I would say NYC just because it's NYC, DC for museums, and some smaller places along the coast of Maine because they're so beautiful.

When are you going? If it's in the fall, I'm sure there are some great "fall colors" tours through the forests/mountains.

Everyone I know that's been to Niagra Falls haven't been that impressed. The Falls are cool, but depending on the weather, it can be a shit time and you won't even see anything. I'd rather see a smaller waterfall on a hike out west.

Firstly thanks to everyone for the comments!

I'd be going during the first 2 weeks of September. I thought about DC as well because it looks so interesting, I'm really interested in seeing sighs and museums. I do really want to see Niagara Falls too, even if it turns out not to be great I'd like to have a go cos I'll probably never be there again, lol. I'd only spent a few hours anyway, it'd be on my way to Toronto rather than a city in itself, for me. If that makes sense!

Yeah as I'm in New Hampshire I'm going to be in a good location. I think during my time working there's options to go on trips to nearby places and Boston and stuff with the staff, so I might end up seeing lots of things that way. I'd miss out Toronto if I could get away with it (I might do Canada next year) but I want to meet my friends so I can't really!

Argh, logistics can be a nightmare. ;)

If you go to Maine you should go to this place called Ogunquit (it actually means beautiful place by the sea). The beach there is great and they have a coastal walkway called the Marginal Way, one of the most beautiful sights you'll ever see.

I've lived on the east coast all my life, but I've been to most every state. The west is exciting and beautiful. All parts of the country are interesting in their own way, such different scenery and geography along the way. If you have time, take a car trip,the interstates are easy travel.

As far as being safe, stay out of 'shady' areas (you will probably be able to see for yourself what I mean) and if you can, get into your motel and carry in your stuff before it gets dark. It's not like you're going to get attacked everywhere you go, you probably won't, but it's better to be safe if you don't know the area. Most of the crime and shootings you hear about in America happen in the inner cities and are drug related, so don't think there's a bunch of crazies out there ready to grab you. I'm sure you have enough common sense not to get yourself into a dangerous situation (like Natalie Holloway) Have fun!

chickadee said:
Firstly thanks to everyone for the comments!

I'd be going during the first 2 weeks of September. I thought about DC as well because it looks so interesting, I'm really interested in seeing sighs and museums. I do really want to see Niagara Falls too, even if it turns out not to be great I'd like to have a go cos I'll probably never be there again, lol. I'd only spent a few hours anyway, it'd be on my way to Toronto rather than a city in itself, for me. If that makes sense!

Yeah as I'm in New Hampshire I'm going to be in a good location. I think during my time working there's options to go on trips to nearby places and Boston and stuff with the staff, so I might end up seeing lots of things that way. I'd miss out Toronto if I could get away with it (I might do Canada next year) but I want to meet my friends so I can't really!

Argh, logistics can be a nightmare. ;)

Where in NH will you be? Just curious because that's where I live.

:)

U2Kitten said:
I've lived on the east coast all my life, but I've been to most every state. The west is exciting and beautiful. All parts of the country are interesting in their own way, such different scenery and geography along the way. If you have time, take a car trip,the interstates are easy travel.

As far as being safe, stay out of 'shady' areas (you will probably be able to see for yourself what I mean) and if you can, get into your motel and carry in your stuff before it gets dark. It's not like you're going to get attacked everywhere you go, you probably won't, but it's better to be safe if you don't know the area. Most of the crime and shootings you hear about in America happen in the inner cities and are drug related, so don't think there's a bunch of crazies out there ready to grab you. I'm sure you have enough common sense not to get yourself into a dangerous situation (like Natalie Holloway) Have fun!

I'm not sure whether I am less or more worried now. ;) No, I am sensible, just worried about getting lost and stuff and taking a wrong turn and well, you know. Little blonde Scottish girl in a massive new country!

I'd love to get a car and drive but like, it's the other side of the road and I'd be a hazard, I'm bad enough on the usual side, lol! I don't know, if I get someone else along with me I'd probably consider that.

Thanks for the advice!

Canobie Lake - used to go there a lot as a kid.

I live over at the coast (which for NH is something like 18 miles long). You're obviously very close to Boston (under an hour) so I'm sure you'll go there plenty of times. A trip down to NYC would be good, and I'd visit Maine, too. Niagara Falls is a bit further over, but if you plan accordingly you could probably do it.

Have fun. New England is great in the summer. Well, except for the humidity...

:D

Hee, really? Is it a good place? Obviously I'm going into this kind of blind, but I'm looking forward to it as long as you tell me good things. ;)

I think they lay on trips to Boston during the summer too so I hope to see a bit of that, I'm excited to see everything really!

I hope people will understand me okay as well. I mean, my accent isn't broad but it's definitely Scottish, lol.

lol Im sure they will be able to understand. Sometimes I have trouble understanding the southerners with their accents :wink: Oh and yeah DC is a really cool place to visit! Have been there quite a bit and never get tired of going.

Niagara Falls is definitely a must see - I've been there twice and love it :) You can easily see and do it all in 2 days - then off to Toronto for another 2 days. NYC will require the bulk of your time to see and do all the fun stuff. If you have any time left, I'd recommend Boston or Montreal....or possibly DC/Philly area.

Have fun :wave:

chickadee said:
I hope people will understand me okay as well. I mean, my accent isn't broad but it's definitely Scottish, lol.

They will love it and say you are sooooo cute!

Sounds like you've got an awesome trip coming. I've never been around New England much (the one time I was there for a week was doing relief work immediately after Sept. 11) so I'm looking to go there for my honeymoon. I've always wanted to see the coast of Maine and the Holocaust museum in DC. Toronto as well, but that's probably worthy of it's own trip!

Please don't let anyone discourage you going to Niagara Falls. Even if the tourist traps on the Canadian side are too much for you, the falls themselves, the Maid Of The Mist, going down behind the falls, the whirlpool basket - worth every minute. I recommend staying at one of the Bed n Breakfasts.

Continuing on to Toronto is the icing on the cake - it's a wonderful city, and you might even hit it during the film festival.

The biggest drawback will be the dreadful ride through western New York State...

10 days? 2 days Boston, 1 day Niagara Falls, 2 days Toronto with your friends, 3 days NYC, 2 days Washington DC.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Everyone I know that's been to Niagra Falls haven't been that impressed. The Falls are cool, but depending on the weather, it can be a shit time and you won't even see anything. I'd rather see a smaller waterfall on a hike out west.

Huh?

The way the Falls are set up is that there is a road and a walkway built right next to them. Therefore it's impossibe to "not see anything" since the falls are right smack in front of you to the point where you can feel the mist. They're not off in the distance, they're not in the fog and so on. That's the strangest thing I've heard, honestly.

While the falls are not great in shitty weather, they can be absolutely gorgeous in winter when there is ice. In the summer, they're lovely and the Maid of the Mist is spectacular - worth it and quite cheap for what you get.

Niagara Falls itself is not exactly a city or a town, it's like a couple of main streets that look like a knockoff of Vegas, so you can easily do what you want there in a day. I've taken lots and lots of people to the falls, both from here and overseas and everyone has always absolutely loved them.

phanan said:

Have fun. New England is great in the summer. Well, except for the humidity...

:D

:no: That humidity is awful! My brother and his wife were married in Maine in July and let me tell you I have never experienced such horrible humidity. It was worst than anything I have lived with here in the South.

New England is beautiful. The mid-Atlantic states are just as beautiful. The Shenandoah Valley in Virgina is gorgeous if you are up for a scenic drive.

Hell every part of this country is beautiful. Different landscapes in all 4 corners.

Back
Top Bottom