Torquay Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
unico said:

educational leadership and policy studies, to be specific. but in that i took a few courses on college student development. we explored psychosocial and cognitive development, as well as temperaments. it was specific to college students because it is such a time of development, however many theories can be applied to people outside of college as well.

Every postwhore is or has done something really neat in college. I admire that. :up:

unico said:

just don't eat them all at once.

Considering it's 1:30am here, I think I'm tough out of luck on getting any. Not even the trams operate at this hour (well, except on Friday and Saturday nights). :(

Axver said:

:lol:

It seems to be a mix of talking about academic interests and posting photos of stuff vaguely related that we enjoy.

Coming up next, Kiwi trains. :drool:

I don't know what I enjoy... :hmm: at least nothing comes to mind at the moment.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhh stupid donut!!!

UNINTENTIONALLY FUNNY RAILWAY ACRONYM TIME

Let me introduce you to alien birds.

The most common type of train for commuter service these days is the electric multiple unit, or EMU. Basically, this is a set of (semi-)permanently linked carriages of which at least one is motorised, with power provided by (typically overhead) lines.

Now, Wellington's predominant type of EMU consists of two-carriage units. One carriage is motorised, the other is unmotorised. These two-carriage units can be run in multiples of up to four, creating eight-carriage trains. Now, the motorised carriage is classified EM (m for motor), and the unmotorised carriage is classified ... yes, t for trailer, ET.

So here's an EM/ET EMU rocking into Paremata station.

s640x480

Anyway lovely people, I'm going to go and have some Kate Bush music therapy and tuck myself into bed.

sweet dreams and wonderful day to you :)

unico said:

:lol: never have i ever heard a train sound so cool.

:drool: acronyms

See, this stuff isn't all dull rivet-counting. :wink:

Here's another EM/ET EMU, this time travelling away from Paremata alongside Porirua Harbour.

s640x480

TranceEnding said:
Anyway lovely people, I'm going to go and have some Kate Bush music therapy and tuck myself into bed.

sweet dreams and wonderful day to you :)

Have a good night, Melissa! :wave:

I'll be out soon too, since I've a midday class tomorrow and would like eight hours of sleep.

And now for something completely different, but alas, not Python. A freight train! Hauled by two DX class locomotives, trundling into Paekakariki. Yeah, there's a fun name for you foreigners.

s640x480

unico said:
did you take these pictures yourself, ax?

Yep! Most of them date from January this year. The freight train I just posted was from July last year though.

Axver said:

Yep! Most of them date from January this year. The freight train I just posted was from July last year though.

have you ever thought about work? i thought about working for the metro once. i think that'd be fun to speed through tunnels, greet passengers with fake accents...

Here's a couple of heritage Wellington trams. Wellington's tramway closed in 1964, but a number of the trams are preserved at the Wellington Tramway Museum in Queen Elizabeth Park on the Kapiti Coast, just five minutes from my childhood home. I photographed these two in July last year. The one in the background is my favourite type of tram ever, a Fiducia. I love the Fiducias. They funnily enough resemble Melbourne's Z class, but predate it by decades! Probably the reason I like the Z class so much is due to their Fiducia resemblance.

s640x480

unico said:
have you ever thought about work? i thought about working for the metro once. i think that'd be fun to speed through tunnels, greet passengers with fake accents...

:lol:

My childhood dream was to be a train driver. My vision is far too shockingly bad for that to be viable. I'm thinking about volunteering at some heritage societies though. They can use all the help they can get. And preserving any kind of history is made of SuperWin if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom