Tori Amos live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
As a late birthday present....my boyfriend took me to see Tori Amos at the Patriot Center in VA tonite...er...last nite....Tuesday. Whatever!!

Anyway Tori was AWESOME. Her voice is just :drool: so intense. I wish it had lasted longer! I think her set actually ran for almost 2 and a half hours.....! But I wanted to hear "Precious Things"

I do remember she did (not in order)

Wampum Prayer
A Sorta Fairytale (I know these two were first)
Black-Dove (January)
Take to the Sky
Sweet Sangria
I Can't See New York
Don't Make Me Come to Vegas
Cornflake Girl!!
Pancake
Crucify
Icicle
Cloud on my Tongue
Gold Dust
Tear in Your Hand
Northern Lad!!!!!
Amber Waves
Wednesday
Concertina
Sugar
Spring Haze (last)
Hey Jupiter(I know this was last in the encore)

Howie Day opened for her but we got there a little late into Howie's set.

BUT as we were entering he was playing U2's "One" :tongue: Of what I saw, he was good. I've been trying to download his original songs but I keep finding covers he does.

Anyway....anyone else see Tori? This was my first time seeing her live and the whole time I was just like...O_O I WANT TO BE HER. :tongue:

My girlfriend's roomate went to that show. Turns out we were at the same U2 show in June last year, too. My girlfriend's never been to a concert though. I'm gonna have to change that.

Dang.. she's changed that set around awesomely! I went to the tour launch last week and it was nothing like that!! :drool:

That sounds great Mona-very nice b-day present :)

Howie Day is from Maine-I love his voice. Ghost gets a lot of airplay on my favorite local station. You can hear a cool version of it it here,and they have some other clips too. I didn't know he covers One-very smart boy :D

It's at the bottom of the page..

http://www.wbos.com/sites.shtml

:up: way to go, Mona! I've seen her twice and will see her again in December. Yeah, she changes setlists every night which is why her fans are almost as bad as U2 fans about following her around.

Glad you got to see her. "Precious Things" hasn't made an appearance yet on this tour. It was a staple on the last couple of tours so maybe she's temporarily retired it.

Just back from the Tori show in Denver...it was amazing. I had seats to die for--5th row center, directly in front of Tori with a completely unobstructed view--and she was gorgeous, her voice was flawless, she seemed so happy. Just radiant. Here's the setlist (numbers in parenthesis indicate how many times each song has been played on the tour--note we got the debut of "Carbon" :heart: and "Liquid Diamonds" :heart: which made me very happy!)

AND, somebody kept holding up a sign that said "New Mexico" and she said "I AM coming to Albuquerque next year." She's skipped us the last couple of tours so I'm so happy she'll be coming back!

Oh--and Mona, we got Precious Things! Sorry :(

Denver, Colorado 12/05/02

1. Wampum Prayer (21)
2. A Sorta Fairytale (21)
3. Little Earthquakes (6)
4. Pancake (20)
5. Horses (9)
6. Sweet Sangria (21)
7. Sugar (10)
8. Playboy Mommy (5)
9. Wednesday (21)
----------
10. Winter (solo) (5)
11. Carbon (solo) (1)
12. Twinkle (solo) (2)
13. Your Cloud (8)
----------
14. Take to the Sky (17)
15. Liquid Diamonds (1)
16. Taxi Ride (15)
17. Precious Things (8)
18. I Can't See New York (21)
19. Spring Haze (21)
----------
20. Cornflake Girl (18)
21. Tear in Your Hand (15)
----------
22. Space Dog (5)
23. Hey Jupiter (11)

joyfulgirl said:

Oh--and Mona, we got Precious Things! Sorry :(

2. A Sorta Fairytale (21)
6. Sweet Sangria (21)
16. Taxi Ride (15)
17. Precious Things (8)
18. I Can't See New York (21)
20. Cornflake Girl (18)
21. Tear in Your Hand (15)

I knew I should've gone to her show in VA if only for these songs!!! :banghead:

Precious Things and Tear In Your Hand....:drool:

I am so addicted to "Taxi Ride" right now. It makes me sad :(, but I :heart: it. Anyone know what it means? I've been searching the web, but can't find anything. :shrug:

dizzy said:

I am so addicted to "Taxi Ride" right now. It makes me sad :(, but I :heart: it. Anyone know what it means? I've been searching the web, but can't find anything. :shrug:

Here you go, straight from the horses' mouth:

In the harrowing Taxi Ride, she addresses the tragic death of gay celebrity makeup artist - and her close friend - Kevyn Aucoin. "The odd thing about Taxi Ride was that this song was being written before he died, and he even heard that line, just another dead fag to you. I was writing it as part of another song about a gay guy who was dying of AIDS. He miraculously recovered, and the song didn't get written. It started propelling itself again early this year, and Kevyn and I were having conversations. And I didn't know what was coming. But I knew he was in a lot of pain, and he felt betrayed by people who weren't there when he was in need. Then everybody who shows up in his death can give a statement, but they weren't there in the trenches. His death brought up a lot of things in people- some lovely and some despicable and disgusting. Taxi is for Kevyn."
-- Tori; Out Magazine, Nov 2002

and this

"When she gets to, um, Chicago, she's meeting up with people - mostly women - who have lost a gay friend. And in his death, she's uhh kind of seeing what it brings out in people, and who some of these women really are. Not who she thought they were. Disillusionment again. Um, and in some cases, she kind of knew all along...with some of them. Some of it didn't surprise her. But she's seeing what, again, what people are really made up of. And you know, this isn't the outside now. This is not the enemy. The terrorist, you know, the terrorism just happened back in New York City. This is something, these were friends, acquaintances, maybe in some cases. And the betrayal is there. So the idea of betrayal, you know, there's...there're all sorts. There are all kinds of betrayal. And I think she's trying to come to terms with that inside. The betrayal of an outside force, where then you become defensive and nationalistic. And then the betrayal that, wow, you're completely stripped bare because it's from the inside. It's an inside job. I really liked the idea that Scarlet takes a taxi all the way...all the way down. Because, let's face it, the people - she doesn't want to hitch a ride with anybody she knows, are you kidding me? I kind of loved the idea that all these things can happen in a stranger's car. It's always fascinated me, you know, the things that I see in taxi cabs over the years all over the world. So that's a little bit of my own kind of read on it."
-- Scarlet Stories CD

OMG, "Taxi Ride" is for Kevyn Aucoin? :( That's so sad. I've read a bit about Kevyn and his life.

He has got to be one of the best make-up artists, ever.

Thanks for the info, joyfulgirl. :)

Tori & Kevyn:

kevyn.gif

Tori by Kevyn:

imnot.jpg

rattle.jpg

real.jpg

Okay, I think I should get more Tori Amos cds. I used to just listen to my friends' cds. I only have the latest and Little Earthquakes. What do you suggest I get next? :confused:

Under the Pink and Boys for Pele :hyper:

I didn't know that Taxi Ride was specifically for Kevyn.
I knew it was about AIDS in the Gay community and the stereotypes that exist. I always took it to mean that Lily was the "just another dead fag," but perhaps Lily was the one of the betrayers.

Thanks for the articles joyful girl, it's an incredibley sad song. :sad:

daisybean said:
Under the Pink and Boys for Pele :hyper:

Thanks for the articles joyful girl, it's an incredibley sad song. :sad:

yes, and with a deceptively upbeat feel

Dizzy > I vote for Boys for Pele!! But if you love Little Earthquakes, you will love Under the Pink and probably Boys for Pele. In my opinion, Pele is her masterpiece but you can't go wrong with Pink either.

Back
Top Bottom