Top Films of the Decade - The 1990s - Voting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lazarus - I was posting this yesterday while we were discussing but was pulled from the computer for family affairs and didn't get back for a few hours. Anyways, I hope there's no hard feelings because I enjoy your posts too much. And I'd hate to think everytime you see my name you'll be saying to yourself "what an a-hole". :lol:

Unlike some reviewers who you mentioned may have had an agenda before the fact, I was excited about seeing this film because like I said, I was a huge Kubrick fan (certainly not a film major or anything like that), just a movie fan, and it had been a long time since his last film. Full Metal Jacket I believe, and that was still in the 80's ( could be wrong on that). But still, almost 10 years between films. And from what I had read before release, sounded very promising. So the letdown for me was pretty big.

I know my points are general, but like I said, I'm just a fan. And I will concede you this point because you wondered how I had the patience for Barry Lyndon but not EWS. When BL came out, I did sorta cast it aside like many others because it was such a departure from Clockwork, Strangelove. Films we were still digesting, along with 2001. But my favorite Kubrick film to watch now is Barry Lyndon, because I never gave it the attention it deserved when released. 30 years later, here I am, enjoying a film that I sorta ignored decades ago :huh: So my hope is that the same thing will happen eventually with EWS, and if it does I'll be sure to let you know so you can say "I told you so", :lol: though I won't be able to wait 30 years again cuz I'll probably be dead :) Yeah, I'm old :(

But until that happens, when I need a Kubrick fix of jealousy, obsession and perverted sexual undertones, I'm sticking with Lolita :drool: :wink:

Now make us Americans proud with your 60's list :up:

Thank you for the additional words, and of course no hard feelings. It's good to have an intelligent discussion about film, because they're hard to find.

I do have to add though, I'm a HUGE fan of Nabokov's novel Lolita, and I think Kubrick's adaptation may be his worst film. And I know that Nabokov wrote the screenplay himself, though it's difficult to say what contributions Stanley made. I think Peter Sellers, while entertaining as usual, is a little too OTT, and shouldn't have been such a huge part of the film. I think the whole thing is played a bit too much for laughs--even though Humbert is an often witty narrator in the book, the story is still a tragedy (for both of its main characters), and should have been treated a bit less flippantly.

The '98 Adrian Lyne version, while perhaps a bit too downbeat, was tonally closer to what I loved about the novel. Irons was about as perfect a Humbert as one could imagine, and while Frank Langella didn't fill Sellers' shoes, he didn't really try to, keeping the character in the background until the end. The later version had the benefit of being made when the subject was easier to treat in a more serious fashion, thought it still failed to find a U.S. theatrical release, which is a shame. Morricone contributed a beautiful score and I think it's a very underrated film.

Anyway, just for the hell of it, my Kubrick rankings (I encourage all to share):

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Paths of Glory
4. Eyes Wide Shut
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. The Shining
7. The Killing
8. Barry Lyndon
9. Spartacus
10. Full Metal Jacket
11. Lolita

Like the list Laz. I would change very little :wink:

And I agree wholeheartedly with the reviews. I liked the Lyne version more than Kubrick's and their was little hint from Sellars of what was soon to come. :up:

:)

lazarus said:
Thank you for the additional words, and of course no hard feelings. It's good to have an intelligent discussion about film, because they're hard to find.

I do have to add though, I'm a HUGE fan of Nabokov's novel Lolita, and I think Kubrick's adaptation may be his worst film. And I know that Nabokov wrote the screenplay himself, though it's difficult to say what contributions Stanley made. I think Peter Sellers, while entertaining as usual, is a little too OTT, and shouldn't have been such a huge part of the film. I think the whole thing is played a bit too much for laughs--even though Humbert is an often witty narrator in the book, the story is still a tragedy (for both of its main characters), and should have been treated a bit less flippantly.

The '98 Adrian Lyne version, while perhaps a bit too downbeat, was tonally closer to what I loved about the novel. Irons was about as perfect a Humbert as one could imagine, and while Frank Langella didn't fill Sellers' shoes, he didn't really try to, keeping the character in the background until the end. The later version had the benefit of being made when the subject was easier to treat in a more serious fashion, thought it still failed to find a U.S. theatrical release, which is a shame. Morricone contributed a beautiful score and I think it's a very underrated film.

Anyway, just for the hell of it, my Kubrick rankings (I encourage all to share):

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Paths of Glory
4. Eyes Wide Shut
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. The Shining
7. The Killing
8. Barry Lyndon
9. Spartacus
10. Full Metal Jacket
11. Lolita

Nice list. I'd have Clockwork higher, I just love that film lots. Strangelove is my #1 as well. I've yet to see The Killing, however.

I wish I could have a more intelligent discourse on film, but I just lack the proper.....lexicon, maybe, the proper words to convey my thoughts into proper terms. I know what I like and dislike, and why, but cannot really give a long and meaningful review like I could for a book or a sporting event or even a trip.

Fire bad!

See?

Last edited:
Lancemc said:

Personal taste, blah blah, yeah I know. But this is a list of the greatest films of the decade. And a lot of this stuff is just too damn funny not to mention.

At least mine's honest rather than a list that just makes you feel important; read off some list some geek on the Sundance Channel came up with.

Princess Mononoke. Da----ork.

Oh and T2? Please, yes, you are definately a effete movie goer. Oooh, or should I have said "film" instead, fat man in a little coat.

No spoken words said:

Nice list. I'd have Clockwork higher, I just love that film lots. Strangelove is my #1 as well. I've yet to see The Killing, however.

I wish I could have a more intelligent discourse on film, but I just lack the proper.....lexicon, maybe, the proper words to convey my thoughts into proper terms. I know what I like and dislike, and why, but cannot really give a long and meaningful review like I could for a book or a sporting event or even a trip.

Fire bad!

See?

Hey, that was a great review of Frankenstein you just gave!

It's easy.

Snowlock said:

At least mine's honest rather than a list that just makes you feel important; read off some list some geek on the Sundance Channel came up with.

Princess Mononoke. Da----ork.

Oh and T2? Please, yes, you are definately a effete movie goer. Oooh, or should I have said "film" instead, fat man in a little coat.

Mine's an honest list too champ. I just happen to honestly not like complete shit.

And that's fine if liking Princess Mononoke makes me a dork. Because if so, liking half the stuff you do so much makes you a well... well I guess that just means you have bad taste.

Snowlock said:
1. Braveheart
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Bram Stoker's Dracula
4. Air Force One
5. Tombstone
6. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
7. The Rock
8. The Matrix
9. Under Seige
10. The Patriot
11. Independence Day
12. Die Hard II
13. Tommy Boy
14. Resevoir Dogs
15. The Fugitive

Still sick to this day TPM wasn't good enough to crack the top 5.

The Patriot came out in '00, btw.

Die Hard II over With a Vengeance? Elaborate please. :wink:

lazarus said:

Hey, that was a great review of Frankenstein you just gave!

It's easy.

Nice Lazarus :up:

I've got the same problem, NSW. Except I'm a long winded bag of hot air :wink:

How 'bout this for a 2001 review:

Sticks good ! :)

elevated_u2_fan said:

seriously, you chose Die Hard II over the original? WTF? The only list DH2 belongs on is a worst films list imo :tsk:

The original is from the '80s though, so that's fair.

But the shitty 2nd one over the 3rd one? Come on.

Maybe it's because I love the dynamic between Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis (one reason I absolutely love Unbreakable.), but it's a sequel done right (original director, fresh setting/situation, references the original but doesn't rip off.)

And Jeremy Irons' terrible German accent is too funny to not be noted.

:der:

Got it. I think we're ready for the big show.

Boy NSW, I give 2001 :up: Sticks good!

Fully agree Hardy, Fire bad! :up:

Now our next film is.................... :)

Naw, Big Kahuna burger. I'm just about to wash it down with a tasty beverage.

The lists will be posted in a master list after the '60s thread, the '00s list has already been compiled. I'm glad this thread got a bigger response than the '00s... I might open that back up again to those who missed it before.

Voting can close at the end of the day tomorrow and we'll move into the '80s list, if that's all the same to you guys.

It's upcoming, don't worry. :wink:

That'll be the last official list that I'll do.

What?! You can't quit now!

Or do you just mean that you don't know enough films from the 50's?

All you need to do is brush on some Golden Age Hitchcock, which should take up like 3-4 spots on the list, some mid-period John Ford, maybe some Fritz Lang, a couple Orson Welles, and Samuel Fuller.

And I'd throw in a musical or two, preferrably Vincente Minnelli ones.

No problem.

:goestomake50'slist:

I have no problem admitting that I could not do a 50's list. I maybe should remedy that. I could do a 50's music or literature list, why not films. Fuck.

Peckinpah only did TV until the 60's. It's all Ford as far as Westerns were concerned.

Some foreign stuff you would want to consider would be early Kurosawa, Fellini, & early Bergman. Hate to say it but the U.S. really dominated this decade. The 60's is where it really broke wide for Italy, France, Japan, etc.

Sounds good. I kept running down a list of films I could remember pre-1970, and they were either from the '60s or late '40s, that's a little odd.

Back
Top Bottom